My Aussie Car PC System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Aussie Car PC System

Hello All. I am brand new to this forum and I thought i'd start off by showing you all my project that I've been working on.

I reside in Melbourne, Australia. I've always wanted to setup a fully functioning pc in a car. I had the chance as I was able to purchase the parts reasonably cheap.

You don't see too many Aussie cars in here so i though i'd do a first. There's a Ford.. Now It's time for a Holden.. It's most feared rival!

I own a Holden Commodore VX Wagon and I thought I'd install a big stereo system and car pc.

The computer bits:

I bought a Epia 800mhz motherboard system which I figured would play my videos and mp3s well. I am still experimenting with frontends. So far it seems to run alright. I bought a 80 gig Maxtor hard drive which seems to cope ok in the glovebox with bumps considering I have a lowered car with stiffer shocks.

I purchased a Pioneer RCA Input so I can jack the computer directly into the head unit. Sounds way better than a modulator.

I purchased a 80 watt Morex brand 12V Power supply for the project which will power a normal sized hard drive and the motherboard and all other goodies i plug intot he USB such as 54 meg wireless.

I installed wireless so I can pull up in my driveway and it will connect auto to my Access point and I can remote control it via VNC and upload more mp3's and videos to the pc. Alternatively I can plug a Ethernet cable in and copy much faster to the pc.

The screen I bought cheap off ebay. It's no means the best you can buy. I had to hard mount it to the dash until I eventually upgrade to a fold away in-dash screen. I am waiting for the Liliput In-dash touch screen screens. Easy to remove or get stolen, yes but by budget leaves me with little choice at the moment. The cord you can see if the USB mouse. I will swap this over for my USB thumb IR device so It will be hidden and controlled by remote control.

The following are pics of my project as they progressed. I have included pictures of my building of the Sub woofer box for the Kicker Subs also. Let me know what you all think.

This is the best pic i have been able to get of it so far all setup and working.

(The thumbnail pics having problems but most of the pics are still there)
    Sorry about the pics. I took many of them at night and they came out a little blury.. You get the idea though.

If you have any questions as I had to find a lot out by myself because nobody realy has a very good documentation on making a full car pc I will be happy to share any information with you.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/vxwagman

and pics here:

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~nbaxter/carpc/
    CAR INFO HERE
    "He who dies with the most toys, wins".

Pretty nice like the rims, those are the same exact ones i was gonna get on my altima they're ROH Fury right?

Comment

yeah ROH fury 18" in Shadow Chrome
      CAR INFO HERE

Comment

Cool, nice job

Comment

Talking of Showoff of the Week. I have updated my car pc with a brand new Morex Case . Don't forget to drop me a vote or just a comment! Thanks
          CAR INFO HERE

Comment

[....99.9%]
            [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
            [....99.8%]
            [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
            [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

Comment

Bah another bloody holden :P lol

I've seen it it looks nice

install is clean and simple you did a great job

Also the first aussie car on here that i've seen was the guy with the new XR6 or was it a XR8 i dont remember lol
              CarPC Status:
              GPS: 99%
              Hardware: 99%
              Software: 92%
              Case Install: 99.9%
              Dash Install: 100%
              Car Install: 72%

Comment

Hey Holden/Chev's are cool.. hehe.. Thanks for the comments people
                CAR INFO HERE

Comment

Go the LS1.

I've also got a VX, a Series 1 Calais LS1.

The screen's in, CarPC's being built as we speak...so in a week or two I should be adding to the list of Mp3Car.com Holdens.

Cheers,
                  - Febs.

PS: Any engine mods yet? Are you a member of http://www.ls1.com.au/ ?
                  PPS: Never mind, read your CarDomain page. Enough with the ICE...get that thing EDITED!

Comment

for sure mate.. yeah i'm a member of ls1 but dont go to their meets

i go to commodoreclub.net meets.. so if your interested in checking out my pc let me know and i can show ya and have a look at your setup also..

post up some pics when u can!!

most of my pics can be viewed here:

CAR INFO HERE

Comment

Nice going!!!

How did you put the screen on your dash?? Ik like it because I haven't got place for a in dash and don't want to wreck my dash!!

Comment

I bought a spacer off ebay for about $25 and then "modded" myself a metal bracket which screws into the back of the screen.. it's a little fiddly but it works. Ideally I want to get an in-dash touch screen because getting to the climate control is a bit of hit n miss but dont have the $$$ for a better screen yet. i've seen a custom airbag console made which sits on the passengers side with a 7" screen moulded into it.. More of a show car though and would have cost quite a bit to make up.
                        CAR INFO HERE

Comment

i really dont like holdens, but yours is the ****!
                          CarPC Status:

Hardware: 100%
                          Software: 100%
                          Case Install: 100%
                          Dash Install: 100%
                          Car Install: 100%

crap factor: 100%

new carpc finished, thinking of way to mount HDD
                          and not installed yet.

Comment

lol.. thanks.. i think..

update: I got USB GPS reciever so soon I will have GPS setup.. I want to get some voice GPS software so i can not only input directions via voice activation but have it read the route back to me as I drive it..

I will put some pics up as they come to hand.
                            CAR INFO HERE

Comment

Originally posted by vxcarpc
                              lol.. thanks.. i think..
                              yeah there was a compliment in there somewhere!

Comment

Working...
                              X