Install in a 99 Acura TL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install in a 99 Acura TL

well, the original plan was to remove a little cd holder right above the head unit and have the lcd slide out and fold up...but it didnt fit, so....i had to flush it in the dash...spent about a week creating the bezel out of wood, bondo, and the original xenarc frame, got it painted yesterday and put in...and finished up the computer yesterday, so hopefully i'll have the sound system part of this done by the end of the week and be fully up and running..
    this is the first time ive ever used bondo so be gentle...also the plastic on the lcd is still there til i get it completed..

pics:

LCD:

backseat view of lcd:

closeup:

COMPUTER:

closed case:

open case:

Good job! Saw ur post on www.a-tl.com

Comment

looks like you forgot to take off the protective film on the LCD
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Its a very nice install, however what kills me is that you took out a Bose system for that I used to have a CL and I liked that Bose. But other than that very nice.
        Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Nice job, lol, i have the same money box on my shelf that was gonna be carved for a carputer case, went with the toolbox instead.
          2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Why does everyone think Bose is so good? I was never satisfied with it. I ripped the Bose out of My Audi A4 as well. What I replaced it with does not even compare. Well, I guess as stock systems go the Bose is ok. Maybe I am just an audiophile...
            Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
            Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

BOSE is really SUCK. A couple years ago I had an Clarion head unit and regular aftermarket Pioneer speakers in my old Sentra. When I bought the Q45, it had a Bose system with 8 speakers. The sound was so bad when compare to my old Sentra. Now after a few years I got used to the sound on my Q45. Just bought an 2001 Acura CL for my gf, I listenned to its Bose system, and it was so SUCK compared to my Q45. I don't like BOSE system at all. It is really SUCK!!!!!
              1997-2001 Infiniti Q45 link

My Q45 cardomain link

Comment

eh..im not a huge fan of the bose system..it sounds nice but its not GREAT by any means..but it was a sacrifice i had to make..having the benefits of the carpc is definitely worthwhile...any more comments? (about the car, not the bose system )

Comment

Damn Man. its soooo nice... exactly what I'm trying to do. I got 03 TL and I have everything figured out except the in-dash LCD part. I've already changed my entire sound system. Maybe you could help me out with the LCD? I'd really appreciate. If you are in the Tri-state area, I'd like to stop by to se your work.
                  Current project ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■___ 85%
                  Xenarc 700TS, Mobile Athlon 1GHz, Soyo K7VME, 30Gb HD, Slimline DVD drive, TB Santa Cruz, Opus 120W
                  Holux G210

03 Acura TL, Zapco & Precision Power amps, Adire Koda comps & EDesign 12" sub.

Comment

Originally posted by ashbosh
                    Damn Man. its soooo nice... exactly what I'm trying to do. I got 03 TL and I have everything figured out except the in-dash LCD part. I've already changed my entire sound system. Maybe you could help me out with the LCD? I'd really appreciate. If you are in the Tri-state area, I'd like to stop by to se your work.
                    I'm not exactly sure where the tri-state area is.. (hence the reason I need a GPS) ..but I'm in Pinehurst, NC...if you're interested though i'd be happy to show you or help in any way i can..the LCD part really wasnt too hard..I took a piece of wood and traced the factory stereo face onto it..then took and cut that out..then took the front bezel off the lcd, traced it on that wooden piece, and cut it out so that I had a frame..then i took bondo and filled all the gaps and all, and made it into one piece, then thickened the bondo about an inch so i would have enough to sand down..then spent the whole week sanding and filling and sanding and then primed, sanded, filled, primed, sanded, and painted..and even then there are a couple of hairline cracks and stuff..but i dont know that it could be any better

Comment

The tri-state area includes NY, NJ & CT. NC is too far for me, thanks. I have few questions though.

1. How is your LCD mounted? Is it mounted on the wood piece and then the wood piece onto the stock HU mounting holes?? I haven't received my lcd yet. so its hard for me to imagine.

2. Your paint looks nice. I think it matches up with the stock plastic. what did you paint with?

I'm thinking of adding a slimline dvd drive above/below the lcd. That way it would be easier to listen to cds and watch the dvds.
                      Xenarc 700TS, Mobile Athlon 1GHz, Soyo K7VME, 30Gb HD, Slimline DVD drive, TB Santa Cruz, Opus 120W
                      Holux G210

Comment

Originally posted by ashbosh
                        The tri-state area includes NY, NJ & CT. NC is too far for me, thanks. I have few questions though.

1. How is your LCD mounted? Is it mounted on the wood piece and then the wood piece onto the stock HU mounting holes?? I haven't received my lcd yet. so its hard for me to imagine.

2. Your paint looks nice. I think it matches up with the stock plastic. what did you paint with?

I'm thinking of adding a slimline dvd drive above/below the lcd. That way it would be easier to listen to cds and watch the dvds.

just a word of warning on the slim dvd, you'll have a tough time fitting it..it looks alot bigger than it actually is..

I took the front off the lcd and melded it into that wood frame, so its essentially all one piece, and then it bolts to the factory HU mounting location, i'll take some pics of it without the wood trim tonight..

2. the paint is from autozone, it's duplicolor interior and trim paint, color is phantom gray..it matches factory interior almost perfect, but a little bit darker, but it could be cause of the plastic in my car being 5 years old and faded a bit..

i'll have some more pics of the complete install over the weekend, i got the amps mounted and the computer mounted, usb hubs ran, and hopefully up and running tonight

Comment

Originally posted by codelogic
                          just a word of warning on the slim dvd, you'll have a tough time fitting it..it looks alot bigger than it actually is..

I took the front off the lcd and melded it into that wood frame, so its essentially all one piece, and then it bolts to the factory HU mounting location, i'll take some pics of it without the wood trim tonight..

2. the paint is from autozone, it's duplicolor interior and trim paint, color is phantom gray..it matches factory interior almost perfect, but a little bit darker, but it could be cause of the plastic in my car being 5 years old and faded a bit..

i'll have some more pics of the complete install over the weekend, i got the amps mounted and the computer mounted, usb hubs ran, and hopefully up and running tonight

just a note on the dvd drive, im actually putting a dvd drive in the center console with usb and power..

Comment

Originally posted by codelogic

Good luck and thanks for the info. Don't forget to post the pictures. I'd definately like to see how you have installed the dvd drive.
                            Holux G210

Comment

Originally posted by 97q45t
                              BOSE is really SUCK. A couple years ago I had an Clarion head unit and regular aftermarket Pioneer speakers in my old Sentra. When I bought the Q45, it had a Bose system with 8 speakers. The sound was so bad when compare to my old Sentra. Now after a few years I got used to the sound on my Q45. Just bought an 2001 Acura CL for my gf, I listenned to its Bose system, and it was so SUCK compared to my Q45. I don't like BOSE system at all. It is really SUCK!!!!!
                              "BOSE is really SUCK"
                              "it was so SUCK"
                              "It is really SUCK!!!!!"

omg isn't anyone else laughing at this had me ROTFLMAO
                              2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Working...
                              X