Yo guys (and girls?)
Yesterday my FIRST ever carputer was done... The computer is a 1Ghz Epia M10000 with 256Mb Ram, 160Gb disk and Opus 90W. Let me tell you therewill be more if you like what you see!
(First I want to say sorry for some of the bad pictures, but thats what you get when you only have your mobile in hand)
I started constructing in October with this butt-ugly chassi:
After getting that far a friend showed me an Xbox (just regular Microsoft xbox) which he had chipped and modded so he opened the chassi and showed me... A took some meassurments and found that a Xbox chassi would be perfect for building my carputer in...
Went to a chipping-store the next day and bought a empty chassi! (25$)
Anyway, cut out all the plastic pices inside that were in way with my Dremmel
Wanted a fan in the top so I had to kill the Xbox logo (WARNING: Xbox lovers you wont like this)
When was on my way cutting the whole chassi in pices I thought maybe I could change the green diods in the front to another color so that it wouldn't look 100% factory made... The result after moding the front (red light round the eject button, eject button is now on/off switch, standard on/off is now reboot button)
Then my Liliput arrived from germany before christmas (larger picture so I just give a link for you guys with better bandwidth )
Next up I hooked the twin-usb+twin-FW where the original DVD-device was
Still wanted to bring the factory-look forward so I bought the DVD-font (the black panel where it sais XBOX) and made it to a door for the USB+FW connections
Then at last my Opus arrived just two weeks ago!!!
Finally I had everything I needed to finish the Carputer project (didn't take any pictures of the Opus installation since it just was to connect and go)
(tnx to my bro "hagge3" for these last pics)
(the opus has been placed just over the harddrive after these pics)
And then after some hours in the car testing it, it works!
Regarding the car install:
Just wired the + and ign. to the + on the battery and - to - on the battery... All this was done in my wintercar (an Opel Kadett from -83) so I didn't install the carputer, just tested it... I have a Nissan 200SX -92 and I'm planning to install it there, but I will sell the car before my military sevice this summer so I'd like to keep the carputer... Anyway, I'll get back to you with car-install pics when I've decided how to do...
NOW GUYS! Please give some comments of what you think (Both good and bad)
(damn, somehow I pressed the post button to early in the first thread, so please ignore it and read this one only)