2000 Mitsubishi Galant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Mitsubishi Galant

I've been lurking here for the past 3-4 weeks sucking all info I could get and now I'm finally done with my carPC. I guess it's just about time to register and have my first post.

Specs:
    Compaq Armada E500 (will do for now)
    PIII 600Mhz 384Mb 20Gb
    WinXP Pro
    8X DVD
    Creative Audigy2 NX 5.1
    802.11b PC Card
    Pinnacle FM/TV Tuner --> doesn't work, I may have to get a D-Link or something

7" VGA Touchscreen monitor (Lilliput-type with black housing, box has NewVision brandname)

MTX 4ch amp
    MTX 2ch amp
    MTX 10" subs (2), sealed
    MTX separates

I will be getting iGuidance next month. I've already met this month's spending cap

Test fitting:

Armada under the glovebox, Audigy behind the screen, wires and inverter inside the glovebox:

Media car with Amber Alpine skin, Mitsu logo:

00 Galant
    armadaE500 P3-660 320M 20G, lilliput, audigy2NX, slim/slotLoad dvd/cdrw, cardReader
    sony rm-x2s, bu303, xmDirect
    xpPro sp2, frodoPlayer 1.09, iGuidance 2.0, custom voiceRecognition
    custom shutdownController

cool setup. How are you doing power up and power down of the computer and screen?
    MY CAR PROFILE (@HONDA SHOWOFF)

Comment

Originally posted by dexy
      cool setup. How are you doing power up and power down of the computer and screen?
      My notebook's power options setting:

Standby button: Do nothing
      When using battery: Standby in 1min, Hibernate in 20mins

Standby button is wired to a relay (through a plug, not hardwired so I could still take the notebook out whenever) which wakes up the PC when I start the car.

Autopower on for the screen is still on my todo list.

00 Galant
      armadaE500 P3-660 320M 20G, lilliput, audigy2NX, slim/slotLoad dvd/cdrw, cardReader

Comment

Nice setup. Looks very neat.

Comment

Originally posted by djScript
          Standby button is wired to a relay (through a plug, not hardwired so I could still take the notebook out whenever) which wakes up the PC when I start the car.
          How did you wire the relay to the standby button? I'm assuming that your button is under the lid when the laptop is closed? I have a Compaq Presario 2800T and I'm trying to figure out how to wire a momentary switch to the power button...

Also, how did you supply 5V to the Audigy 2 NX? I've been searching everywhere for options on this when dealing with a laptop. Having an Opus sure makes it easy, but where can you get 5V elsewhere?

I actually have a 2003 Galant, and your interior looks pretty much exactly like mine, although I didn't have the double DIN configuration. I could probably find a used double DIN bezel and move the climate-control knobs down a slot so that I could install a screen similar to yours.

Comment

Originally posted by coleslaw
            How did you wire the relay to the standby button? I'm assuming that your button is under the lid when the laptop is closed? I have a Compaq Presario 2800T and I'm trying to figure out how to wire a momentary switch to the power button...
            I used a constant-to-momentary output circuit, something like this
            Code:
               +12V ---------,   
                             }|  ---o------/ male+female  /----> to laptop's
                    2.2K uF  }| no -o------/ barrel plug  /----> standby button
             ground ----)|---'   ^/
                      |     |
                  22K Z     |
                      Z     |
                      +-----+
            You may want to use a diode between the coils for protection. I just played around with resistor and capacitor values til I got about 1sec delay. I think I found this circuit here, if not, I'm sure www.the12volt.com has it. I soldered the wires from the female barrel plug to the standby button.

Also, how did you supply 5V to the Audigy 2 NX? I've been searching everywhere for options on this when dealing with a laptop. Having an Opus sure makes it easy, but where can you get 5V elsewhere?
            I'm currently using the supplied AC adaptor. I'm also looking for a DC-DC supply with at least 2A so I could keep the Audigy powered until the PC goes to standby, not when I turn the car off to prevent MediaCar from crashing. This could be done using a relay and the DTR windows service someone from here created.

I actually have a 2003 Galant, and your interior looks pretty much exactly like mine, although I didn't have the double DIN configuration. I could probably find a used double DIN bezel and move the climate-control knobs down a slot so that I could install a screen similar to yours.
            8th gen Galants don't have double DINs. I cut the middle slat, then grind and sand the sides for the screen to fit.

00 Galant

Comment

Hi,

Nice setup

I find the dvd interlock mechanism specially interesting. Are you going to make it available to us, the schematics and the app??
              Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
              Status -->
              Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
              BraveCar 2.5

Comment

Ahh, so you went the laptop way Great job, and I really love the work you did on the dash
                00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                Newest install - my quickest ever
                My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

Where did you buy the trim peice/how much did it cost?

Comment

Working...
                  X