1997 VW Jetta GLX - Carputer 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 VW Jetta GLX - Carputer 2.0

Finally got around to updating my old carputer hence the 2.0. My old system was just a box in my trunk installed back in 2002, which I wanted to make look a bit more factory and that lead to reinstalling and reworking pretty much the whole thing. Thanks to all who are here who post on the boards...you have been all the help in the world. Let me know what you think of my project and feel free to offer any advice any of you may have.
    1997 VW Jetta GLX VR6
    old HP MP
    PIII 600 or so 256 MB
    7" Xenarc
    and some plywood holding it all together
    My Project

Originally posted by Iatrogenic2
    Finally got around to updating my old carputer hence the 2.0. My old system was just a box in my trunk installed back in 2002, which I wanted to make look a bit more factory and that lead to reinstalling and reworking pretty much the whole thing. Thanks to all who are here who post on the boards...you have been all the help in the world. Let me know what you think of my project and feel free to offer any advice any of you may have.
    Now where's that THIS POST IS MEANINGLESS WITHOUT PICTURES! button?

....Yes, I know it has a stupid name, those crazy Japanese!

Comment

Here is the finished product...the PC in the trunk I'll also post some images of the steps I used to get here.
      Attached Files
      1997 VW Jetta GLX VR6
      old HP MP
      PIII 600 or so 256 MB
      7" Xenarc
      My Project

Comment

Behind door #1
        Attached Files
        1997 VW Jetta GLX VR6
        old HP MP
        PIII 600 or so 256 MB
        7" Xenarc
        My Project

Comment

Patience mp3ople carrier...first time posting pics and figuring it all out.
          1997 VW Jetta GLX VR6
          old HP MP
          PIII 600 or so 256 MB
          7" Xenarc
          My Project

Comment

The dash...note the relocate hvac controlls and the usb hub below them with my backup mouse and my tiny keyboard.
            Attached Files
            1997 VW Jetta GLX VR6
            old HP MP
            PIII 600 or so 256 MB
            7" Xenarc
            My Project

Comment

Here is where I located my GPS mouse on the roof after dipping it in goop and gluing it to a strong magnet.
              Attached Files
              1997 VW Jetta GLX VR6
              old HP MP
              PIII 600 or so 256 MB
              7" Xenarc
              My Project

Comment

Patience mp3ople carrier...first time posting pics and figuring it all out.

I like the re-use of the front of the pc case to neaten up the cd installation

Comment

Here is where I located my GPS mouse on the roof after dipping it in goop and gluing it to a strong magnet.
                  Have you taken the cable through the rear screen surround?

Comment

If you are asking about the GPS cable it is going around the side of my rear window (as seen in the picture) and then down through a rubber grommett where the trunk lid closes. I had to seal up where the cable ran through the grommett with some silicon caulk since I had to cut the hole a bit large to get the usb plug through it. I'll post some pics when I take them. I did it this way cuz I couldn't bare cutting a hole in my exterior.

"I like the re-use of the front of the pc case to neaten up the cd installation"

Thanks, made the install a lot easier. I ultimatly plan on putting a slot load drive in the dash under the LCD, but that will come when the $$$$$ does.
                    1997 VW Jetta GLX VR6
                    old HP MP
                    PIII 600 or so 256 MB
                    7" Xenarc
                    My Project

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it...

My girl just bought a VR6. Balsey car, nice features, heated leather seats etc. It is a fun car to drive. Maybe we'll do an install on it at some point...
                      2000 Acura Integra Type-R
                      Progress = 99% ---> Check it out:
                      http://www.matrixshark.com/carputer.htm

Comment

You've got a PM from me
                        Dave

Comment

I just purchased a Jetta TDI and wanted to say I really like your trunk setup. I like the hinged door with the front of a PC case a lot, and may borrow that idea. Have you noticed any problems with your horizontal mount hard drive? Because it is right over the rear wheel and mounted so rigidly I would think you would get scratched platters and a bricked drive?

Comment

Nice

i also own a 1997 Jetta GLX, and plan to install a carputer, i love where my a/c controls sit so i dont think i could move them like you have though. im thinking maybe a flip out screen. do you have the PC connected to the stereo??
                            Check out my 2000 VR6 Jetta

Comment

Working...
                            X