2002 Nissan Frontier - aka Road RagE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Nissan Frontier - aka Road RagE

I've posted this on a few other sites (H|Forums, Pheaton Forums and Bit-Tech) but thought I'd add it here as well.

In a nutshell, started off with this "car":

fully with the intention of putting in a "carputer".

First thing to go in was a Motorola CDM1250 two-way radio (second day after buying it):

Space in this little truck is at a premium. For some reason, I had originally thought I was going to put the "carputer" in a Nema enclosure under the driver's seat but that was a pipe-dream. Turned out the only real place was going to be behind it. So, I used some cardboard to make a "form" to see the available space:

and built an MDF box from that form:

The box was painted and carpeted and the guts installed:

That is a Shuttle FV24 mobo with a 1GHz Celeron, 256M PC133, 80G WD Special, Keypower KP-DX250H (minus the housing) and Pioneer 103S DVD drive.

Again, since it is such a liitle truck, there was not much room for the display so I figured installing it in the sun visor would be best:

Using the center piece of cardboard, I made an MDF form and wrapped it with fleece to coat with resin. The fabric pieces of the sun visor were brought to an upholstery shop to have text stitched on and here is the final result:

Somewhere along the way, I had decided that the factory stereo (Rockford Fosgate) just wasn't putting out the bass I wanted so decided to upgrade. Unfortunately, once again, there is little to no room so picked out the "tombstone shape" in the back seat as the best spot:

So built a sonotube and MDF enclosure:

and fibreglassed it:

finally, it was sanded, bondo'd:

and painted and the sub installed:

I took the seat back to an upholstery shop and had the "tombstone" surgically removed:

and that night in went the sub:

By this point, the front components (which also were replaced) had been installed as well as the amps:

The head unit was swapped out for a CDA-9815

Comment

And finally, the "carputer" went in:

This is the combo keyboard/mouse I'm using:

My truck now:

Still not done yet though. Next, I have to finish the GlobalStar install. It is half in now, but I ran out of room for the cradle. Going to build a new center console.

Comment

Nice looking setup,, is that just reflective tape on the side of the truck? or is it actually lit-up, ie: EL lighting?

also, you oughta look into getting a smaller CPU setup. Your current setup, although clean looking, is also quite bulky in appearance. You oughta get something like this : http://www.casetronic.com/Product/Ba...minicheck.html
        My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
        Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

Actually someone here already posted a link to your other forum
          NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
          If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

What a talent with handy work. I wish I could have some talents like your.

Nice setup.

and I really really like this:

Comment

not mutch room left for the people in the back is there.

Comment

There was never room for people in the back. My daughter still has her spot so all is well.

Comment

Great job! I really liked the sub enclosure - it's a slick idea and came out great!

- Jeff
                  95 Mustang GT Convertible
                  87 Mustang GT Convertible
                  My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

Comment

did you get payed to stick those stickers on the side

Comment

PS-RagE, I'm glad you posted this over here. FroddoBaggins posted a link when you first posted on at [H]. it looks great. keep us posted on any additions or anything.
                      "The Great Boob"

Comment

Hey rage how many hours do you think it took you to sand out that box? What grit did you finish at? Did you use any sorta of filler or did you bondo-sand-primer-paint?

Comment

Wassup Rage ...I've seen this before...
                          [H]4 Life
                          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by SWYZ721
                            Hey rage how many hours do you think it took you to sand out that box? What grit did you finish at? Did you use any sorta of filler or did you bondo-sand-primer-paint?
                            Knowing what I know now, I could probably build another in two or three days. That one took around five weeks. I was using a dremel and an electric random-orbit sander and that was some slow going. My brother-in-law showed me the proper way using a pneumatic orbital sander and an air-file and that was exponentially faster.

The bondo was taken to a 600 grit and the primer was wet sanded to 1500 before the paint went on. We did use some glazing putty for the occasional air-pocket but there were not many.

Comment

Originally posted by PS-RagE
                              Knowing what I know now, I could probably build another in two or three days. That one took around five weeks. I was using a dremel and an electric random-orbit sander and that was some slow going. My brother-in-law showed me the proper way using a pneumatic orbital sander and an air-file and that was exponentially faster.

The bondo was taken to a 600 grit and the primer was wet sanded to 1500 before the paint went on. We did use some glazing putty for the occasional air-pocket but there were not many.
                              Well I ask becuase I plan on doing an armrest/floor console (kinda like where the shifter would be if it was on the floor, put simply a divider between the passenger and driver, but in the end I would like it to look like yours, which is some beatiful work by the way, and was just interested in how you went about it. I will be purchasing an electric random-orby in a little bit, air powered is a little to rich for me, but just for sake how much of a difference was it between the pneumatic and the electric? Also if ya got any tips for me before I start? What kind of paint did you use?

Comment

Working...
                              X