2003 Chevy Avalanche 98% done - 15 picts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Chevy Avalanche 98% done - 15 picts

I am still playing around with different front ends, and doing a little other stuff, but am getting close to finished up on this project which I have been working on just a little at a time.

First this is the vehicle I am working with:

NOW...

Here come a bunch of pictures of my console creation process:

I am a newbie trying to outfit a couple cars with new custom consoles and mini ITX. Click here for my 2003 Chevy Avalanche project.

Now more pictures (would not allow all in one post)

I am a newbie trying to outfit a couple cars with new custom consoles and mini ITX. Click here for my 2003 Chevy Avalanche project.

Comment

nice clean setup.. some handy work there with the moulding..
      CAR INFO HERE
      "He who dies with the most toys, wins".

Comment

Maybe I missed it, I was just skimming through...why didnt you just put the screen where the double-dim is? better for vision and it would look cleaner

Comment

Originally posted by Escalade182
          Maybe I missed it, I was just skimming through...why didnt you just put the screen where the double-diN is? better for vision and it would look cleaner
          Because I still want the stock in dash AM/FM/On* stereo. In addition to keep both rear seat control w/headphones and steering wheel controls you are looking at some not easy stuff. $400+ in modules and still no rear seat controls.

My wife sometimes does not like all the electronics when she drives, so she can ignore it all if she desires and just use the stock setup.

Comment

that's a real nice job done. congrats

Comment

looks pimp! but! if i were you i would have recessed it in sucha way that when u look down it looks right at you and not facing backwads kinda hard to explane but it would be about a 1.5 inch uptp and 1 inch on the bottom but right now that looks off tha chain!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget
                Because I still want the stock in dash AM/FM/On* stereo. In addition to keep both rear seat control w/headphones and steering wheel controls you are looking at some not easy stuff. $400+ in modules and still no rear seat controls.

My wife sometimes does not like all the electronics when she drives, so she can ignore it all if she desires and just use the stock setup.
                Well, yeah, but why couldn't you have just put the stock stereo where you monitor is right now and mount the screen where your radio is??

Nice install either way though...

Peace,

Rafster
                Post # 3000

Comment

Yeah, guess I could. Would have been fun to try and move the wires for that, and more chance to get pulled over by the cops. Most can't see in to view what is on the lower console right now. Maybe next time I will do the upper mount. I had ordered this lower bezel quite some time ago and figured this would be a quick and easy way to go.

Right now I have someone that wants to buy the bezel with screen, so maybe I will start over and try something else this time...

Comment

Originally posted by rafaelsherman
                    Well, yeah, but why couldn't you have just put the stock stereo where you monitor is right now and mount the screen where your radio is??

Nice install either way though...

Peace,

Rafster
                    Thats what I'm doing. Minus the stock stereo. I'm gonna put my dvd in instead. Except mine came with the bench so I don't even have the center console. I'd buy one but then there wouldnt be enough room for the feet of the person in the middle seat. So I'm gonna fab one that hugs the dash a little tighter.
                    2.4 celeron
                    150 watt OPUS
                    micro atx
                    xp pro
                    tv/radio tuner card
                    audigy
                    Dual monitor Radeon
                    802.11G Mimo
                    xm pcr
                    dvd
                    gps
                    8" Lilliput touch screen
                    IGuidance
                    dual optimas
                    battery isolator
                    15" screen
                    My Truck

Comment

and more chance to get pulled over by the cops
                      That's EXACTLY why I put my monitor in the center console rather than in the factory radio location. That and there's less glare in the console versus the dash. That and the GM dash angles the driver so the passenger wouldn't be able to see the monitor. So I guess there's a bunch of reasons why I didn't put my monitor up there, but the first one was because I didn't want everyone seeing it.

Great job on the fabrication! Looks really nice. Show us the CPU now!!
                      2008 Ford Expedition EL Ltd

Carputer yanked from the Jeep and Denali and waiting to be installed in the Ford.

Comment

very nice!!! Is your cpu hooked up to the stereo in any way or are you going without sound?

Comment

naw man cops dont say **** ive had cops look into my window and say it looks tight how much did it cost and stuff they alwayz drive behind me never been pulled over they ahve also seen me using it while driving still dont say n e thing :-D

Comment

Audio input via PAC AAI-GM24 allows 2 inputs and keeps all in the truck happy. I don't have the SWI-X interface (IR output from factory controls) so my rear radio buttons or steering wheel controls don't talk to my aux items now, but I could add that to control the computer via IR or any other items like if I decide to add a playstation or something. I have an IR serial interface for the computer, with volume, launch buttons, mouse emulation... just don't have it hooked up. I could mute the computer or launch applications without taking my hands off the wheel (and no aftermarket items are visible).

Rear seat or front passenger can watch (not legally) a dvd with the display in the center of the truck. They can all plug in headphones and watch the movie while I can use the stock CD changer or radio just like normal. (it shuts off rear speakers when headphones are plugged into factory rear control) I was also warned at one point that keeping the display low would help with glare, don't know how true that is.

Cops normally are pretty cool around here, but you never know. I normally don't have issues, but hate to give them another reason to hassle me. My front window tint is a bit dark, I don't want them to make me pull it off.

CPU pictures will have to follow. I only have 2.5" of height under rear seats (seats fold down for 8' truck bed which I use often) so the case had to be short. CPU will be shared with another car (shopping for newer honda accord now) but it can pop out quickly to drop into the honda trunk.

I think I will try and sell my drivers side sun visor:

My backup camera has been hooked up to that 5.8" screen for a couple years. I glued it in real well, so I can't pop screen out and put the mirror back in. Don't really need it now. Would have liked to move it over to the passenger visor, but too late now.

Comment

I am really glad you posted all of this - this is definitely giving me all kinds of ideas for my 03 Tahoe

keep the pictures coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X