X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Rover - reworked install

First few tries here:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15010

Epia tucked away in the body panel. On the left side of the MDF panel is the Cheesebox that switches the signal to the rear view camera.

Cover put into place - no sign of the computer. The silver thing in the middle is the key switch to turn off the power to the computer.

Volume is controlled by the Griffin Powermate with a more car-like knob.

The switches are for tactile control of software so that I can switch songs without having to look at the screen. Connected to the computer through a keyboard encoder.

HU and USB sound card in the glovebox.

Looks awesome man, I like the tucked away epia. Good job with the burltech around the monitor.
    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
    2 Kicker Comp 10"
    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Check it out?!

Comment

Nice and stealthy...That radio in the glovebox has got to be redone.

Good job. Keep us updated.
      Aura MR62 (F and R)
      My Current MP3s
      IamDefiler.com

Comment

That is one sweet install. I have the griffin powermate with the HUGE knob too. Could you post some details on how you went about replacing the knob and where I could score a replacement.

Also I would love to know how you set up the controls for next/prev song. More detailed information there would also be great.

Thanks
        Don't Fear The Gurkey
        Click here to check out My Setup

Comment

very good. I especially like the trunk, Yeh, let us know about the knob and how you can skip songs. I have touchscreen, but I wouldn't mind having that as well.
          --------
          mykolJay
          99 Accord coupe
          http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
          My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

Awesome !

Very nice !

Please let us know how you got buttons to go to next song etc, is girder used or a hacked up keyboard ?
            Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

Where are these switches you speak of ? I see none ?
              [H]4 Life
              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

That is a smooth install!! Good work!
                '02 GTI
                [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
                [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
                [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
                [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
                Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                  Where are these switches you speak of ? I see none ?

Originally posted by Defiler
                  That radio in the glovebox has got to be redone
                  Please elaborate

The switches are attached to a KeyWiz keyboard encoder.
                  http://www.groovygamegear.com/Page2.html

The Griffin Powermate has a standard 1/4" knob. Radio Shack, Jameco, and almost any electronics part store will have replacement knobs. The hard part was disassembling the enclosure.

Had to pry it open with a screwdriver since it is glued together. Also had to resolder the connecting cables since they were very flimsy and broke during my heavy-handed disassembly.

Comment

Originally posted by vladilen

Please elaborate

The switches are attached to a KeyWiz keyboard encoder.
                    http://www.groovygamegear.com/Page2.html

The Griffin Powermate has a standard 1/4" knob. Radio Shack, Jameco, and almost any electronics part store will have replacement knobs. The hard part was disassembling the enclosure.

Had to pry it open with a screwdriver since it is glued together. Also had to resolder the connecting cables since they were very flimsy and broke during my heavy-handed disassembly.
                    Do you have a link to a manual for that keyboard encoder? It looks pretty useful. A schematic of how you wired your switches would be terrific too if you could.

where did you pry from? The rubber part or where the knob attaches to the base? Or both? Oh and can you still use the push and twist functions with the new knob?
                    Don't Fear The Gurkey
                    Click here to check out My Setup

Comment

Wow, that's very clean and good looking!
                      00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                      Newest install - my quickest ever
                      My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                      My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

did you have any problems with the griffin powermate ?

my powermate is driving me mad ! at this stage only useful for the funky blue light !
                        Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

Originally posted by wkolodny
                          Do you have a link to a manual for that keyboard encoder? It looks pretty useful. A schematic of how you wired your switches would be terrific too if you could.
                          They don't have a digital manual, it's just a double sided xerox that comes with the controller.There is not much to wiring the controller. From the switch, one wire goes to the ground on the PCB of the keyboard encoder, and the other goes to any of the other attachment points. I have a single wire from the ground going to one common line on all switches. The NO line then is connected to one of the other connections to generate a keystroke.

Originally posted by wkolodny
                          where did you pry from? The rubber part or where the knob attaches to the base? Or both? Oh and can you still use the push and twist functions with the new knob?
                          I don't recall exactly how I opened it. It has been some time ago. It is a total pain to do. Just take a screwdriver to anything that looks like a seam. Yes, it does keep both push and rotate functionality when removed from the case.

Comment

Originally posted by SAScooby
                            did you have any problems with the griffin powermate ?

my powermate is driving me mad ! at this stage only useful for the funky blue light !
                            Initially, yes. I had to go into System Properties/Hardware/Device Manager, find the generic HID device and manually point it at the griffin driver. After that it worked fine.

Comment

Working...
                            X