Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freak show - 22 year old Nissan install

Hey
    This was my very first car. And my very first install. I thought you might be interested in this little "freak show", he heh

The car is a 1892 Nissan Maxima (it was Datsun at the time). The computer specs are pretty much same as my current configuration (see my signature) only that one was running Windows 95 and it was a Pentium 120. Still played my MP3s perfectly and amused many of my friends

The car:

Before:

After:

Ain't that sexy? My friends said I was crazy

This also qualifies as the #1 cheapest setup in this entire community - it cost me NOTHING. Laptop was a free gift from a neigbor and the CD-ROM drive just happened to be living under my bed before I found it.

Actually it did cost me some money. That's $10 on the keyboard and $2 for the ethernet cable
    Well, if anyone of you guys can beat the price of this - I'll send you a candy

edit: moved pics to a diff host.
    00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
    Newest install - my quickest ever
    My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
    My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

The car is a 1892 Nissan Maxima (it was Datsun at the time). The computer specs are pretty much same as my current configuration (see my signature) only that one was running Windows 95 and it was a Pentium 120. Still played my MP3s perfectly and amused many of my friends
    Wow, 1892? That must be like a horse drawn Maxima. Definately will win for the oldest thing here with a car pc.
    Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

this is very true! the laptop and CD-ROM are probably worth more then the whole car :-P heh. good job!
      "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
      Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Nice setup! I like the tape 1001 uses

Originally posted by Yuriy
        Hey
        This was my very first car. And my very first install. I thought you might be interested in this little "freak show", he heh

Anyways, the exterior:

Before the "upgrade":

1 week later - YEAH BABY!

Insert CDs here please

Ain't that sexy? My friends said I was crazy

This also qualifies as the #1 cheapest setup in this entire community - it cost me NOTHING. Laptop was a free gift from a neigbor and the CD-ROM drive just happened to be living under my bed before I found it.

Actually it did cost me some money. That's $10 on the keyboard and $2 for the ethernet cable
        Well, if anyone of you guys can beat the price of this - I'll send you a candy
        Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

Comment

Nice cheap setup, but what happens when you get 50 feet from the house and the ext cord gets unplugged (see 1st pic)
          "Protecting Privacy and Free Speech Online"
          http://www.eff.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Supermike
            Nice cheap setup, but what happens when you get 50 feet from the house and the ext cord gets unplugged (see 1st pic)
            He rubs his feet on the carpet and puts two fingers in the cig lighter socket.

Comment

apologies my mess up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bows humbly

Originally posted by Enforcer
              I wish people would quote a pageful of pictures.
              Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

Comment

Ha-ha! LOL
                Well, the cord was only used when I had to copy lots of music and didn't want to drain the battery. The laptop was powered by an inverter
                And you're right - the laptop and a CD drive in fact do cost more than the car

The system still works, but unfortunately the car won't start anymore

Comment

so uhh, is the laptop still sitting under your shifter? hey i got an old laptop sitting around, its only a 100mhz though. i don't think it can seamlessly decode any MP3s higher than 128kbps but anyways, is the laptop still attached to the screen? i may wana try your setup in a... 93 accord? it already has a cdrom drive so uhh... if i ever complete the install, can i send you pics and redeem my candy?

oh btw, the car has no deck, no speakers so i'll probably be stuck with the half inch mono speaker built into the laptop,

Comment

lol That car is already sold, with the working computer system
                    Its audio system was no use as well, so I just put 4 computer speakers 2x75 watt.
                    We actually got a pretty good price on that junk
                    Also - this particular LCD was made from two different LCDs (the backlight is from another computer) so the backlight was sticking out a bit. I don't think you would have wanted to take that one anyway

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that with the right operating system (like Windows 95 or 3.1) your 100 mhz laptop will be able to play 192 kbs MP3 without a glitch

Comment

where was the base of the laptop? i also have a laptop but have given up considering using it in my car.

Comment

What base? The laptop was reduced in size by about 75% after I finished messing with it's casing. I put it in the dash where the stereo once was.

Comment

mate,
                          thumbs up to you and your style.
                          big smiles come to my face when i see you cars. mp3car to the maxibon
                          http://iamnot.azn.nu

Comment

that is the most ghetto thing i have ever seen.....nice work

-Plinkey

Comment

Working...
                            X