2002 Mazda Protege

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Mazda Protege

The case you see isn't finished yet. Soon it will have a panel for buttons/LEDs/ports and plexiglass on the front.

VIA EPIA M-10000 w/ 1 ghz C3
    Maxtor 80GB
    Lite-On DVD-ROM
    256MB PC2100
    OPUS 150 watt
    DWW-7VGA
    SS2000CSS (rear-view camera)
    Sony CDX-MP80 head unit

Windows XP Pro/Media Engine/Street Atlas USA 2004/8,000 mp3s
    Attached Files

Not bad.

But if I'm in the passenger seat, where do my feet go?
    Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
    Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
    sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Holy Crap! You gutted your Protege!

I just got my Opus 150, so on Saturday I'll be installing it in my 2000 Protege. I tried pulling out the glovebox to see if there was any room... I don't see how you can fit it in there.

A few questions:

How did you manage to hang that sucker upside down?
      Where is the hard drive?
      Did you think about removing your passenger airbag to put the carputer inside?
      Is that an in-dash housing holding the LCD? (I bought the ProClip set since I couldn't find a better way.)

Comment

There's actually plenty of leg room when the seat is put back.

Avalerion - The case we built is an extremely tight fit. The hard drive is behind the power supply, where you can see a round IDE cable going...the parts are just bolted to the case in the locations they're normally mounted to a standard tower. I thought about putting a PS2 in the passenger air bag location w/ plexiglass to replace the panel that pops off to let the air bag out. The computer is in a good location though because the A/C blows on the back of the case.

Comment

Hey fellow Protege owners!

I was thinking about cutting out the CD compartment insides in the center console and mounting the system in there and run the wires through the center tranmission tunnel.

I am going to mount the screen in the DIN slot and I thought I could fit the Eden board behind it. Stupid fuse box! Then I thought I could put it in the glove box but of course there isn't a flat surface in that thing

I was going to go for 100% continued use of the passenger space and trunk space, ie no intrusion of the system into usable space. The Protege just doesn't let you do that very well

Keep me posted on how well you guys are doing.

Comment

I just put it in the trunk. Make life simpler. The Protege doesn't have the most room inside the dash. My idea is to take out the passenger air bag - who needs it?

Comment

Originally posted by Avalerion
              I just put it in the trunk. Make life simpler. The Protege doesn't have the most room inside the dash. My idea is to take out the passenger air bag - who needs it?
              I wanted to save as much space in the trunk as I could. And I want to access the DVD drive from the driver seat (that means 36" max from the motherboard location). And I would like to keep the VGA cables shorter than 15', so the trunk might be too far back.

Comment

How much are you looking to spend? I'm starting work on mine this weekend and I plan to fit it all in my dash. But I am using all laptop drives, M10000, small power supply, and sticking a USB hub in the glove compartment. I'm going to see if I can mount the DVD-RW under the ashtray. I've got an extra bezel to mount the screen in. I also don't want to give up the trunk space or mount under the seat since I autox and you can't have anything loose and I don't want to have to remove it. As it is, I'll probably have to mount an amp under the passenger seat since I'll be going headless.
                Carputer Pics
                Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Look for me on the track, cause that's where you'll find me.

Comment

Originally posted by Katya
                  How much are you looking to spend? I'm starting work on mine this weekend and I plan to fit it all in my dash. But I am using all laptop drives, M10000, small power supply, and sticking a USB hub in the glove compartment. I'm going to see if I can mount the DVD-RW under the ashtray. I've got an extra bezel to mount the screen in. I also don't want to give up the trunk space or mount under the seat since I autox and you can't have anything loose and I don't want to have to remove it. As it is, I'll probably have to mount an amp under the passenger seat since I'll be going headless.
                  Well, I have side air bag componants under my seats so I can't use a conventional case under there. I was thinking about mounting the DVD drive under the ashtray, too.

How were you putting the system in the dash, though? In a double din case?

Comment

Originally posted by dbzeag
                    I wanted to save as much space in the trunk as I could. And I want to access the DVD drive from the driver seat (that means 36" max from the motherboard location). And I would like to keep the VGA cables shorter than 15', so the trunk might be too far back.
                    an external usb drive case would work for longer runs
                    95 Mazda Protege LX
                    Worklog
                    Overall [Project Dead] 0%

2003 Nissan Altima
                    [XXXXXXXX--] 80% Planning
                    [XX--------] 20% FABRICATION/INSTALLATION

Worklog

Comment

Da*n, this thread is old.....of course I hardly visit here anymore.

doodsmack, I still want to see your system sometime. Need to redo mine after getting it all installed in the dash and then not liking the way I did it.
                      Carputer Pics
                      Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Look for me on the track, cause that's where you'll find me.

Comment

This is what I've been doing in my '01 MP3:

-:LINK:-

It's a little old and I'm in the brainstorming process of re-doing the monitor. Seems that 100+ degrees in the summer and 0 degrees in the winter need to be considered when fab'ing a dash piece.

I'm looking at the motorized single din units. Any other protege owners ever installed one? Do they fit?

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Doodsmack,

Do you have any pictures of how that digitalww screen looks when closed?
                          My Car: 2001 Mazda MP3
                          My OLD Carputer project: Here
                          Completion Progress Bar: [**********100%]
                          Current build! Here
                          Completion Progress Bar: [*********99%]

Comment

Hmm in the really long process of doing this in my 2001 ES too... I'm actually making a custom box to fit under the passenger seat. With the air vents under the seats the box can be 14x9x3 which is just enough room. I thought about the custom box in the glovebox but as it is I bought another center console so I can relocate my HU to the little pocket under the cig lighter. Going to either bend the supports to fit it in or cut them and weld in wider pieces.
                            Russ

Comment

I did just that.
                              I've got an aftermarket deck mounted under/behind the glovebox with the faceplate relocated in that little pocket under the cig lighter.
                              Carpc under the passenger seat and screen in the dash.

Unfortunately there's no room to mount the aftermarket deck behind the screen in the dash. So the only downside is that the deck is visible under the glovebox.

I'm really happy with this setup. If I could only eliminate the alternator whine!
                              I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X