Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKIV Supra TT - Mac Mini / Custom Dash / Custom Boot

Hi Guys,

I'm a new poster, but have been lurking on here for quite a while, gleaming information and admiring everyones handywork! I thought i'd share with you my project, I think you'll agree it's a little bit special! Possibly one of the first to get a Mac Mini into a car?

Specs:

Dash Insert:
    Removed: Clock, Cigarette Lighter, Double DIN slot, 2 x aircon vents, Slip control/Active Spoiler/Blank switches, Speed/Revs/Fuel/Temp dials
    Moved: AC controls, Dash Dimmer Switch, Foglight Switch, Mirror adjustment switch
    Fabrication: Completely smoothed and shaped to follow standard contours, with inset touchscreen surround plate and re-fabricated instrument panel housing.
    Added:

Dakota digital instrument panel
    0-255 MPH Speedo, 0-80 MPH Bar Graph, 0-8000 RPM Bar Graph Tach, 0-18,000 Numeric Tach readout, 0-80 PSI Oil Pressure, 0-300 F Water Temp, 8-17V Voltmeter, 0-99% Fuel Level Gauge, Odometer/Trip Odometer (0-999.9), Indicator Signal, High Beam, Handbrake, Wait to start, Cruise Engaged, Gear Shift Position, Engine Check, Resettable Service meter (0-9,999.9), 0-60 MPH timer, High Speed Recall, Mile Time, End of Mile speed, High RPM recall, settable shift indicator, Automatic Night Dimming and Adjustable Warning Points.

8" Xenarc touchscreen LCD monitor
    1x VGA input, 2x Composite inputs, 640x480~1600x1200 resolution, Adjustable backlight level with light/dark settings (reduces glare at night), Auto power-on upon signal detection (turns on with the source), Automatic display adjustment (resizes/calibrates automatically).

Apple Mac Mini
    1.42Ghz CPU, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, Superdrive (CDRW/DVDRW etc), Bluetooth enabled, Airport Extreme (wireless networking) enabled, OS

PowerMate USB rotary controller
    Allows user defineable actions for the rotary controls, such as Click, Rotate Right, Rotate Left, Click and Rotate Right, Click and Rotate Right, Long click. For example in iTunes Rotate Right increases volume, Rotate Left decreases volume, Click pauses/plays, Click and Rotate Right skips to next track, Click and Rotate Left skips to previous track. Also used to navigate all software in a similar way to BMW's iDrive system.

Salling Clicker Software
    An incredible piece of software that lets me remote control my Mac via bluetooth from my Nokia 7610! Browse MP3's, control DVD's, increase/decrease volume using my mobile!

Centre Console/Armrest:
    Removed: Ashtray, armrest cover, armrest tray/insert
    Fabrication: Total rebuild of the centre console to allow the relocation of the AC controls under a completely new hinged cover. A sloping mount was created to house the PowerMate to allow intuitive and free access to controls for audio/visual.
    Added:

Thor Racing Auxilary Dials
    Stainless steel replacement fascia's for the AC control dials and warning light plates.

Doors:
    Removed: Factory speakers and enclosures
    Fabrication: One-off fabricated door inserts, with a reshaped contour and brushed aluminium handles/detailing.
    Added:

R.E XXX series 6.5" mid drivers
    Phass A-series 2-way crossovers
    Phass AT 28mm Alnico Tweeters

Boot Build:
    Removed: Spare wheel, toolkit/jack, factory sub-box, various bits of plastic trim and surrounds.
    Fabrication: full-boot sub-woofer enclosure, multi-tier/angle amplifier rack, one-piece fiberglass covering 'skin' and boot 'bonnet' piece to allow access to the amps.
    Added:

Split Charger System
    Yellow-top Optima battery with split charger system to isolate stereo equipment and prevent main battery drain.
    2 x Tru Technology T-2.100 amplifier
    1 x Tru Technology T-4.100 4-channel amplifier
    2 x R.E XXX series 10" subwoofer

Special Thanks:
    I'd like to give a huge thanks to Audio One for the masses of work they did to the car, and for coming up with some fantastic idea's. Also, another massive thanks to Emin from AAC Performance for fitting the dakota instrument panel and making everything blue to match!
    Attached Files

Some more pictures for you
    Attached Files

Comment

wow... and you used a mac mini

Your whole dash is amazingly modern and rather different to anything I've seen..

