1982 Lincoln Continental Carputer install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Lincoln Continental Carputer install

(UPDATED PICTURES ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SECOND PAGE 2-1-2004) Well, I finally got my new carputer installed, below are some pics of the build process and installation. I had already installed the 10.4" touchscreen into the dash on the previous install, and I didn't take any pictures . Well, here it is:

My 1982 Lincoln! I love this car, too bad it is so old, new problems seem to pop up on me just as fast as I fix the previous ones.

A fresh sheet of Acrylic (Plexiglass) ready to be turned into a case

My brand new M10000 Nehemiah board!!

My new power supply, with all the unessentials stripped off, (ie: Pentium 4 connector, case, etc.. )

This is the ONLY bit I have found yet for a dremel that cuts plexi easily, too bad it is $15 alone.

Slicing a slit into the plexi with my dremel
    My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

continued of above thread

Breaking the plexi along the seam I just cut

A pile of cut panels,, I hope I measured right

Epoxying the bottom and three of the sides in place

Skipping a few steps: I realised I had a flaw in my plans, I was going to GLUE the top panel on! leaving me no access to the guts of my carputer, I quickly ran to the local hardware store and bought these little hinges

My Epia and two hard drives installed, not a millimeter to spare on the bottom, looks like I measured right

The future front panel, with power plug, and power switch installed
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

The power supply is installed, and you can see how the hinge setup works,,

First firing,, IT WORKS!! Windows XP has already started installing.

Here it is getting its first powered on test in the car, this was a few days later after setting up all the software

This is my custom made power switch relay thingy, It turns the computer on with the key, but lets the computer stay on until it is actually powered down, and it powers down the inverter with it

It is now mounted on the underside of the back decklid, it is on little rails so that it can pull out easily if needed.

There, that looks a little better,

Media Engine playing mp3's on my 10.4" Touchscreen

Media Engine playing A movie,, Aqua Teen Hunger force to be specific, (very funny show!!)

And,, thats about it,,

Comment

for the dremel, have you tried the heavy duty cut off wheels? I use those to cut steel and such, just gotta keep them at low speeds so you dont melt the plexi, and they are about 5 bucks for 15. BTW what keyboard is that?
        2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

what kind of epoxy did you use for the case??? I used some Epoxy Pro on mine and it didnt hold all too well.
          2004 F-150
          Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
          "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Comment

Originally posted by binary.h4x
            for the dremel, have you tried the heavy duty cut off wheels? I use those to cut steel and such, just gotta keep them at low speeds so you dont melt the plexi, and they are about 5 bucks for 15. BTW what keyboard is that?
            I tried the normal cut-off wheels, and they would constantly break on me,

and the keyboard I bought from a local computer shop, here it is on another site: http://www.techcessories.com/Product...K_600HM_pg.htm

Originally posted by RaZor
            what kind of epoxy did you use for the case??? I used some Epoxy Pro on mine and it didnt hold all too well.
            It is an epoxy made by LocTite, just called Plastic Epoxy, it sets in like 5 minutes, so it is easy to work with, and seems plenty strong so far.

Comment

good job, you have inspired to me to make plexi case instead of wood. hope that brightens your day
              92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

lol nice install, but what is up with the vauxhall theme lol

also any gen with the relay thing?

Comment

good job on the plexi case
                  -
                  My cars
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by guitar333
                    good job, you have inspired to me to make plexi case instead of wood. hope that brightens your day
                    Thanks! If you need any advice on the plexi, I have made enough errors to know what to avoid I think. just ask away

Originally posted by belmontboy
                    lol nice install, but what is up with the vauxhall theme lol

also any gen with the relay thing?
                    Well here in the states we don't have a "vauxhall" so to anyone here the symbol is meaningless, but it is neat looking . I keep meaning to have a skin made with a lincoln emblem,,

confused by your second question

Originally posted by jol
                    good job on the plexi case
                    Thanks! I was pleased with how well it turned out.

Comment

Do you have any plans for the custom relay switch that you made?

Comment

use the fiberglass cutting wheels (the blue ones). 5 for $5.
                        24 y/o w/ Silver/Red
                        2000 Honda S2000

http://www.squeezer.net

Comment

Hey man looks good. I just got myself an 86 lincoln cont givenchy(fun cars). It was finny cause I was just looking at it yesterday thinking how nice it wold look to mold a touch screen in place if the stereo. Did you completly remove the factory computer in the upper dash
                          2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4DR
                          Aleroputer 90% done (ripped out and being rewired)
                          MYMODS:
                          Pioneer Head unit in a remote location, Clarion Amp, XM Satilite Radio, 2 10" Audiobahn DVC Subs wired 1 ohm in a bandpass box, Grill Mesh, Halo Guages

Comment

Originally posted by aleromaster
                            Hey man looks good. I just got myself an 86 lincoln cont givenchy(fun cars). It was finny cause I was just looking at it yesterday thinking how nice it wold look to mold a touch screen in place if the stereo. Did you completly remove the factory computer in the upper dash
                            Yup, I completely removed the computer and status panel that was below it. although the computer was required to make the Electronic dash work, so I just gutted it to the bare boards, and moved it further inside the dash. I then had to cut quite a bit of bracing and plastic supports out in order for it to all fit. My only worry is putting it back together when I go to sell the car

Comment

Working...
                            X