Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Install (Lots of pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Install (Lots of pics)

Here is my 2003 Ford Ranger Install.

Factory Console:

And here are some shots of the Explorer console I installed:

This console was perfect for the install because I could fit the entire computer into the console and also run the wires hidden up the center of it. I could not do this with the console that came factory installed. The next picture is an outline of the cuts I had to make in the console. I had to cut through three separate areas to do this. The metal frame for the console. the plastic framing around that, and the actual console part where you can store stuff.

Here is the metal framing with the computer being test fit.

The frame is all rusty because the junk yard must have had it out in the rain.

Here are a couple shots of the plexi case I made. The hard drive / PSU / IDE cables weren't installed yet.

I installed my laptop DVD/CDRW drive under the console and it points towards the back of the truck. I didn't get a shot of it. It's simply flush on the floor and there was a little space to squeeze it in. The IDE and power cables were run external and that's why there is that slot cut out of the case.

Here is the case installed into the console:

I still have room in the console to put stuff if need be. That was one of my objectives.
    Last edited by tbird2340; 05-24-2012, 05:24 AM.
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Here are some pics of my Lilli installed:

This was a major pain in the rear. I secured a piece of plexiglass across the back of the bezel with wire ties. I then put the Lilli in and put three wire ties across the top of the Lilli and one on the bottom. I then used wire ties to "pull" the Lilli against the plexi which keeps it nice and secure.

Here are some pics of the head unit installed in the console. It actually worked better then I thought. I did cut too much plastic out that bothers me a little but I plan on getting something to hide that.

I wired up two switches. The one on the top is a cutoff switch so my ITPS doesn't turn on my PC when I don't want it to. The one on the bottom was supposed to be a reset switch (in case the PC locked up) but it doesn't work. I can still use the switch above it to reset if I want though.

I still need to get a USB GPS mouse and a USB wifi card. I plan on getting an ODBII interface in the future and also a bluetooth phone.

Comment

Here are a couple of other random mods I did to my truck.

EATC (Electronic Automatic Temperature Control) – Converted my stock HVAC controls to automatic. I set the temperature it does the rest! (Picture can be seen in above shots).

OHC (Over Head Console) - This came out of a junk yard Explore. Gives me temperature and compass.

Auto Dimming Mirror – This also is from a junk yard. This gives me auto headlights (the Rangers don’t come with them). It turns my head lights on in the dark and off in the light so I don’t have to. It also dims the mirror when someone is behind you with their lights on to make it easier on the eyes.

Security Keypad – Junk yard part as well. Never have to worry if I lock my keys in the truck again! This one was scary cutting into the door!!

Comments welcome!!!

Comment

sweet install.

Comment

what all went into installing the keypad for the door? what kind of extra controllers were involved if any?

Comment

That's a great install. The screen does fit perfectly in there, but the bottom of the console were the screen is installed it is a little rough. You should smooth it out a little more, it just seemed to stick out. But other that one little thing its a awesome install
            Installed
            Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
            512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
            Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
            [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gareva1
              what all went into installing the keypad for the door? what kind of extra controllers were involved if any?
              I got the keypad from a junk yard and sent it to a guy who added some module to it for me. The dude who did it (John Grigs AKA N3ELZ) is the genious who figured out all the mods I did to my truck. He posted the how to for the EATC, OHC, Auto Mirror, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
                That's a great install. The screen does fit perfectly in there, but the bottom of the console were the screen is installed it is a little rough. You should smooth it out a little more, it just seemed to stick out. But other that one little thing its a awesome install
                Yea, I guess the lower left hand corner does look a little rough. Honestly... I didn't even notice until I seen that in the pic. It doesn't seem to stick out when I'm in the truck.

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Impressive install, very well throughoutly planned. And you still have a lot of space in the armrest area, yay!
                  00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                  Newest install - my quickest ever
                  My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                  My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

This is *almost* a mirror image of what I want to do with my truck.
                    I've been planning on adding all the parts you have except for the
                    keypad, but that looks interesting so....
                    [H]4 Life
                    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

For the keypad thing, if you own a 'remote entry ready' FORD (not sure, but I think they all come ready nowadays. ie. the necessary receivers and relays are inplace.) you can buy a keypad remote that sticks onto the door and works wirelessly. Battery's supposed to last 100,000 entries. I payed about $120 from the dealership, but the first quote I got was a different dealership wanted to charge $200 and install it. I was like, "let me get this straight: It sticks to the door and works wirelessly? I think I can do that myself, *****!"

I think it's worth it. Cheers.
                      '03 Escape 4WD:
                      -iTox mini-itx mobo, Core 2 Duo Mobile 1.66Ghz; 2GB, 80GB 2.5" HD, DS-ATX
                      -Transflective 8.4"
                      -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
                      -Rearview camera with auto-switching (modified cheesbox)
                      -Slim Slot DVD+RW
                      -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Nice, if my system wasn't going into my Z I would do something like this in my Ranger. I've seen the explorer overhead console mod in a Ranger but not the center console. Looks real sweet man.
                        Kefka_Killer.owns(you);

Comment

Some additions...

1. USB GPS Mouse - Rikaline 6010

2. D-Link DWL-122 USB Wireless adapter.

3. Jabra BT250 Bluetooth Headset

4. Orange Blue2 Bluetooth USB Adapter

1. GPS - Now I have realtime routing and navigation. I can also use the GPS when war driving and it will remember where the hotspots are and tell me how far away I am from each of them.

2. Wifi - I can now copy files from my home network, get on the internet, and wardrive..

3. Jabra Headset - This is coming in today. With this wireless headset I can control the GPS navigation software (Routis) with Routis voice that 01331 wrote. I hope to evolve this and be able to control the Mp3 player (FrodoPlayer) as well.

4. Bluetooth adapter - enables connectivity to the headset and eventually a bluetooth phone.

Comment

Looks pretty good. Musta took a lot of work...

Where are you planning on running your USB wireless thing to? Is it just gonna hang on your dash?
                            Tidder

Try RevFE
                            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Great additons. You should look into getting a Orinoco wifi USB Client. I have one and it has a MMC connecter on it for an external antenna. I added one and got like a 4.5dB boost. Really extended my range.
                              My Install Thread
                              digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                              How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Working...
                              X