Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car PC in a '99 Accord

My CarPC

I had a lot of fun doing this project. I learned a lot about wiring and the like. I've done a little, wiring that is, while working on PCs, but nothing to this extent. Overall I am very pleased with the outcome and love my new carPC and touchscreen. I can't wait to get to use it more. Also, my custom shortened shift lever is coming in quite handy now. It's low and out of the way. I designed this whole project so that I could upgrade it over the future. In the future I plan on using a DC-DC power supply instead of a power inverter setup and also implement more laptop parts into my PC (Athlon XP mobile processor, laptop HDD, laptop DVD-ROM, etc). Someday I would like to purchase a GPS receiver and some software as well. When I get older I'd like to travel more. But anyway, enough of me rambling. There you have it folks.

Also, I'd like to thank everyone here. I was able to research and find an answer to most all of my questions here. The neat FREE software was also very nice. Thanks for all your help guys.

Note - I also have larger pics if any of you are interested in seeing some of this stuff a bit more upclose.
    '99 Accord LX
    -------------
    Pics of CarPC Setup

Very nice and neat install! Really like the job on your dash, looks very good!
    Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Currently : Audi A6 - no install

Second install : VW Passat '97 CarPC
    First install : '87 Audi 80 CarPC

Comment

OMG, another Honda install! Looks really neat though! Great job
      00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
      Newest install - my quickest ever
      My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
      My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

Beautiful! I think that just gave me an idea on where to put my headunit and LCD on my install (in the planning stage at the moment). Very nice job.
        Zen Fat Loss

Comment

great job! I am impressed, especially since you're so young....keep it up

looks really good
          CarPC #3: 99% Complete
          Pentium M 1.7Ghz, 1GB DDR2 RAM
          DVD/CD-RW installed in dash below monitor
          OEM LCD relocated for 7" Touchscreen
          Wi-Fi, GPS, PS2 controllers...
          500+ full albums
          4,000+ video games
          music videos, movies, & more!
          old carPC

Comment

Thank you guys for all the comments on my carputer, I really love it. One thing I enjoy a lot is playing music videos. It's like watching MTV (the way it should be) in my car, very fun.

Feel free to offer any suggestions and to ask any questions. Thanks again!
            '99 Accord LX
            -------------
            Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

Where'd you get the DIN bracket that you've put under the dash? I looked around HandA but I can't find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam432823
                Where'd you get the DIN bracket that you've put under the dash? I looked around HandA but I can't find it.
                It's is the 6th item down (no picture) entitled "EX Audio Attachment Kit" for $21.60 on this page...

http://handa-accessories.com/accelect00.html

It's pretty neat, it requires a bit of cutting but a hacksaw with a bit of oil on it cut through the plastic very easily. No instructions are included with the kit but they are there on HandA in PDF format for you to download and print.

Edit: I just took a look and there are no instructions for the EX Audio Attachment Kit alone, you'll have to print off the instructions for either the Cassette Player (http://www.handa-accessories.com/acc...cassetteex.pdf) or the EX instructions for the Six Disk In-Dash CD Changer (http://handa-accessories.com/accord/accordindashex.pdf).
                '99 Accord LX
                -------------
                Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

Nice. Your car is clean everywhere!!!! Even the engine. Doy ou notice a difference with that Air intake? If you do, I know how you can get another 2hp out of it! http://www.kalecoauto.com/perf.htm Just kidding
                  CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                  Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Originally posted by owenjh
                    Nice. Your car is clean everywhere!!!! Even the engine. Doy ou notice a difference with that Air intake? If you do, I know how you can get another 2hp out of it! http://www.kalecoauto.com/perf.htm Just kidding
                    Thank you for your compliments. Yes, I do notice some differences from the intake. Mainly it's just the louder/deeper engine growl and of course the infamous but loved whistle. I don't notice any real performance gains from it but what can you expect for $75? The only thing I noticed was it's a bit more responsive. It feels like when I lay on the gas it doesn't take as long for it to start accelerating. I figure it's b/c it has easier quicker access to more air. That's a really funny link by the way.
                    '99 Accord LX
                    -------------
                    Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

very nice

Comment

damn...you stole my setup. Just kidding, I hope I was helpful, even just as an inspiration. You've got to add GPS..it's a cheap addition.

Did you paint the Lilliput housing?

Great job!

Warning to everyone - installing the lower din is a hell of a job. Took like 5 hours. But looks very professional. You've got remove much of the dash and the entire center console.
                        --------
                        mykolJay
                        99 Accord coupe
                        http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
                        My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

Yeah, installing the lower DIN wasn't much fun. Cutting the bottom piece was the most annoying to me. I couldn't get it to hold still while I sawed it, even after heating up the hacksaw blade and putting some oil on it. I had to clamp it down and get my dad to hold down the edges too and it was still very flimsy while cutting. Though it was tough I'm very pleased with the outcome. One thing I do not like about the lower din is how difficult the design is to remove anything after you put it all back together, it's not really made to come apart again.

As for painting the lilliput, no I didn't. I bought mine from *******.com and it came black. The color actually matches the dash piece perfectly. I cannot tell a difference in color or texture.

What sucks it two week after I got this all installed I was behind a woman at an intersection and she decided to stop halfway through her turn. I was making sure nobody was coming from the left and noticed she decided to randomly stop too late. My car is abused. :-/ Link to pics are below.

http://members.cox.net/kwhite6/crash/

Edit: For some reason solar pc dot com up there is censored. Click here for the link to the products they carry.
                          '99 Accord LX
                          -------------
                          Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

Well I just order the black housing. If I could figure out how to open it up without voiding the warranty, it would be perfect.

Sucks about the accident. ***** happens.
                            --------
                            mykolJay
                            99 Accord coupe
                            http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
                            My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

looks like your hood. fornt bumper and passengers fenders all are messed. may all need replacing as well as head light. NOT cheap

Comment

Working...
                              X