cloudy's 406 install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cloudy's 406 install

I know this is only supposed to be for finished installs, so please delete this thread if inappropriate - but I wanted to get feedback as I went along

OK bodging around with my nissan sunny install - I finally have my carpc ready. I've bought a more suitable car - and am about to start work
    here is the virgin car:
    Car: Peugeot 406
    Engine: 2.0 petrol - 140bhp ( 0-60 in 7.03 secs )
    Colour: Two tone pearlescent blue

More pics: http://www.digital-car.co.uk/406/

This is what i'm aiming for:

OK, i've started with the dash, the radio slot is just high enough for a lilliput minus the bottom controls, so i'm going to mould the existing bezel into a MDF sheet to mount in replacement of the orginal radio....

Here is the hole i'm working with:

The lilliput in pieces:

OK, first test fit of the replacement MDF panel ( not a perfect fit yet ):

And the connector that should give me hours of fun - my very own OBD II port

It's gonna be harder than expected- the wood panel will have to be in two halves - due to the screen's height, so will have to connect via battens at the rear - I have a limited depth however.. this might get fun !

some 3d ideas:

OK, looking into where to mount the PC - found the cd changer slot is the perfect size for my EPIA

A few pics to show the space i'll use - ( this is allready cabled up for audio + power handily )

This is what I hope it'll look like....

Will continue posting as my project progresses....
    www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Time for some more pics !

Had to move all the dash modules upwards to give me enough space for the TFT - even now it's a squeeze. Peugeot have done a lovely job behind the dash - everything is modular and single connectors for each module - A joy to work with....

I've cut the buttons off the case of the lilliput - and its waiting to be fitted into the MDF panel
    A few pics:

Test fit:

test pic from outside - my two tone paint visible here

Comment

looks very nice! if you add in something on both sides of the lilliput, it will look like stock and match the car perfectly.

Comment

it looks cool and all, but you put your steering wheel on the wrong side :-P
        If at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving!

Comment

lol, yeah that was only a test fit - it will be mounted in the MDF plate I made up as shown in an earlier pic ( will match paint as best I can )

PS. GPS now installed: I have a 2 layer parcel shelf - so all the wiring is hidden....

Comment

Pics of final install:

Comment

This looks great! I'm interesting in trying a similar mounting in my 4runner.

Does the front face of the hacked Lilliput sit 'behind' the mdf plate or does it sit flush with the opening? If it's flush, how did you mount it in place (glude, screws, ...)?Maybe a close-up picture of the screen sandwich would help clear it up for me.

I wonder about the longevity of the exposed electronics on the back side of the sandwich. Do you plan to put a cover over that to keep junk out?

Finally, how did you make those nice strait and rounded cuts in the mdf? I never get that kind of accuracy with a jigsaw.
              2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                This looks great! I'm interesting in trying a similar mounting in my 4runner.

Does the front face of the hacked Lilliput sit 'behind' the mdf plate or does it sit flush with the opening? If it's flush, how did you mount it in place (glude, screws, ...)?Maybe a close-up picture of the screen sandwich would help clear it up for me.

I wonder about the longevity of the exposed electronics on the back side of the sandwich. Do you plan to put a cover over that to keep junk out?

Finally, how did you make those nice strait and rounded cuts in the mdf? I never get that kind of accuracy with a jigsaw.
                Thanks

the lilly bezel sits flush with two MDF panels either side - the rest is all bondo - bezel is superglued to the MDF before the filler was applied
                everything is then screwed to the MDF ( except screen + touch panel which mounts to the original bezel )

yes i'm making a rear cover for it all when i've finished/checked all the electronics ( still got the IR receiver to mount )...
                i'll dig up some photos of the earlier steps, and take a few close ups for ya soon

jigsaw work gets your halfway - then a lot of sanding and bondo to get a silky smooth finish, I sprayed and sanded three times over before the final coat

Comment

Ah yes, the old "bondo cures all" trick. That explains it ... er uh ... almost. So the top and bottom edge were a perfect fit for you dash? Or, did you do a bit of trimming (I know you removed the buttons) on those edges to make them mate up nice?

Any other pics you've got would be cool.
                  2004 4runner

Comment

Looks good!
                    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

no wasn't quite high enough with the buttons removed - built up the edges with bondo and sanded down to a fine edge - suprisingly strong stuff - well stronger than the plastic !

Comment

OK, I get it now.
                        2004 4runner

Comment

well i got enough of the PC done last night to get it all booted up - it looks good - took a bit of film just to show it running, will get decent video+pics when it's finished

vid ( 19.1MB ): http://www.digital-car.co.uk/cicetest1.wmv

Comment

Very good video. That's the first time I've actually seen a carpc in full operation. (good that you didn't do this while driving)

You should have left the Pink Floyd running. Was that just playing DVD, or did you get that somewhere?

Very nice.
                            Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

they never released pulse on DVD it's a divx

I will produce a video demoing all the major features of car PC's in depth with video of my own install and screen caps soon - hopefully this willl help people new to the hobby to grasp what can be achieved ( I always find it hard to describe my system lol )

James

Comment

Working...
                              X