2000 Benz ML320 CarPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Benz ML320 CarPC

Actually started building my CarPC. I still haven't picked a mobo. Guess,I'm committed now.

EDIT:
    The 1st pic is my car's stock MCS (Module Control System) which is a double DIN cassette stereo unit that integrates with navigation/CD changer/cell phone. (With all the fingerprints, you might think it's a touch screen, but it's not and it only displays GPS video, unless you opt for a $1200 mod by NAV-TV.com The unit's entire front panel with the the 5" LCD screen folds down to reveal the cassette player in the lower DIN and the GPS navigation drive in the upper DIN. Since I don't have the navigation unit, my upper DIN was empty, so I thought it was a perfect place to put the DVD-CD-RW drive and a media card reader.

The 2nd pic shows the installed Slot SlimDVD/CD-RW, Media Card Reader, and USB 2.0 port in the empty DVD-Navigation bay.

I wanted to post a picture as the official starting point, just to chronical how long it takes me to finish.
    Attached Files
    Scott

MCS-PC
    Epia M-10000
    XP Pro; 512MB; 60GB (2.5")
    Panasonic Slot SlimDVD/CD-RW
    7" Lilliput (Touchscreen)
    Casetronic C137 w/ 90W PSU (Temp)
    19V Laptop Adapter (Temp)

Hey that's pretty cool! So you re-using all the navi housing/control/screen etc...?
    In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Bunny's first poo
    __ U

Comment

Wow looks factory! Great job. Will you be sending a video feed to the navi screen?
      - 3+ years & still no carputer!
      - Done collecting parts
      - Currently planning setup

Comment

Yes, I'm using the empty DVD-Navigation bay for the drive; however the only integration will be the audio line in using the CD-Changer plug.

No, it doesn't display video, except from GPS. Although Nav-TV.com will modify the HU to accept a video feed, but $$$. I've got a Lilliput, just trying to decide where to mount.

Thanks for the kind words.
        Scott

MCS-PC
        Epia M-10000

Comment

Originally posted by ose-ml320
          Yes, I'm using the empty DVD-Navigation bay for the drive; however the only integration will be the audio line in using the CD-Changer plug.

No, it doesn't display video, except from GPS. Although Nav-TV.com will modify the HU to accept a video feed, but $$$. I've got a Lilliput, just trying to decide where to mount.

Thanks for the kind words.
          If you decide to get rid of the stock navi, you could mount the Lilliput where the old screen/controls are- that would be pretty cool with the drives behind it.
          In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")
          Bunny's first poo
          __ U

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti
            If you decide to get rid of the stock navi, you could mount the Lilliput where the old screen/controls are- that would be pretty cool with the drives behind it.
            Unfortunately, I don't have the skills to manufacture that setup. I had enough trouble cutting the plastic faceplate for the drive to poke through.
            Scott

MCS-PC
            Epia M-10000

Comment

What size is the current LCD in the NAV unit? you could theoretically swap out the LCD's, wouldn't have to do much mounting, just take apart your lilliput and swap it out. If I had that type of setup thats what I would try I guess.

But the drives look awesome and they do certainly look factory good job.
              New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

IIRC, it's 5" viewable
                Scott

MCS-PC
                Epia M-10000

Comment

Well that kinda sux, either way you got a nice setup I'm anxious to see it when its done. I need to get off of my lazy @$$ and post pics of my setup.

Nice job though.
                  New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

Where did you buy that screen from?

Comment

unless your talking about the lilliput, the screen is the pic is stock
                      92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

Where did you pick up the Card reader combo and USB thingy?

What size is it? Is that a standard floppy drive size or ???

Very cool BTW...

Comment

Originally posted by JeeP-3
                          Where did you pick up the Card reader combo and USB thingy?

What size is it? Is that a standard floppy drive size or ???

Very cool BTW...
                          Ebay,($27 with shipping) Media card reader

Yes it fits in a 3.5 floppy bay, in fact I used a 5.25 mounting bracket designed for a combo SlimDVD/3.5 floppy to hold the card reader and the drive, after cutting off the face plate of the mounting kit.
                          Scott

MCS-PC
                          Epia M-10000

Comment

UPDATE: (no new pictures to see)

Well, I had very lofty plans (MicroATX P4 mobo with 250GB hard drive, ATI All-in-wonder, blah blah blah) for my CarPC, but the only case that would fit under my passenger seat, that supported PCI cards, was the Casetronice C137, and it was going to take too much "hacking" to get a microATX board & PSU in there. I was also a bit worried about heat, fans and noise.

But most importantly, I wanted something working for a Thanksgiving trip TODAY.

Sooo, I made a last minute decision to go the EPIA M-10000. Put it together last night and have it sitting on the floor, not "installed" yet. The Casetronic 90W PSU with the 19V laptop car adapter seems to work just fine.

As I was testing it in the house last night with some cheap PC speakers, I thought the onbourd sound was very "tin"ey, no bass, so I figured I would have to do like others and get an external sound card, HOWEVER, when I put it in the car this car morning it sounded great to me. I guess it has to do with the stock sub-woofer in my car.

WARNING: I'm not a "stereo-guy", I have the stock stereo, no amps and what not, and I don't get *****y about FM radio quality. So you may care more, but to me it sounds just that same as from my CD player. Your ears may be different, but I'm very pleased with the onboard sound.

I have the Lilliput sitting (again not installed) right in front of my gear shift. powered from the 90W PSU.

My only complaints so far are the visualizations in MediaCar are waaayyy slowww, compare to my 2.4Ghz, which doesn't really matter because the glare on the Lilliput is HORRENDOUS. ARGH!!! Should be ok at night

Other than that it's one of the coolest things I've ever done with computers.

A big thanks to everyone here.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.
                            Scott

MCS-PC
                            Epia M-10000

Comment

UPDATE:

No problems with the M-10000 and the C137.

I like the C137, except that I have to slide it under the passenger seat and THEN connect all the cables. Not much room to work so that was fairly tough.

I wanted to test a fairly straight forward setup so I currently have the DVD attached via IDE in the C137, rather than the firewire. I was uncertain about grounding issues with the dash mounted DVD and firewire bridge, so I now have a baseline to judge from. (for when I do the dash install)

The laptop DC adapter works very well, except it (as expected) won't survive an ignition crank. Also it is fanless, which means quiet. I don't know how noisy the OPUS fan is. I also like the idea of being able to remove the C137 from the car (before I found out how difficult it is) and use an ac adapter to power it inside, when I go away for the weekend. So I'm "sort of" re-considering the OPUS, since manually shutting it down is not that big of a deal for me.

Can't hear the M-10000's CPU fan, but the C137 case fan is VERY noisy so I disconnected it. After a 2 hour trip of watching movies the cpu was about 117F and the case was 107F, measured with MBM5. This didn't seem too bad to me, but I haven't asked around for opinions. I plan on either placing a quieter fan or speed regulator on the current fan.

The only real troubles I've had are with the screen. It's placed where the glare makes it virtually unusable if it's a sunny day, and the Touchscreen plastic film comes loose when it's cold, so that it also keeps "pressing" the lower right hand corner of the screen. I'm gonna try and get a replacement, so I will probably wait till I resolve that before I get the OPUS.

Again I'm surpirsed and very pleased with the sound quality, although I've heard others complain.
                              Scott

MCS-PC
                              Epia M-10000

Comment

Working...
                              X