Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Monte Carlo SS install

2000 Monte Carlo SS aka The 2G Hooptie
    Installed by me for me! Almost Two weeks of testing. Still Have a few minor things to finish. Put back A few nik naks here and there. I can finalize the install this weekend. I been mostly riding to my collection of music videos and mp3's. Its so kool to watch your favorite music videos and movies with surround sound in the car . The built in 5.1 soundcard sounds pretty good! Might upgrade to usb soundblaster, but i'm not in any rush. Enjoying what I have now. Special Thanks to everybody on this forum and my boi Ta at circuit city [he installed the amp].

Hardware
    EPIA Mini-ITX M1000 Motherboard
    Wester Digital 180GB Hard Drive
    512mb DDR Memory
    Panaconic CDR/DVD Drive [slim/slot load] USB
    Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
    On1 Digital Inrared Remote with Full QWERTY Keyboard and Mouse
    Opus 90w PSU
    Clarion 400watt 4 Channel Amp
    Monster Cable 4 Channel RCA Jacks and Street Wires Wire/Fuse Holder/Distribution block
    USB Playstation Controler Adapter
    Playstation 2 Controler

Software
    Windows XP Profesional SP2
    Windows Media Player 10 [DVD and MP3 Plugins]
    Divx Player 2.5.4 and Xvid, Ogg Codecs
    FrodoPlayer
    Grider
    Playstation One Emulater

Internet
    Motorola MPX 200 Smartphone [T-Mobile Data] via USB
    LinkSys WUSB54GP Wireless-G Portable USB Adapter [installing this weekend]

Pictures
    Custom Bezel with Mounting Ears. "Bondo Is Your Freind" Thanks MP3.com!

Bezel Installed!!

Molded USB 2.0 And Firewire Ports!

90w Opus/ M1000 / 180GB Harddrive installed in the ArmRest!!

Full Interior View! [Peep The On 1 Digital Full Qwerty Keyboard with built in mouse on the seat!!]

Clarion 400w 4channel Amp in the trunk

My MP3/Divx Ride!!

My 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Install

Great install, I really like how the screen looks. It fits in there nicely.

How are you keeping the cpu and motheboard cool? Did you put any fans to circulate the air?
    Installed
    Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
    512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
    Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
    [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

GREAT looking install. I really need to flush mount usb and firewire ports.
      How in the world would you put the special AirPort card in a PC? Mine is a Mac anyway but it's too old to AirPort. I just use a zip drive to transfer.

Comment

mmm.... thats some monte love right there

*edit* i posted the link to mymonte.com

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
          Great install, I really like how the screen looks. It fits in there nicely.

How are you keeping the cpu and motheboard cool? Did you put any fans to circulate the air?
          Thanks!

I'm working on that now. I might do an airduct with a fan at the end, and run it to the front or side of thev center console, or mold a fan or 2 on the side or the back of the armrest box to pull the hot air out.
          For now, I just open up the armrest from time to time to let air in.[ghetto] I always got the ac on, and havent experienced any overheating as yet. Been going strong for almost 2 weeks.
          I still have to clean up some of the wires in the box to get more breathing room for the hardware. I'll get to all that this weekend.

Comment

Very nice..

Looks great! I like your remote with the keyboard, i did a quick google but couldnt find where to get one. Did you get yours online? If so where can i get one, and how good does it work?
            Also great idea on the flush mounted usb, keep it up!

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Hcomplyr
              mmm.... thats some monte love right there

Comment

Originally posted by ea972271
                Looks great! I like your remote with the keyboard, i did a quick google but couldnt find where to get one. Did you get yours online? If so where can i get one, and how good does it work?
                Also great idea on the flush mounted usb, keep it up!

Matt
                Thanks!

This is where I got mine:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...722437019&rd=1

It works with infrared. It comes with an infrared reciever and hooks up to a free com port via serial connector.

This tread has all the info:
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15539

Comment

Sweet!

Thanks man! Looks like what I need.

Comment

Very good job. Love the molded USB/FW. I should do that some day.
                    My Install Thread
                    digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                    How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Very clean!! Diggin' the USB/FW ports.... Looks great!!
                      1999 Olds Bravada
                      15" In-Dash/7"headrests/AMD 2500+/768/160G/DVD
                      Extigy Platinum/GeForce Ti/Opus 150w/GPS/WiFi Bluetooth/Sony Ericsson T610
                      Soundstream Amps/RF Components/Subs

2002 Jetta VRoom6
                      *Work In Progress*

Comment

snmnetwork... That's a hot install man! - We need to get another GA meet sometime before it gets too cold.

One question... the lcd in the dash... what brand/did you do the fabrication work yourself?
                        -Thanks

Comment

WOW! That looks completely stock. I think I might have to say that your install is one of the best that I have seen on here. I wish I had that kind of time to devote to my install! You've just made me insanely jealous. Do you want to fabricate a screen mold like that for my Rodeo? I would be forever greatful!

Hey, thanks for providing a link to that remote/keyboard - I had been meaning to get one of those, but I kept putting it off...seeing this thread reminded me...so now I have one on the way. Thanks!
                          2001 Isuzu Rodeo CarPC

Comment

Thanks for all the replies Everybody!

Originally posted by LekanB
                            snmnetwork... That's a hot install man! - We need to get another GA meet sometime before it gets too cold.

One question... the lcd in the dash... what brand/did you do the fabrication work yourself?
                            -Thanks
                            I appreciate all the love!! The screen is a lilliput touchscreen purchased right here at the MP3.com store. Yes, I did the fabrication. I read through alot of how to posts on bondo here first tho.

I'm down for a GA meet also. I wanted to go to the Nopi meet, but somthing came up. I'll be at the next one tho. I'll make a post in the Ga meet thread.

Originally posted by Sheerdark
                            WOW! That looks completely stock. I think I might have to say that your install is one of the best that I have seen on here. I wish I had that kind of time to devote to my install! You've just made me insanely jealous. Do you want to fabricate a screen mold like that for my Rodeo? I would be forever greatful!

Hey, thanks for providing a link to that remote/keyboard - I had been meaning to get one of those, but I kept putting it off...seeing this thread reminded me...so now I have one on the way. Thanks!
                            That screen bezel took me 2 days to fab. I'ts not that hard. You need a dremel, bondo and lots of patiance. Sand, Sand and Sand. lol. I would need the truck infront of me to see what is what. Test fit and all that. But you'll be better off trying yoursel, to save $$. See if Matra makes a radio instillation kit for that truck. That would be a good way to start. Try Fry's or Circuit city for the kit. I should be stopping by frys today. I'll see if they have somthing you can work with. You'll also need a sheet of ABS plastic also made by Matra.

You'll like that remote. I find it very useful. You even got four keys on their to open up programs at the touch of a button.

Comment

I was only kidding about having you do the bezel for me, but it would be nice to be able to buy something like that. It's not that I don't want to - or even that I can't do it....it's just that I don't have the time to do it. I'm a Senior planning on graduation in May from Mercer University and I have a 10 month old daughter and a nagging wife . So, what little time I have free from school, is already taken. Therefore, when I put the CarPc in the car, I had to go for the quickest route each time. I just really like the way that you moulded a part to bolt into your car that sits behind the actual dash opening, so that it looks flush, even if it is not. That would look 100 times better than what I have now - and it would also take care of my not wanting to have to put bondo on the woodgrain of my dash - because all the modification would occur behind it. I'll have to bookmark this thread and come back here one day when I have some time to give it a try. I'm excited to get the remote to try it out...I know it will prove useful for GPS text entry!
                              2001 Isuzu Rodeo CarPC

Comment

Working...
                              X