'95 Accord Carputer Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 Accord Carputer Project

After a couple of not so quality attempts at a car-PC, I decided to go all out and custom mold an LCD into the dash. I'm running a pentium-3 dell with an inverter (yeah, I know, but it doesn't introduce any noise). The LCD is a Xenarc touchscreen and I've also got a GPS receiver on the outside (couldn't get any signal at all inside car, maybe because of the tint), which I use with Routis 2004. Here are the Pics of the finished project, I'll upload the fabrication pics in a sec:
    Attached Files
    My Carputer

Fabrication:
    Attached Files
    My Carputer

Comment

HEy, looks great..i want to do the same thing. I was wondering if you have msn so i could ask you a few questions about ur setup?

Comment

Install Pics:
        Attached Files
        My Carputer

Comment

nope sorry, just post the questions up on here and I'll be happy to answer them
          My Carputer

Comment

That DELL you've got there, what's the model number on that??

I've been trying to find a Bumble-Bee case like that and haven't had any success yet.

Mind Scream out
            Mind Scream out

Comment

ok, First..what can be used to turn the computer on soon as the car is turned on, and off when the car is turned off?

Comment

by off i mean shut down properly...

I plan on using the attached diagram for my layout. But i do not know what the "IN DASH ADAPTER" is and where it is connect to.

Comment

The Dell's an Optiplex GX150, and I turn on using a switch wired to the inverter right now, but since I've already forgot once to turn it off after leaving my car, I'm going to hook a relay up to it to turn it off when the switched 12V current is off.
                  My Carputer

Comment

if you're going to be using an OPUS you've got nothing to worry about, it has a lead that runs to the mobo's power switch terminal and sends it a signal to turn off (depending on what you have the power switch configured to do in windows)
                    My Carputer

Comment

Ok great. I still need to do more reading and gather more parts...
                      thx for the help

Comment

yeah, I had about a 3 month planning period that seems to have really paid off
                        My Carputer

Comment

wow....your set up is very similar to mine...
                          my car honda accord 97....
                          for my set up, i also have my cd headunit, but i relocate the security, clock and emer. buttons down to the cig. lighter to have rooms....and i made frame from scratch...
                          nice set up....
                          icet....

Comment

wow nice job. Now that I'm finally satisfied with my Celica install I'm thinking about installing carputer in the wife's 97 accord.

Question: Is there enough room above the screen to place slim DVD drive?
                            My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

Hey man i really liked ur design and how u did everyting...
                              I'm new to carpuer and know absolutely nothing on istall.
                              i want to know what wires i need to run from the trunk where compuer will b to the front..
                              if u can help me out i would apreciate a lot...
                              how can u start the compuer from ur dash and so on...

THnaks alot ahead of time

Comment

Working...
                              X