Mazda Protege5 Indash Carputer Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda Protege5 Indash Carputer Install

I just finished installing my first carputer in my 2003 Mazda Protege5. No bolts or screws were used in the process of this installation. The entire carputer is in the dash. Yeah, it's not as pretty as it could be, oh well.

The hardware specs are:

M10000 motherboard
    40gig Fujitsu laptop hard drive
    256 meg memory
    Xenarc 7" touchscreen
    USB Wireless-B Wi-fi antenna (working on installing, probably this weekend)
    USB GPS mouse
    Bluetooth Dongle
    Panasonic slimslot DVD-RW drive (still to be installed)
    Audioforge 200 watt power supply w/ ITPS
    Custom case made by a friend

I'm using FrodoPlayer right now and Routis 2004, running under WinXP Pro w/ SP2.

Here is a link to more pics:

http://www.moxnix.org/Car/Carputer/
    Carputer Pics
    Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Look for me on the track, cause that's where you'll find me.

I have the same car. How did you fit all that with that huge brace right in the way? You know the brace I'm talking about? dead center behind the stock stereo.

Comment

Really Nice work!! Looks great, I wish i had that in my car!

May I ask how you are getting the sound through your speakers, direct to Amps or Head unit??

Seriously though, it looks great! I like the fact that all that stuff is hidden in the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by knubile
        I have the same car. How did you fit all that with that huge brace right in the way? You know the brace I'm talking about? dead center behind the stock stereo.
        Very carefully. My friend built the case out of HVAC steel and cut it so it pressed against that brace and curved around the HVAC controls at the base. It is ziptied to metal beams on either side. The case just clears the top of the board and the hard drive perches right on top, so the whole thing is maybe 3.5-4 inches deep.
        Carputer Pics
        Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Comment

nice, hows that ITPS and 200watt PSU working out for ya?
          PC Components:
          Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
          My work log

Comment

Nice. So it's a real custom fit for the protege. It's not just a double din by 4" box?

Comment

Originally posted by ea972271
              Really Nice work!! Looks great, I wish i had that in my car!

May I ask how you are getting the sound through your speakers, direct to Amps or Head unit??

Seriously though, it looks great! I like the fact that all that stuff is hidden in the dash.
              4 channel Clarion APA450 amp under the front passenger seat. Eventually, I'll be adding a JL 8WO sub in the hatch.

I had my last HU stolen and decided to do this as a way to have what I wanted, without having something that looked suspicious or easily removeable.
              Carputer Pics

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                nice, hows that ITPS and 200watt PSU working out for ya?
                It's working fine. I think the carnetix one is better than the ITPS since it has the delay for the amps but the popping is not to bad right now. The "200 watt" might be a little overkill since the computer is built with laptop parts but it was part of a deal on another part so it is fine. Also the ITPS fits in the location very well and I think the carnetix is bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by knubile
                  Nice. So it's a real custom fit for the protege. It's not just a double din by 4" box?
                  Yes.

Case
                  http://www.moxnix.org/Car/Carputer/Case.jpg

Case Installed
                  http://www.moxnix.org/Car/Carputer/M...20Vertical.jpg

Comment

nice. but you havent had any issues with the ITPS? I've heard horror stories of it not safely powering psus over 100watts......and i've heard you shouldnt attempt over 70w
                    PC Components:
                    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                    My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                      nice. but you havent had any issues with the ITPS? I've heard horror stories of it not safely powering psus over 100watts......and i've heard you shouldnt attempt over 70w

No issues yet but it is not using the full 200w of the power supply. The setup is pretty low power if you look at it. Running the M10000 MB with a laptop hard drive, and Xenarc screen off the ITPS. plus all the stuff running on USB. This is not taxing the power supply I am not sure about the ITPS.

Comment

true true
                        PC Components:
                        My work log

Comment

Just an idea but why dont u get some of that silver striping u know that bendable crome looking strip with glue on the back and put it around the shape of the LCD then i would hide the sides and it would look like a pro did it
                          CarPC Status:
                          GPS: 99%
                          Hardware: 99%
                          Software: 92%
                          Case Install: 99.9%
                          Dash Install: 100%
                          Car Install: 72%

Comment

No silver trim in the car, so I don't think I'll do that. I could probably smooth it out w/ a filler if I feel like doing that later.

So far since the install I've driven it to my mom's house, 1.5 hr. drive, then a 1.5 hour drive back, out to the airport, .5 hr drive and some bopping about on errands and over rough roadwork and nothing has come loose yet. Go Velcro and zipties.
                            Carputer Pics

Comment

nice guy. i wanted to put it behind there too, just could not make it fit, good job never though about placing it vertical, instead put it in the glovbox, great job, have fun
                              CarPuter ProgressO meterO
                              [+++++++++] 100%, 1Ghz Epia M,opus 90w, Earthmate GPS, 7 inch lilliput molded into dash, anything i forget?
                              visit me on the web at
                              http://gozips.uakron.edu/~cmk23/

Comment

Working...
                              X