Audi A6 custom install carpc with fingerprint recognition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi A6 custom install carpc with fingerprint recognition

Inspired by reading your posts, I took on the task of designing my car pc. Being as hands-on as I am I was originally planning on building my car pc, but after weeks of research and deciding exactly what I wanted to do with it, I decided to buy a pre-built system (sorry everyone). I had the system custom installed at a shop in Rahway, NJ (www.streeteffectz.com) after seeing them featured in Eurotuner magazine for an amazing BMW 3 series. It was the 1st time for them to do a carpc in an audi A6 and they did an amazing job.

Here are the specs:
    Car: 98 Audi A6

CPU: Xenarc compact car pc - 1.3GHz CPU with 256MB
    RAM, 20 GB HD, shared video RAM up to 1200x1600 res (I think - although I only use 800x600 for ease of access),8x DVD, 3 USB, 1 Firewire, Ethernet access - located under globebox; spray-painted black to match dash; ventilation drilled under glove box to prevent over-heating; removable (very important) - pull out.

Sound system: original Bose headunit repositioned under glovebox with toggle switch under driver dash to switch sound from 6 CD changer vs. sound from PC

Monitor: Lilliput 7" touchscreen monitor custom built into the dash

Screenprotector: Nushield screenprotector custom cut to fit lilliput (thanks to Mark of Nushield) www.nushield.com

Peripherals:
    1. Biopod fingerprint recognition (for logging-in) - works flawlessly
    2. Flexible/foldable USB keyboard
    3. Gomadic modem cable (www.gomadic.com) to connect to Verizon internet access (up to 115KBs bursts using regular peak/off-peak minutes) - not advertised by Verizon but available if you search deep enough
    4. AV inputs at center console for connecting X-box/Gamecube
    5. GPS Navigation with limited voice commands - Copilot Live 7 (care of mp3car.com with discount)
    6. 4 port USB hub in glovebox
    7. External mic (from radioshack) spray-painted black to match dash

Software:
    1. Windows XP Professional - with hibernation for quick start-up/shut down
    2. Media Engine - buggy at times but overall still very functional
    3. Copilot live 7 for GPS
    4. Microsoft Word and Excel
    5. Power DVD for DVD playback
    6. Microsoft internet explorer
    7. Mitchell on demand - Audi repair CD

Things to come:
    VAG-COM USB cable to monitor diagnostics and fault codes
    Attached Files

Let me be the first to say, WOW, looks nice. Good idea with the finger print recognition

Comment

Audi A6 custom install with fingerprint recognition pix part 2

click attachments to view pictures (can't seem to place them into my post)...
      Attached Files

Comment

knock on wood. but wouldnt people actually try and jack all that stuff?

Comment

looks great...but i still dont understand exactly what the fingerprint recognition is for?
          rebuilding carpc... kinda..

Comment

will adjust picture sizes tomorrow

sorry i didn't read the rules for posting - will adjust the size of my pictures tomorrow...

in response to your posts...

break-ins don't seem to be a problem where I live (knock on wood...)

some might think fingerprint recognition is over the top but what the heck for $50. it's cool technology!

Comment

that's just TOO COOL!

cheers to yah.

Comment

Looks nice. Nice job on the molding for the LCD. The DVD however seems to be a bit far away..you'd really have to reach to put in a new cd.

Comment

blah ... it's a carpc. Why would he be using CDs?

Looks nice!
                  2004 4runner

Comment

Holy biometrics batman...

I don't know that a car would have been my first choice for securing with a fingerprint scanner...planning on having sensitive data onboard, or is it just he cool factor?

Nice keyboard, btw

Comment

Wow awesome setup! The fingerprint recognition, although I don't see much use for it, is nevertheless cool
                      And you just gave me an idea on where to put my new CD-R drive!
                      00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                      Newest install - my quickest ever
                      My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                      My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

accessibility for the carpc was very important to me; i did have to compromise slightly on placement - i felt it was unsafe to put the pc and headunit under the driver's dash (too close to the gas and brake pedals - plus if you're in an accident, they'd chop off your legs); both would not fit in the glovebox either. Although i do have to slightly reach to turn it on, it's still a lot better than having to exit the car and pop the trunk to change disks. and as previously said, i would rarely be using cd's/dvd's (because everything's on the harddrive anyway). Legally speaking, the driver should not even be watching dvd's while driving anyway - "it's for the passenger"...

Comment

wow . wonderful setup . I think the fingerprint recognition can be a used for later .eg. multiple profiles, setting ,choice of songs etc.
                          VOICES Status : Rework in Progress [||--------](20%)
                          Preview Version at http://voices.techworldonline.com

Comment

interesting install on a beautiful car
                            I think you it can be done even cleaner like one of the posters has done with his bmw m3.

Migrane
                            ... you don't need eyes to see ... you need vision !!!

Comment

Maybe you could get the fingerprint scanner hooked up to the obd-2 to disable the ignition if it's not in the system, aswell as profiles for power seat settings, radio presets, etc. Really nice job on the install.

Comment

Working...
                              X