wow..
      Current Honda Accord Aero Deck install
      http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78717
      96' Laguna install
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45365

Comment

nice work, i really like the smoothness of the dash, interesting having all of the controls moved, do you think you will miss having the vents? What was done to the dash as filler?
        My Install

Software:
        CFiG v1
        iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
        Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
        StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

I like the supra but the dash inside them look like **** it just wrecks the car

But the dash in this doesn't look to bad

it looks likes it's missing something above the LCD tho feels like something should be there to fill the empty space maybe a Supra logo that glows blue or something
          CarPC Status:
          GPS: 99%
          Hardware: 99%
          Software: 92%
          Case Install: 99.9%
          Dash Install: 100%
          Car Install: 72%

Comment

OMG you bastard!!! seriously lush install mate.

Love that dash and it's so clean BUT i can't help think it looks too clean for my tastes. Jsut htink it needs a slot load and some buttons or something to make it more 3D like a sticky out bit above/round the sides of the screen to recess it a bit. But i suspeect it's because i am only looking at pics that don't do it justice and cos the steering wheel is missing in the 1st pic.

nice one, am a little jealous.

I swear i saw your install somewhere the other day.

Comment

Yeah I saw the post by Audio One on digital-car and here.... We were impressed then! Even more so to see more photos.

WELL DONE!! Excellent job!!!

Will we be seeing you at the UK Car PC meet!?!?!?!? Would love to see this in the flesh!
              Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
              Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Great work on your car !!

I love supras !!
                Here in Portugal we have great weather, lots of brunnets, party a lot,drink a lot....
                http://img138.echo.cx/img138/896/bannerjoshua5dy.jpg

Comment

christ thats nice
                  Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
                  Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
                  CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
                  http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

Wow, very nice, love the cover over the amp - puts me in mind of a Ferrari engine cover.

Dash looks so futuristic it almost looks like you're missing the flux capacitor from the install...
                    2000 Vauxhall Vectra SXi
                    EPIA M12000 / 256MB RAM
                    PW-120 + ITPS
                    Slot Loading CDRW/DVD
                    30GB 2.5in HD
                    Lilliput 7" VGA + Touchscreen
                    GPS Nav
                    Installation progress {+++++++} (Installed! :) )

Comment

Very nice. Can't say enough from the instrument panel which looks neat, the dash, and the trunk setup. just looks great.
                      Mark

Car'Puter Project
                      - Xenarc 700TSV
                      - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
                      - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
                      - M2-ATX
                      - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                      - Garmin 15H GPS
                      - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

Audio One posted this up on the ffoc site a few days ago and have to say I am blown away by the quality of the work!
                        =======================================
                        EPIA M10000, Kingston 256MB, 40G 2.5" HDD, 40G 3.5" HDD, LG slim CD/DVD,
                        Customised Cubid 2699R, Xenarc 7" moulded in dash, Opus 90w, bu-303

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                          Will we be seeing you at the UK Car PC meet!?!?!?!? Would love to see this in the flesh!
                          Paul @ Audio One called me about this earlier on - as it's just up the road from me it would be rude not to pop along!

Originally posted by alti
                          do you think you will miss having the vents? What was done to the dash as filler?
                          No, I absolutely hate having air blown into my face so they were always turned off anyway The Supra has a really cool AC system that has lots of other vents around, so I cant say i've noticed any difference whatsoever.

As for the filler, I have to plead ignorance on that one - Audio One are the people to speak to in that regard, i'm just a crazy customer

Originally posted by NiN^_^NiN
                          I like the supra but the dash inside them look like **** it just wrecks the car
                          My thoughts exactly, which was the primary motive for doing any of this. Desperately wanted to get rid of that 80's feel, and bring the interior up to date with the timeless exterior. It's funny, it's a 12 year old car, and IMHO looks lots and lots better than 99% of brand new cars out there.

I really appreciate all the nice comments people have made, sometimes (particularly on the internet) the green eyed monster comes out, but all the comments on this board have been constructive and I appreciate that!

Everytime I go into the garage I always catch myself thinking "cool, I own that!".

Comment

I thought i'd post a few of the exterior for you so you know what this install is in, as everyone else in this section seems to do it
                            Attached Files

Comment

:drool:

mmm supra

that is truly awesome
                              肚子笑痛了
                              S60 Install

Comment

Working...
                              X