Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Honda Accord - Carputer - 7" Lilli/GPS/MP3/DVD/more

Okay, first the history.
    I'm been working on this project for over 4 years, since I got the car. After planning, and buying (and then selling) parts, lcd, etc, I scrapped the idea in '00 and bought a Neo35 standalone MP3 player. Of course, that got boring and I needed more. In '02, I moved to NYC and rarely had my car for the next 2 years. In that span, it was involed in a very bad accident when a drunk slammed into the rear while it was parked ($13K of damage). Now I moved accross the river to northern NJ, stuck my rims back on and put together Phase 1 of the carputer.

Phase 1 - MP3/GPS/DVD/video
    Hardware -
    -7" Lilliput VGA TouchScreen
    BookPC 500mhz/256 ram/15GB HDD (will be 80GB)/ DVDrom/ embedded Sound-Video-Lan
    - BU-330 GPS mouse receiver
    -160W inverter/Distribution Block/Amp wiring kit/on-off switch
    Sofware - WinXP Pro/MediaCar/FrodoDVD/iGuidance v2.0(Routis)

I was going to flush mount the whole monitor. Bought the materials and all. But then I decided that I would like to be able to remove it for security purposes and I did not want to void the warranty. I may paint the housing black or try those vinyl dash material. I'm planning a truely removable connection.

When the passenger seat is bushed back a bit, the BookPC doesn't show as much. Also, the distributer block and inverter or located under the driver's seat with the on-off lighted switch in the dash (Pics coming soon).

The GPS receiver is mounted in the front right side of the dash and all wires are hidden (pics coming coon).

Here are some pictures - later this week, I'll upload pics of the GPS mount, the on-off switch, wiring/inverter and some more daytime pics.

Tell me what you think.

Update 9/13/04 - Added OBDII from obddiagnostics.com for $88 shipped. Got a belkin serial to usb adapter. Upgraded hard drive to 40GB WD. Ordered a usb-to-samsung adapter so hopefully I'll have Sprint Vision internet soon.
    Attached Files
    --------
    mykolJay
    99 Accord coupe
    http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
    My Project Thread on mp3car.com

More pics

More pics
    Attached Files
    --------
    mykolJay
    99 Accord coupe

Comment

More pics
      Attached Files
      --------
      mykolJay
      99 Accord coupe

Comment

even more pics
        Attached Files
        --------
        mykolJay
        99 Accord coupe

Comment

here is more
          Attached Files
          --------
          mykolJay
          99 Accord coupe

Comment

wait, I forgot the wiring diagrams
            Attached Files
            --------
            mykolJay
            99 Accord coupe

Comment

How do you have the Lilliput mounted and how easy is it to remove? I'm planning to do something similar in my Integra, but I haven't figured out how yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jalper
                How do you have the Lilliput mounted and how easy is it to remove? I'm planning to do something similar in my Integra, but I haven't figured out how yet.
                I had to cut about piece out of the center dash, in order to accomadate the buttons. Basically I had to increase the height of the double din like 3/4 of an inch. You can see it in the pic - removedlilliput.jpg above.

It is fairly removable, just not pretty and not ultra secure. I plan on making a real mount soon. I was suprised that the width was perfect for my double din. I put a layer of electric tape around the sides of the lilliput and it seems to not slip back (and I have a bumpy ride b/c my car has been lowered) There is the metal piece that sticks out on the botton that seems to secure the Lilli perfect, I really just need domething to secure the top of the monitor.

Here are some more pics of the dash install (the cutting)- Before and after
                Attached Files
                --------
                mykolJay
                99 Accord coupe

Comment

Installed, it looks very nice! The best alternative to a molded-in screen.

Maybe fiberglass something in the dash behind the screen so it looks better when the screen is removed... you could even make a conector hold it into place (centronics type?)

Joa
                  List of front-ends/usefull apps
                  XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Very very nice ! ! ! X 10000

the only thing I can say is put your left hand rims on the left hand side of the car and the right hand rims on the right hand side of your car
                    Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

Originally posted by SAScooby
                      the only thing I can say is put your left hand rims on the left hand side of the car and the right hand rims on the right hand side of your car
                      huh??
                      --------
                      mykolJay
                      99 Accord coupe

Comment

check out your rims front to back and side to side, are they "pointing" in the same direction ? on the drivers side you have both a L and R rim,

Honda designed them to "face" or "rotate" in a certain direction, look at the spokes on a rim, some of them lean to the left, the next rim will lean to the right if you follow my angle, they were designed for some or other reason as left and right handed rims, and if a manufacturer is going to do this, as it must have cost a fortune, they must have had a special reason to do it

the rim should also be marked with a L or R somewhere on the lip

from what I remember when I owned a civic with similiar rims, the spokes should not "dig" into the ground when going forward rather the opposite way around

your rims have probably been switched at a service or in that prang you mention.
                        Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

I appreciate the advice, I'll look into it. However, please realize that these are aftermarket rims made by Enkeii, not Honda. How are supposed to rotate them?
                          --------
                          mykolJay
                          99 Accord coupe

Comment

they look pretty much like the stock ones I had, but have a look at your car on the side !

the front rim and the rear rim are going in different directions, the front "spokes" are in a different direction to the rear "spokes" any good wheel and tyre shop will take the tyre off the rim and swop it around side to side, while still keeping the tyre direction constant, I would be curious to know if the other side has the same problem.

if it doesnt bother you then no sweat, just thought I would mention it

Comment

Yes, alloys are primarily for performance-enhancing. I take it having handed alloys allows for more efficient brake cooling perhaps....?
                              In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(")
                              Bunny's first poo
                              __ U

Comment

Working...
                              X