Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Mini powered ICE in BMW e46 with Steering Wheel Controls support

Hi All,

Thought I share this pic with you guys. I have a BMW e46, I've put a Mac Mini in my car, built a custom dash bezel to house the 7" touch screen. And I've developed the software to allow the BMW steering wheel controls to control your Mac volume, iTunes Track control, etc.

Auto dimmer when you turn on the car headlights too!

I've got more install pics at this site http://www.mobycar.com

Comments and suggestions to improve are welcome!

looks damn, nice. how did you set up the auto dimmer?
    Carputer Progress:
    [!!'-------] 25%
    have to fabricate screen mount

have to start over, lilliput died, 1st laptop broke, have to sell the 2nd one. damn

Comment

sweet thas one small pc :-P i wish it was win xp lol

Comment

How have you powered the ac adaptor up and what are you using for on/off switch it on / off

cheer

roger
        [SIZE=6]Join Date: Aug 2003
        Vehicle: 2004 320d Sport Touring
        HP-Epc, 512mb Ram, 250gb hd, Lilliput, GPS.
        [/SIZE]

Comment

I like it.. How much is the 'complete' install kit? Im not a big fan of the Bezel though, I think that it should be extended like this one below:

http://www.mybimmer.net/images/DSC02336.JPG

PM me the price for the whole kit (bezel/control software/steering wheel buttons/etc)

Thanks,
          Andrew

Comment

Its DC powered, I don't believe in using a AC inverter. It'll create too much electrical noise in the setup. On/off switch is tied to the ignition.

Originally I wanted to build the bezel all the way to the front, but that would mean the screen is rather deep in.... so i'll have trouble "clicking" on the corners and sides. Anyway the bezel is the least of the problem, we can always make another one.

Comment

nice install, what dc -dc regulator u using?

edit
              ====

forget it i checked your homepage
              CarPC Status:

Hardware: 100%
              Software: 100%
              Case Install: 100%
              Dash Install: 100%
              Car Install: 100%

crap factor: 100%

new carpc finished, thinking of way to mount HDD
              and not installed yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Piperclub
                Its DC powered, I don't believe in using a AC inverter. It'll create too much electrical noise in the setup. On/off switch is tied to the ignition.

Originally I wanted to build the bezel all the way to the front, but that would mean the screen is rather deep in.... so i'll have trouble "clicking" on the corners and sides. Anyway the bezel is the least of the problem, we can always make another one.
                So how much is the whole 'kit'? I also sent an eMail, but never got a reply.

Thanks,
                Andrew

Comment

What software do you use for GPS?

Comment

As I said on your other post: Sweet!

Question: how did you get the steering wheel control running? Youre site isn't too clear about that either.
                    -emdub
                    Martim
                    i3Team

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 in preparation to become a MacJeep.

http://www.i3team.com
                    http://macjeep.blogspot.com

Comment

i developed the software from scratch since there were no proper software for mac .... so user interface is in Flash .. .that'll give me the jazzy effects ... it will talk to a Java server that is running via XML.

i've had it running for about 4 weeks now... am moving on to the 5 week.... so far so GOOD!

Comment

Originally posted by Piperclub
                        i developed the software from scratch since there were no proper software for mac .... so user interface is in Flash .. .that'll give me the jazzy effects ... it will talk to a Java server that is running via XML.

i've had it running for about 4 weeks now... am moving on to the 5 week.... so far so GOOD!
                        YOU STILL HAVENT ANSWERED ANY OF MY QUESTIONS AS TO HOW MUCH IT IS!!

Comment

yea, I really wanted someone to do an interface in Flash, since OS X can't do tasty animations. I would gladly pay money to get that kind of software, assuming that the interface is flashy. Screw iDash, this is where its at.

Comment

One questtion regarding your setup: Auto dimmer - how did you do it?

Comment

Since BMW's have an in-car network, its fairly easy to determine the status of the headlights.

BTW, any way i can get ahold of the software to try it out

Comment

Working...
                              X