Another Getto Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Getto Install

I just wanted to post my install after seeing the WirelessPrelude and Yuriy old Maxima.

I installed the system about 4 months ago and it has been running with no problems.

The car is 1990 Hyundai Sonata (rustbucket) that does not want to die 275K Km (amazing)

I got a Clarion Pro Audio DXZ615 HU with Aux input connected to an old DEC Multia P100 64Mb RAM 20Gb HD running Win98 Lite, Winamp 2.60, Resume Plugin, LCD plugin, UIR plugin.

The main user interface is a numeric keypad and a Sony IR remote control along with a 40x2 and 16x2 Backlit LCD display.

I use the 16x2 LCD as a spectrum analyzer and the 40x2 as the artist/song/bitrate/elapsed time indicator.

The carputer is powered by an inverter mounted in the glove compartment and the PC is under the driver's seat.

So far the system reliability outlasted my expectations!
    Attached Files
    01001101010100000011001101000011011000010111001000 1000000101001001101111011000110110101101110011

More pictures

Here is some more pictures of the old beast! The best thing about owning an old car is that nobody would give it a second look.
    Attached Files
    01001101010100000011001101000011011000010111001000 1000000101001001101111011000110110101101110011

Comment

Nothing ghetto about it, that's a nice install! Now, if you had a Dell desktop and a 15" CRT monitor tied into your passenger seat with rope, THAT might qualify as ghetto...
      Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
      http://hallert.net/

Comment

That's pretty slick - how did you mount those LCD's...?
        In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(")
        Bunny's first poo
        __ U

Comment

looks really clean!!
          props for the nice work.
          yea ive seen installs where they taped the screen on.

Comment

The only clean part is the LCDs. The remote and the keypad is still ghetto.
            Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
            Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
            sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

THAT is NOT ghetto AT ALL. My regards to you - great work! The two LCD's must have been a pain in the rear to install and configure. This looks totally AWESOME. I just love how it fits in so nicely and how you have a lil equalizer thingy on one of your LCDs Great job!

With that said, I still beleive my Nissan Maxima install is the most ghetto carputer ever created
              Something to be proud of, eh?
              00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
              Newest install - my quickest ever
              My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
              My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

No, seriously, I just love the two LCDs! You're the man!

Comment

Post whore.

woohoo!
                  680!

I like it, it's not ghetto, it looks really nice.
                  My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
                  2 Kicker Comp 10"
                  Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
                  Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
                  Check it out?!

Comment

Definitely not maximum ghettoage. It's a nice and efficient install. You could glue and bondo that lower LCD install to clean it up a bit.

I like these character LCD based systems. There is something pure about them compared to the touch screens.
                    2004 4runner

Comment

Originally posted by Pudge
                      Post whore.

woohoo!
                      680!
                      WTF?
                      I got 300 in my first 5 days, so you're not alone

Comment

hmm idea might be to use the lcd with a touchscreen overlay.

Comment

Originally posted by rando
                          I like these character LCD based systems. There is something pure about them compared to the touch screens.
                          You're right. The touchscreen setups look out of place a bit, and sometimes (excluding the professional fiberglass setups) they look quite amateurish, like if the person didn't much care for the looks/functionality and just wanted to impress the people with a glowing screen at night. These serial LCDs however look pretty damn professional. It sure takes some time and skill to install and operate these, let alone use a computer without a VGA screen. Needless to say, it's something very different. Also, if I was new to cars, I might have thought that this system came with the car. Seriously - two thumbs up! Nothing ghetto here.

Comment

Thanks for all the reply's in such a short time

The Spectrum analyzer LCD is mounted in the stock clock location and the main LCD is mounted were a storage pocket used to be.

The LCD's are mounted to a piece of black plastic that was cut out in the center and the LCD bezel fits flush.

I wanted to get something up and running without spending to much time in to detail cause the car is pretty old, and it was a proof of concept to test reliability.

I got myself a newer car (97 Subaru Legacy GT ) the system is going to be raised to the next level!

Multia will be replaced by laptop and I want to add a 7" LCD panel for GPS navigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Aksor
                              Thanks for all the reply's in such a short time

The Spectrum analyzer LCD is mounted in the stock clock location and the main LCD is mounted were a storage pocket used to be.

The LCD's are mounted to a piece of black plastic that was cut out in the center and the LCD bezel fits flush.

I wanted to get something up and running without spending to much time in to detail cause the car is pretty old, and it was a proof of concept to test reliability.

I got myself a newer car (97 Subaru Legacy GT ) the system is going to be raised to the next level!

Multia will be replaced by laptop and I want to add a 7" LCD panel for GPS navigation.

It would be great since you could keep your character LCDs for, say, displaying RAM/HDD amounts, or showing track info while your navigation is running Way to go!

Comment

Working...
                              X