2002 Montero Limited Install...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Montero Limited Install...

I finished installing my carputer at the beginning of summer, but have never
    had the time until now to get all the pictures sorted out. This thread is just a summary
    of the install. For a full look at the entire build with captions, goto CarPuter.DavidMonto.com

System Specs
    Dell P3-500 Laptop powered by a auto-air adapter
    Audigy 2 NX for 5.1 surround sound
    802.11g D-Link WiFi for getting on my network
    Lilliput 7" TouchScreen
    iMAC slot load DVD drive converted to IDE then converted to USB 2.0
    D-Link USB Radio
    Deluo GPS

Audio Specs
    Infinity speakers in the front & rear doors
    Infinity tweeters in the A-Pillars
    Custom 2-way center channel in console
    Kicker Solo-baric L7 10" Subwoofer
    Kicker KX700.5 5-channel amplifier
    20w center channel amplifier

Software Specs
    Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 2)
    FrodoPlayer
    NetStumbler
    Routis 2004 updated to iGuidance 2.0

Install Photo Summary

The vehicle: 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

The original dash layout (with wood trim already removed)

Finishing up dash install showing overall placement of components

Using my 3-axis benchtop CNC to mill a slot for the DVD to eject

Completed dash install

Custom molded Lilliput casing fits in dash beautifully

Rear install: laptop, amp, audigy, auto-adapter & subwoofer etc...

Custom fabbed panels to hold all components aesthetically

Floor cover installed for stealth install (3rd row seat used to go in there )

My custom Windows XP boot screen

Montero again...

That's all! For way more detail into every aspect of the build...
    please goto CarPuter.DavidMonto.com (240-some pictures!!)

ENJOY!
    CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
    Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Kicker KX700.5 amp; 20w center amp; Kicker L7 10" Sub
    Display: Lilliput 7" TouchScreen
    CarPuter Install

God look, and a nice job
    you will get lot of god hour with it
    Plan for project = 100%
    Part the project. = 100%
    Built...................= 99%
    Finish.................= 99%
    Install ...............= 99% -50%
    Ditail at 4u2n.dk
    Here

Comment

that would be "good"
      Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
      Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid
        I browse quikly by your site this morning and it looks like you did a great job. I wish I had mine like that already

Unfortunley, my dash is very diferent from yours so I'm still on the drawing board.

On top off all, the dash is texturized, so I'm not sure how can i mod it and keep the same stock look.

BTW, i just try the link you gave and it's not available.
        Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
        Status -->
        Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
        BraveCar 2.5

Comment

Wow your dash is different... I thought for sure they would share the same interior...

I checked my link and its working okay.. sometimes the server gets loaded down....

If others are having problems please let me know!

GoodLuck Bravellir!
          CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
          CarPuter Install

Comment

lookin damn Good bro!!! I like it allot. Very clean install. Love the screen mount and the work you did on the cdr/dvd. saweet!
            My 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS Install

Comment

VERY VERY VERY Clean instal. Looks nice.

Comment

Squid, very nice instal. My car has grey leather interior also. Do you find it difficult some time to observe your lilliput due to glare off of the seats/interior?
                EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

Thanks!

The screen is very viewable all the time. Only time you really have problems viewing
                  it is if I get direct sunlight coming in onto screen. I think it being a little recessed in the dash
                  helps a bit too.
                  CarPuter Install

Comment

I guess the key word is recessed, huh? I'm planning to in-dash my lilliput also. I noticed that your side & back windows were tinted. I guess that kinda helps also.

Thanks for prompt reply.
                    EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

2 things: how does the 5.1 REALLY sound? And how do you get a signal to it for it to be TRUE 5.1 without its own amp?

Comment

The 5.1 sounds awesome... so clear... and discreet...
                        My center channel isn't the most heartiest of speakers.. but it provides good
                        sound for what I need in the size I need it.

Confused on the second part... but I'll explain my setup...

Audigy 2 NX decodes true 5.1 ... that and along with a plugin called AC3filter to
                        make FrodoPlayer output 5.1...
                        So I take each individual output from the Audigy and run those into my 5 channel amp
                        for front left & right, rear left & right, and the subwoofer. The center channel uses
                        a small 20w amp that powers a homemade 2-way speaker (tweeter and 5"x3"~approx) for the center channel.
                        And that amp is fed the center channel signal from the audigy.

So there you have it.. a full 5.1 discreet sound system.

Does that answer your question?

More details and pics of the center speaker and amp can be seen at my
                        carputer pic website: Carputer.DavidMonto.com
                        CarPuter Install

Comment

How hard was it to balance out the volume for the center speaker ?
                          [H]4 Life
                          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

Yes it does actually. Ok i understand now. I will have three amps with my setup. I have the M-Audio Sonica Threatre HERE
                            and i will be using a 4 channel and then have a sep sub amp and use this Alpine Center channel HERE
                            For the TRUE 5.1!!! Hopefully it will all work out and sound awesome

Comment

haha, man you paid a ton of money for a center channel speaker. All you had to do was buy a single mid/high range speaker and put it behind the dash/screen/ashtray and bump the gain up on it a little. Stealth and you cant tell the difference
                              -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Working...
                              X