2004 WRB WRX Sport Wagon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 WRB WRX Sport Wagon

Mostly done with my install on my WRX. Thought I'd share since I got so much info from these forums.

Screen: Xenarc 700TS
    Mobo: VIA EPIA M1000
    Power: OPUS 90W DC-DC

First, my car.

Front View

Doing an install in the winter in NJ sucks.

Completed pics

LCD looks funny cause the protective film is still on it.

Formating HD after XP BSOD due to my hooking up the battery and remote wires in reverse.

Up and running

Chatting on AIM

Post install thoughts:

Xenarc 700TS fits in the double DIN slot JUST BARELY. A little bigger and it wouldn't have made it. As it is, the plastic bar under the bezel bends when the screen is fitted.

I used an IKEA key box for the PC. Got the idea off of the forum.

Again, a VERY tight fit. I actually had to sand down the sides of the mobo and opus to get them to get them to lay flush. VERY nerve wrecking.

Overall, this build took a lot of work, but it was definately worth it Then again, I've never really done any fabrication before so there was a pretty big learning curve for me. So YMMV.

Still to do: Computer is running, but mostly barebones, no frills.

- Getting interference out of speakers. Going to try swapping amp and PC to have less power/speaker wires running close. Also haven't ground the PC case yet.

- Picking a front end

- Add extras: GPS, USB hub, Optical drive maybe.

Comment

Nicely done! Where is the PC? Pics!

OK,ok, I was a bit impatient
      List of front-ends/usefull apps
      XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

looks good! bet that AWD is nice in the snow hu?

can't wait to see the rest of the install!
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

im installing on my 04 wrb wrx today, hopefully i can post pics tonight or tomorrow, perhaps to compare notes...

Comment

I'm glad to see someone else doing a WRX install...

My WRX is nearly the same, being blue and a wagon, but it's a 2003.

I don't actually have a CarPC installed, but it's been in the planning stages for quite some time.

A few questions:

How did you mount the LCD in the dash?
            Is it just stuck in there, or did you remove the LCD guts from the monitor?

Where are you going to stick the computer itself?

BTW, I grew up in NJ.. and I don't miss the snow that much.

Comment

Mounting the LCD

I had originally planned on using a fiberglass housing to hold the touchscreen/lcd components.

Never worked with fiberglass before. The housing came out decent but I got overzealous with the dremel and sanded it too thin. And it wouldn't have fit anyways.

I didn't want to mount the xenarc housing to the dash so I built a Lexan (plexiglass) housing and stuck the Xenarc housing to the front. I used epoxy to glue the box and the housing together.

I built the housing to the dimensions of the stock wrx radio.

Right now I'm using the stock Xenarc connectors. I've routed the Xenarc cigarette adapter under the center console and out the side and it just plugs right in. No need for a switch if I want to turn off the LCD Not very elegant but works good for now. You can see it on the pictures in my first post if you look closely.

I sanded down the back of the radio bezel to get a more flush mount to the LCD. Beware: The bezel IS NOT flat so if you want to get a perfect fit, it'll be a pain. Unfortunately, I have a small gap. But it's not very noticeable and I'll probably get some material to fill it in so it'll mout flush eventually.

Red GTi VR6: There really is no rest of the install. I'm trying to keep it low profile so the LCD is really the only visible component. I have an amp under the driver side seat and the PC under the passenger seat. If u wanted to have a visual of something else, let me know and I'll grab a photo of it

I do have this picture tho:

After my XP died horribly, I had to hook up a CDROM to reinstall windows. The PC is under the driver seat but I was getting noise interference out of the speakers so I rerouted my parts and cables. Sounds great now! That white crap in the picture is snow. brrrrr.

Comment

UPDATE: DO NOT USE THE NEW 1.16 BIOS AND NEW VIDEO DRIVERS FOR THE M1000 WITH THE XENARC. The older BIOS/vidoe drivers seem to work better. The process described below will work, but you have to go through the process each time. And that's definately NOT cool.

Xenarc / Epia M1000 resoultions

I don't remember the settings I had my video at in the pictures above (haven't been working on much sleep and I've changed things around like a billion times).

