89 Supra Turbo finished (for now)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Supra Turbo finished (for now)

My aging 89T is finally done. Didn't come out as clean as I had hoped, but I got tired of filling/sanding/priming/etc Plus, having to deal with the stupid rubber covered console piece just plain sucks (MatrixPC and cassio know what I'm talking about). Nothing matches the texture or color so I opted to just primer the whole thing and hit it with flat black, which surprisingly matches the rest of the interior pieces.

Car info:
    - Spearco front mount intercooler
    - Hard pipe intercooler kit
    - HKS PowerShroom intake
    - HKS 75mm downpipe
    - HKS 75mm catback w/ single exit
    - Random Tech 75mm high flow cat
    - Apex-I AVC-R boost controller
    - Lexus AFM (w/ stock 440cc injectors)
    - Spearco water injection
    - Greddy turbo timer
    - TRD clutch & flywheel
    - Stock CT26 turbo w/ 193k miles (still going strong!)

Audio info:
    - 1 JL Audio 12W0 sub sunk in the spare tire well
    - Fronts: Boston Acoustics Pro 4s separates
    - Rear: None at the moment (trying to find something that'll fit)
    - 1 Sony 120w 4ch running fronts
    - 1 AG200 200w 2ch running sub

Sorry for the low res pics.. crappy camera phones and all...
    Attached Files
    89 Supra Turbo

where is the puter itself?

Comment

need more pics!
      肚子笑痛了
      S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by kickercivic1
        where is the puter itself?
        In the left-side storage panel in the hatch where the stock jack is normally stored. I made a custom case out of the M10K's cardboard box that it came in until I can make a custom plexi case. M1-ATX is attached to side of box w/ simple hotglue for ease of removal at a later time.

Originally posted by jcdillin
        need more pics!
        Duly noted and soon to be rectified

EDIT: First post now has pictures of car, car PC, and audio install.
        89 Supra Turbo

Comment

Awesome.... im still optomistic about my project, but i have a few other things to perfect on before I go to it.... And I know what you mean by how much the rubber suck, but that came out awesome... i may try to mold something up to an older cracked center console I have. How difficult is it to remove that one now that its more rigid than the stock one?

check out a pic of My "agin" 87 Turbo hardtop

-ian
          http://ibconceptions.com/supra/suprapics/backsig.jpg

Comment

Heya Drait, I've got an 89Turbo myself (So I actually recognize all the performance mods you've made too :wink.

I have to say that's an awesome bit of work with that center console piece. I've never seen a material like that other than in Mk3 Supra center consoles. I'd originally hoped to manage an install like yours but actually gave up before it started, thinking it was just impossible to do as good a job as you did. So my near term plan is to get one of the slide out/motorized gizmos (xenarc). And maybe at some point replace the entire thing but that'll require climate control work.

What display did you use? And what are its dimensions? Do you find that mounting position works well for visibility/use? Does shifter interfere much when it's in 1st/3rd/5th?

Hit me up on AIM as WilLyons2 if you want to talk Supras.

~Lake

Comment

Yup, I know it is a PITA to get the LCD stick to the rubber bezel.
              Nice job
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by cassio
                How difficult is it to remove that one now that its more rigid than the stock one?
                Actually, on the backside of the console piece there's a lot of reinforcing plastic pieces that I chopped out, so with the screen mounted, it kind of flexes right above the screen, below the ashtray hole. Exactly where it needs to flex in order to come out easily. I didn't actually plan that far ahead though, just happened to luck out
                89 Supra Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Lake
                  What display did you use? And what are its dimensions? Do you find that mounting position works well for visibility/use? Does shifter interfere much when it's in 1st/3rd/5th?
                  It's the Lilliput/Newision 7" touchscreen. Not as bright as I would like during the day (and all the Lilli haters will say "you should've gotten a Xenarc/Gain then!") but it was cost-effective and it works relatively well. Visibility is about 10% in direct sunlight, but great at dusk/night. And the shifter is only in the way in 1st and 3rd. From the driver's POV at any rate. My kid says it's in the way in all the gears when he's trying to watch a show
                  89 Supra Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by drait
                    It's the Lilliput/Newision 7" touchscreen. Not as bright as I would like during the day (and all the Lilli haters will say "you should've gotten a Xenarc/Gain then!") but it was cost-effective and it works relatively well. Visibility is about 10% in direct sunlight, but great at dusk/night. And the shifter is only in the way in 1st and 3rd. From the driver's POV at any rate. My kid says it's in the way in all the gears when he's trying to watch a show
                    On my setup the shifter doesn't interfere with the driver POV cuz I have a "chop aka short shifter mod" shifter .
                    What? you have kid in the back of the Supra? That's a torture for them.
                    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                    89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Yeah, I've got the chopped short shifter mod (from the old SOGI tech tips!) also, but it's still not short enough. I think even with the C's short-shift mod it would still obscure part of the view from the driver's seat. No way around that I suppose.... except switch to the A340E, and that's not something I feel like doing

And the kiddo rides up front. Not entirely the safest place for him, but much easier ingress/egress.
                      89 Supra Turbo

Comment

Few more pics

After getting ***** from my coworker about how "ghetto" my Rikaline GPS looked on the outside of my car (it was attached to the metal strip surrounding the hatch glass), I did some plexi tinkering and made a custom mount so that it could be placed on the inside of the hatch, with the top facing through the glass. Initial testing shows that there is very little signal loss between outside and inside, so it'll stay inside from now on. This mount could easily be used on the front windshield or the back, for those that want the unit as close to the glass as possible. It could even be reduced in size if you were to crack open the case and take the components out (since they no longer need to be waterproof).
                        Attached Files
                        89 Supra Turbo

Comment

Wow...using the mobo box as a case...wow, that's ghetto.

But hey, it seems to work well.

Good job on the install.
                          1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
                          PC built into console
                          worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

Yeah, it was a quick and cheap case until I can procure the necessary plexi for my custom jobber.
                            89 Supra Turbo

Comment

dude looks nice, im gonna be working on my carputer here soon, ill get pics up
                              1989 Toyota supra turbo 5spd targa. CARPC on its way :P

My car

Comment

Working...
                              X