2004 350z install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 350z install

My CarPC is finally complete! About 3 weeks of work in total.. This forum has been an invaluable source of information. Thank you all for the inspiration and making it possible!!

Car: 2004 350z

Lilliput 7” touchscreen LCD
    VIA EPIA M10000 | Samsung 30GB 2.5" HD | 256MB DDR RAM
    Opus 90W DC-DC Powersupply
    Linksys Wireless-G Portable USB Adapter, 802.11g WUSB54GP-CU
    Gyration wireless keyboard
    iGuidance | Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 | CoPilot Navigation
    i.Trek Mouse GPS Receiver BU-303 (roof mount)
    Digimoto OBDII software w/Elm Scan blackbox
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Coyote’s MediaCar
    ------
    EDIT: upgraded parts 12/7/2006
    250W OPUS power supply replaces a 90W OPUS
    GlobalSat BU353 GPS mouse replaces BU-303
    1GB of Mushkin memory replaces 512meg "generic" memory
    80GB 2.5" laptop HD replaces old 80GB desktop drive (crashed)
    80GB 2.5" laptop HD replaces old 30GB laptop boot drive
    added D-Link DIR-450 3g router
    added Sprint PC-5740 1xEV-DO pcmcia card
    ------
    EDIT: upgraded parts 4/10/2007
    Abit BE7 replaces VIA EPIA M10000
    ATi Radeon 9700PRO replaces onboard video

I wanted to put the entire PC into one of the small rear compartments.. I had to cut it all up and double sitcky everything in place… but it all fits perfect!! Note: the huge ATX power supply is just for setup and testing:

Front view of the slot.. power supply is on the right, HD is above that velcroed into place. I opted to go without an optical drive because I already have a modchipped Xbox and my headunit is MP3 capable.

My car torn apart:

The first fitting of the PC.. perfect!!! (sorry kinda dark)

My car back together again
    CarPC

iGuidance v2.0.. love it!! ..(I roof mounted the antenna)

I wanted to be able to hear the voice navigation while I’m listening to the radio and since I don’t care about using the PC for MP3 or media files, I tore apart an amplified desktop PC speaker and wired it into my car. ghetto I know but it works!! Here’s a pic of the mounted Elm Scan OBDII blackbox and ghetto speaker setup..LOL

Close up daytime pic of horsepower datalogging and the Lilliput. There was a lot of cutting necessary to fit this screen. If I had to do it again, I’d go Xenarc instead.. The lilli works great but was a little too much aggravation to setup. For the Z owners out there, you'll probably notice that I'm using a 2003 Nav pocket/door.. the 2004 door sucks!

Wireless surfing..secure your networks people

an added bonus: reverse camera
    CarPC

Comment

The car's home/blog page:
      http://www.mike-lee.org/scripts/car/...ue01/index.htm

A few pics of the car:
      Exterior:

Interior:

Engine:

My Dyno

--mike
      CarPC

Comment

What a nice install!

Thanks for the pics.

Comment

Can you show pics of the roof mount gps? I'm curious on how you did it. That's a cool install man.
          http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2045209

Comment

Looks sweet dude~! do you have a pic of the dash with the cover down that goes over the monitor? Or at least that's what it looks like. Nice work.
            My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
            2 Kicker Comp 10"
            Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
            Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
            Check it out?!

Comment

V nice. Shame yr limiting the carputer, could do so much more.
              Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
              Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
              CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
              http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

Doesn't your license plate go over that?
                My Install Thread
                digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Originally posted by ppgt94

Same thing I was thinking. He must got a hole in the plate or some James Bond type shyt in the works.
                  Man your car is bootifull!! Great job on that bro. What kind of wireless adappter is that? Lynksys? You got a link to it?
                  What was hard about setting up the lilli?
                  My 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Install

Comment

Oh ok, Linksys Wireless-G Portable USB Adapter, 802.11g WUSB54GP-CU
                    Missed that..hehehe

Comment

whew I want a car like that, puts my saturn to shame , but awesome install. would like to see the GPS antenna as well.
                      肚子笑痛了
                      S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by reggiek945
                        Can you show pics of the roof mount gps? I'm curious on how you did it. That's a cool install man.
                        The car is a hatchback.. so it's pretty easy.. I'm sure you can use your imagination

Originally posted by Pudge
                        do you have a pic of the dash with the cover down that goes over the monitor?
                        here ya go:

Originally posted by ppgt94
                        yes.. there is a little hole in my license plate.. James bond style lol.. I'd rather do that than drill a visible hole in my bumper
                        Originally posted by snmnetwork
                        What was hard about setting up the lilli?
                        The lilli was a pain in the azz.. I broke the first one taking it out if the case.. still don't know what's wrong with it.. I think the controller board got shorted somewhere. The second one works great..

That "usb thing" sticks out way too far out the side and wouldn't clear my dash. I had to cut a huge notch on the side of my dash to fit that cable.. It's behind the front center console piece so you can't see it..

I ended up keeping the back plate on the screen (to protect the controller board) and cutting about 1/4" off each side with a dremel I removed the front of the case so the screen would be 100% flush to the car.. I used double sided tape and wire ties to hold everything together. It's pretty sturdy..

I know I'm not using the carputer to it's full capability right now but I really wanted navigation and that cost like $1200-$1400 for a standalone unit.. So for about 50% less.. I got navigation/OBDII/mame/surfing for now I'm just not ready to get rid of my head unit yet.. but we'll see going forward..

--mike
                        CarPC

Comment

Originally posted by leemik
                          I'm just not ready to get rid of my head unit yet.. but we'll see going forward..
                          Well if you do, you'll defenitly have room for another lcd
                          Who makes that rear view cam?
                          Thanks for the info on the lilli, I'll be xtra carefull with it then.

Comment

Originally posted by snmnetwork
                            Who makes that rear view cam?
                            Speco Technologies CVC-770PH.. It's not waterproof so I siliconed the heck out of it I hope it holds up.. It has no reverse image capability either but that's not real important to me..

I saw it at a local electronics store.. very low profile and the dimensions were a PERFECT fit for the square indentation right in the middle of where the license plate is on the Z..almost like it was made for it.. It's a pinhole camera so the hole in the plate didn't need to be very big..

The image is very good.. and at night when it's pretty dark out, I can still see what's behind me pretty good..

--mike
                            CarPC

Comment

Nice setup and Dyno plot. I saw your numbers and had to go back and look at the engine bay. I spy with my little eye... a nice little snail

btw, how do you like the digimoto unit? Does it do wideband O2 on your car? I am trying to decide what obd2 I want to get. I drive a VW so I may just go with a vag-com unit but I want to try others as well.

Also I just noticed that you are also in MA. I'd love to hook up sometime and compare systems.
                              99 VW GTI VR6 SC
                              -The GTI-PC-

Comment

Working...
                              X