I just flashed my M1000 to the latest bios and installed the latest video drivers and my screen just got borked. I spent hours playing around with it, and I just FINALLY found a pretty good solution. Apparently, the Epia doesn't support 800x480 and 848x480 was giving me a blank display and all the other resolutions weren't using the whole screen. In the display properties screen (where you can change the screen resolution) press the advanced button. There will be a tab (at least in the latest driver) with a picture of three displays. Something like Monitor, LCD, TV. What I did was checked the LCD checkbox and the screen comes out pretty damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by pdpbunsen
                  Xenarc / Epia M1000 resoultions
                  Apparently, the Epia doesn't support 800x480 and 848x480 was giving me a blank display and all the other resolutions weren't using the whole screen.

Have you tried using the Powerstrip program with the timing settings shown here?

http://www.xenarc.com/faq.html#QA1

Comment

Red GTi VR6: There really is no rest of the install. I'm trying to keep it low profile so the LCD is really the only visible component. I have an amp under the driver side seat and the PC under the passenger seat. If u wanted to have a visual of something else, let me know and I'll grab a photo of it

I do have this picture tho:

After my XP died horribly, I had to hook up a CDROM to reinstall windows. The PC is under the driver seat but I was getting noise interference out of the speakers so I rerouted my parts and cables. Sounds great now! That white crap in the picture is snow. brrrrr.
                    sweet!!!

simple and clean!

sometimes I wish we would get some snow down here....growing up in Houston means I've seen snow twice....lol
                    Jan Bennett
                    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Giuliano
                      Have you tried using the Powerstrip program with the timing settings shown here?

http://www.xenarc.com/faq.html#QA1
                      Yes, I've tried numerous times. I can't even adjust anything on that screen in powerstrip before the screen goes blank.

On powerstrips forums:

I'm afraid that hardware is not supported. The reasons are spelled out here, but my understanding is that that the EPIA onboard video is not very programmmable, and the VIA drivers do not support custom, user-defined resolutions.
                      http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/v...ghlight=xenarc

Integrated and mobile graphics controllers - and this includes everything from the nForce and GeForceGo, to the ATI Mobility and IGP chips, as well as the various Intel graphics from the i810 onwards - are not specifically supported or validated with PowerStrip.

It is simply not practical to support this type of graphics hardware: there are too many notebooks and IGP-based motherboards to support, and they are too expensive to purchase, too time consuming to set up and get running, and too sparcely documented, to justify the effort that would be required to support them.

A mobile or integrated graphics controller may work with PowerStrip, but only because, and to the extent that, it shares some common features with its "desktop relatives".
                      http://entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18

Those settings will likelly work on a video CARD (my GeForce 6800 does 800x480 just fine on the Xenarc), but not for the integrated video on the M1000.

Also, for the resolutions, in the advanced section of the video card setup, there is a button that will allow you to select from all modes supported by the M1000 on one of the tabs. It lists 848x480, but it does NOT work with my 700ts.

Comment

I think that the limitations of the VIA graphics chipset may be why I've been looking at this board for a while:

http://www.commell-sys.com/Product/SBC/LV-671.HTM

I've been considering the option of using the on-board LVDS video with an appropriate 7" widescreen LCD panel at 800x480.

It'll most likely involve hacking the system's bios, injecting an updated VGA bios from Intel, and reflashing to enable the LCD panel timing menus.. just gotta find the right tools..

The board uses Intel's Extreme Graphics 2 video, which can use up to 64MB or more of the system RAM.. and there's even Media Center 2005 drivers for it.

The driver pack also includes VGA bios files and configuration scripts for OEM developers, so I think I should be able to tweak it around to enable the advanced options I need..

Comment

Looks like I'm stuck with 800x600 on the 700TSV for now since I've no room on my PC to use an addon video card.

I reverted back to the original BIOS on the motherboard with the video driver that came on the CD. The new BIOS and video drivers result in blacked out areas when the screen gets resized all funny. Getting better results sticking with the older video drivers running at 800x600 @ 75Hz.

I've decided to use Frodoplayer as my front end. Its working great so far. Don't forget to set to fullscreen if running at 800x600.

Comment

Chatting on AIM
                            Hopefully not while driving

Really nice install.

Peace,

Rafster
                            Post # 3000

Comment

8.4" 800x600 LCD in WRX

FYI:

I think I've settled on what LCD I'm going to use, and avoid the 800x480 problem entirely, by using an 8.4" 4:3 screen with a native resolution of 800x600.

I started a new thread in the LCD channel to show what I'm planning, so as not to overcrowd this thread too much.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=342436

Comment

Working...
                              X