Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Escape 2005 - Updated

Lekan's Ford Escape 2005 - CarPuter

I all... I have added some new goodies to my system and wanted to share!
    I have added a Rear view camera, rear view mirror monitor and a second touch screen monitor. (I have yet to try to get the dual-touch screen working simultaneously - the goal though is to give the driver and passengers in the rear the ability to control the pc).

Click here to see the complete specs and pictures of the complete setup.
    http://carpc.bashua.com/

that is BAD ***!!! $$$$ spend well i say
    Lev
    hardware: 7"lilli mx440 pci,M10k/160GB/slim-slot DVD-CDRW/Hifonics ZEUS ZX8000,CNX1260,DConnex GPS,Powermate,usb WiFi
    software: XP Home/Media Car/RoadRunner/IGuidance 2.0
    Car: 2002 Ford Focus SVT

Comment

That Wide angle camera is awesome and review monitor is cool too.

That housing for the lilliput although custom and fibreglass is absolutly scary to say the least. It looks like some lava rock.
      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

If you don't mind, what kind of price did you get camera for?
        My Install Thread
        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
        How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Damn you, Lekan! (picture shaking my fist in the air......LEKAAAAAAAAAAAN)

I thought I'd be the first to post an Escape Carputer. Just got back from deployment and I'll be doing the install in the next couple weeks.

It looks sweet as hell. Is that rear monitor mount up all the time or is it a mod to the center console door?

How do you like that camera? I was thinking about getting the keyhol cam w/ 150deg angle.

Hopefully we should be able to share notes, shortly. Damn nice work, man.

cheers
          '03 Escape 4WD:
          -iTox mini-itx mobo, Core 2 Duo Mobile 1.66Ghz; 2GB, 80GB 2.5" HD, DS-ATX
          -Transflective 8.4"
          -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
          -Rearview camera with auto-switching (modified cheesbox)
          -Slim Slot DVD+RW
          -RR, DFX 4

Comment

damn nice thing looks and seriously was kinda expensive. Is this rearview monitor over the mirror? so you can use the mirror though?
            Golf 3 CarPc Status
            ///////////////50%--------------/
            PSU:Inverter
            GPS:BT GPS

PC: Slim notebook with 10.4"touch, external DVD.
            Dock for car is in production.
            Audio: Stock speakers but looking for new ones. CD-HU with FM modulator (ordered)

Comment

Is there anyway to have your Lilliput automatically switch to one of the other inputs when you switch to reverse??

That would be perfect for me.
              --------
              mykolJay
              99 Accord coupe
              http://www.geocities.com/accordpc
              My Project Thread on mp3car.com

Comment

Nice setup. Where did you buy the rear view mirror with monitor? link please...

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
                  ...That housing for the lilliput although custom and fibreglass is absolutly scary to say the least. It looks like some lava rock.
                  You're right! - I need to finish it. It is rough, but one of these days, I will sand it down and cover it with vynl! - I added a few more pics to explain that the housing does not always stay up! - It is the original arm rest molded over!

I got the idea from the new Chevy Malibu... see pcis!

Chevy Setup

My Setup

Originally posted by mykolJay
                  Is there anyway to have your Lilliput automatically switch to one of the other inputs when you switch to reverse??
                  Not sure about that... The rear view comes with a "trigger box" with a dedicated 12v line to the reverse light power line. All you have to do to install it is plice that wire. So... Perhaps there is a way to do that on the lilli... I really don't know how. -- Sorry!

Here is where I got the rear view camera from: http://qualitymobilevideo.com/Mercha...e=LBMS-5200PKG

I got this setup for the following:

1. When off... it is a regular mirror

2. It has 2 inputs... right now, both are to reverse (one for auto to reverse, the other of always on reverse while I drive)... perhaps I will change this to something else some day!

3. The mirror is not the cheapest... but it has a 5" lcd... that's huge for a rear view!

3. You can attach a regular camera to it, and have the mirror invert or flip the image... that way to can buy a cheap - $40 camera from X10 and still have the "mirrored" effect

4. I got the camera for its wide angle effect, lets me see all lanes of traffic... although distance is somewhat distorted. It works for me!

...I think I answered all the questions above!
                  Sorry for the extra long post folks!
                  -LekanB

Comment

sweet install..

stupid question: what is the xenarc mounted on? and what do you have that connected to under the stereo?

I'm looking to do something similar in my jeep, but the best i've come up with so far is a right angle install off the HVAC controls -- didnt even think of that really.
                    VIA EPIA 533 MHz
                    256 MB RAM
                    7" Lilliput VGA Touchscreen
                    20 gig HD
                    Media Engine 2.1.4
                    GPS - Earthmate/SA2004
                    802.11b Connectivity

Comment

Originally posted by mykolJay

That would be perfect for me.

I believe the Xenarc does this automatically. If you go through the on-screen set-up you should see "auto detect". I have not tested this, but I'm hoping that the monitor will switch when it detects a new signal (AV1) with the shifter in reverse and then revert back to the PC (input) when the car goes into drive.

Anyone set this up with a Zenarc? How did you create the "contact" device for the shifter? Thanks in advance. -m

Comment

Nav_Attack... sorry for not replying. The Xenarc is mounted on a "quick release" metalic mount. It's simply a metalic bracket, bended and screwed to the housing of the radio behind the dash. It is drilled to the monitor mounts with a screw as though it was on a ram mount. I am sure you can create something for your particular setup by modifying a http://www.ram-mount.com/
                        -Lekan

Comment

So yours isn't a ram mount?
                          Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                          Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                          Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

Today I bought a 2005 escape and plan to add a car computer to it like I did with my mazda 626. I will probably have several questions, but the first ones are: How happy are you with the location of the car computer? Does it hamper you much in using the head unit? Also, have you had your windows tinted beyond the factory tint? And if so how is the glare in the position it is in?

Comment

Ford Escape PC - Dec Update

Lekan's Ford Escape 2005 - CarPuter

I all... It has been 3 months since I updated this page. It's funny that that the improvements that I made were all ones people seem to be asking questions about.

Letís see...
                              1. I had my windows tinted to the legal limit for GA - That didn't do much for me at all when it comes to glare.

2. I travel frequently through Birmingham, AL on I-20. It seems they have been doing construction for ever now! Anyway, those roads get so bumpy, my "quick release" for the monitor mounted in front of the radio was not as stable as I would have liked it to be.

3. That also made using some of the buttons on the radio difficult to use.

... So... as the pics show: (1) Took out the ford factory radio (2din), replaced it with a clarion HU mounted in the arm rest console, (2) Placed the Xenarc in the Dash (80% complete... still need to tidy the fit-n-finish), (3) Added XM Radio (Will order a cable soon and replace with XM-Direct once I get a new case & carnetix ps).

Well... I hope that answered all the questions. I hope the pics help you Bama5150!

Click here to see the complete specs and pictures of the complete setup.
                              http://carpc.bashua.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X