Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2002 Nissan Altima CarPC Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2002 Nissan Altima CarPC Project

    Heck I may as well start a thread now. The hardware has all been up on the bench, and now I need to get it in the car. Step one is the screen going into the dash which I put a few hours into today.

    I cut up the front of the Lilliput housing to remove the almost useless buttons. The power button and remote sensor will be relocated remotely.

    I used 1/8"model aircraft light birch plywood, medium cyanoacrylate, Sig Microballoons, and Evercoat Metal Glaze filler.

    EDIT: That original screen described above has since been superseded by this one:



    It has two of the 350Z Gauge pods and the center dash storage compartment molded in. Better pics after its installed.
    Fabricator

  • #2
    looks like its going to turn out nice
    01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
    01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

    beer replenishment fund
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
    mp3car live search

    i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Damn I wish I had a modern car so I could do something like that. Nice job mate!
      Philip Plante
      my projects:
      idgn.org | idgnonline.net | contrastsolutions.net

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice job man. I wanted to do the same thing but I didnt have the room or a place to do something like that. I started to in my apt..but the fumes started making everyone sick. What did you do with your ac controlls?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by zijester
          Nice job man. I wanted to do the same thing but I didnt have the room or a place to do something like that. I started to in my apt..but the fumes started making everyone sick. What did you do with your ac controlls?
          Oops I just realized this forum is for finished projects only. Mods delete if necessary). I guess projects in process interest me as much as finished ones....

          The A/C controls are directly beneath this panel. I lost my vents, but I may try to put them back in above the LCD.
          Fabricator

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Altimat
            The A/C controls are directly beneath this panel. I lost my vents, but I may try to put them back in above the LCD.
            I lost the vents in my jeep doing the install. who needs those vents anyway? the side ones do the trick

            Reloaciting them sounds difficult. If you do get any ideas for practical means of routing the air (i thought it would be nearly impossible in a tight space) make sure you post about it!

            moderators: if you feel this topic is inapropriate for the subforum move it... don't kill it... i want to see this progress
            car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

            Comment


            • #7
              Hey' I've got my 2002 Altima dash on my living room table too! Hehe. Finally there's someone else out there doing something interesting with the Alty. I'll have to stop by when you've got some more pics- looks great so far!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by droswell
                Hey' I've got my 2002 Altima dash on my living room table too! Hehe. Finally there's someone else out there doing something interesting with the Alty. I'll have to stop by when you've got some more pics- looks great so far!
                Excellent! What are your plans with the car??

                I just installed the DVD player. It just barely fits! Here is the the original panel and the modded one:



                I saved the DVD logo, the activity LED, and the eject button. I filled the CD logo, the headphone jack, and the volume control.

                IDE to USB Converter gutted from external drive case and mounted to drive:



                Other side showing remote mounted power switch and LED:

                Fabricator

                Comment


                • #9
                  This looks great. I wish I could create something like that

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Awesome job, I'm anxious to see the final product, keep up the good work
                    New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      WOW! Your install is looking very clean! I am currently reinstalling everything on my car and it all looks about as clean as your's does. I know the extra time thats put in to make everything look clean even though it might not be seen once its all put together and I really respect your work here.

                      Would you mind taking a quick picture of the pieces fitted together inside the car? I am anxious to see how the individual pieces look in the car.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Beautiful man... very beautiful... I'm definitely jealous!!! Where did you get those L shaped clips that are holding your DVD to that piece of wood? That is a 120s right? People who have that have been complaining about the load mechanism... how do you see it?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          good work. Looks great.
                          car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Crav4Speed
                            Beautiful man... very beautiful... I'm definitely jealous!!! Where did you get those L shaped clips that are holding your DVD to that piece of wood? That is a 120s right? People who have that have been complaining about the load mechanism... how do you see it?
                            The load mechanism kinda sucks, but it works and the price was right. I tried adding some lube inside but it didn't help much. I hope it'll "break in" and start working better. My biggest complaint is the amount of pressure you have to use to push in the disc.
                            The mounting clips are cut from scrap aluminum about 20 gauge.
                            Fabricator

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ELEmental59437
                              WOW! Your install is looking very clean! I am currently reinstalling everything on my car and it all looks about as clean as your's does. I know the extra time thats put in to make everything look clean even though it might not be seen once its all put together and I really respect your work here.

                              Would you mind taking a quick picture of the pieces fitted together inside the car? I am anxious to see how the individual pieces look in the car.
                              I'd love to take a pic, but I still have to paint the stuff before I can install it. Although I'm an electronics tech now, I was a bodyman and did restorations for 15 years, and built R/C models for 20 years so this part of the job is what I excel at. Its the PC and coding stuff that stumps me at times.

                              But yes, I'm definitely a fan of the integrated look. I want it to look like it came this way from the factory.
                              Fabricator

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X