2004 Chevy Impala Carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Chevy Impala Carputer

Hi everyone. I have been reading the forums here for quite a while now gathering ideas and putting everything together. It has been very helpful. Heres pics of the setup right now. Its about 80% complete.

Carputer specs:
    Compaq Deskpro EN SFF PC
    P3 1 ghz
    512 MB PC133
    80 gig HD
    7" Lilliput

This is the car:

Inside:

BU-303 GPS Mouse

Trunk setup

I will post pics of the actual carputer later once i tidy up the giant mess of cables behind the amplifier where the caputer sits.

It is looking good...I can't wait to get started on my install. You should really check out the "GM Double Din Bezel" thread in the Fabrication forum. A guy named Mark just made me a custom bezel to replace our radio. How are you interfacing with the stock radio?
    2005 Black Chevy Impala
    Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%

Comment

Originally posted by Shelbrain
      It is looking good...I can't wait to get started on my install. You should really check out the "GM Double Din Bezel" thread in the Fabrication forum. A guy named Mark just made me a custom bezel to replace our radio. How are you interfacing with the stock radio?
      Wow that double din bezel is nice, too bad its for Xenarc though. Right now i'm using a cassette adapter for audio, I had ordered one of these but the unit I received has some incompatibility for the '04 Impala, so I sent it back for a newer version of the same adapter which apparently works. Can't wait for it to get here because the cord hanging from the cassette deck is really annoying. For the subwoofer I am using a line level adapter attached to the rear speakers.

Comment

How does that sound? My radio says CD/AUX, but I haven't pulled it yet to see if an adaptor is needed or if that means it is built in. I have the base model Impala, not the LS or SS (so I highly doubt the AUX input is built in). I am also looking for one of those center consoles where the shifter is so I can modify it to put the PC in. My shifter is on the steering column. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pictures!
        2005 Black Chevy Impala

Comment

Arent you scared anyone tries to rip that mouse of your trunk?

Comment

I've got the same amp. Piece of **** fan is going out on it though. Haven't tried replacing it yet. It's only about 8 months old, so you may wanna check yours too when it starts gettin a little old.
            Tidder

Try RevFE
            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlekiller
              Arent you scared anyone tries to rip that mouse of your trunk?
              I'm not really worried about it. But I do plan on hiding it away somewhere so its not visible all the time.

Originally posted by Tidder
              I've got the same amp. Piece of **** fan is going out on it though. Haven't tried replacing it yet. It's only about 8 months old, so you may wanna check yours too when it starts gettin a little old.
              Thanks I will be sure to keep an eye on that.

Comment

How's that gooseneck mount working for you? Does it stay put? Does it get in the way of passengers?
                1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

Originally posted by dodgetimes2
                  How's that gooseneck mount working for you? Does it stay put? Does it get in the way of passengers?
                  The gooseneck works great. The neck is very stiff so there is barely any movement. Passengers don't lose any room as the mount is almost flush with he center console. Also the top of the mount has a swivel base where the lcd attaches to which makes it very easy to reposition the lcd if need be. The only problem with the gooseneck was that it is Clarion brand, and the slide mount on the back of the lilliput lcd didnt fit the gooseneck. A little bif of filing the gooseneck mount fixed everything up.

Comment

Looks like a good start you habe going there
                    Is this where the witty comment goes?
                    97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

Jlg

JLG

Got a question. I have a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix - which is also a W-body. It is my understanding that car goosenecks mount to the passanger seat bolt - but the problem with the Grand Prix's is that the front of the seat bracket is not bolted in, but HOOKED in (I'll try to get a picture).

DO the impala's do the same thing? Or do they actually mount to the slide used for the seat (rowing the seat back and forth)?

I got the carputer and am ready to buy the car stuff (Shutdown controller, tank circuit, new amp rack, Pyle Video Switcher, more power wire, new distribution block etc and 8" Lilliput screen).

Also - how long is that gooseneck? I am trying to get an idea of how high I should have the gooseneck (for astetics, theft issues and viewing angle).

Looks tight. I should have my install up by the end of the month or in early June.

-LAKORAI

Comment

This is very clean..

i like it. however given the size and position i can tell you that you don't really see much on it while driving. i am right, ain't i?
                        Welcome, cdm.
                        You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
                        Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

Originally posted by lakorai
                          JLG

Got a question. I have a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix - which is also a W-body. It is my understanding that car goosenecks mount to the passanger seat bolt - but the problem with the Grand Prix's is that the front of the seat bracket is not bolted in, but HOOKED in (I'll try to get a picture).

DO the impala's do the same thing? Or do they actually mount to the slide used for the seat (rowing the seat back and forth)?

-LAKORAI

I can confirm that the front of the Impala seats are just hooked in as I just removed my entire interior to sound deaden it. The back of the seats are bolted in. After you unbolt the back, it is a lot of wiggling to get the front hooks out.
                          2005 Black Chevy Impala

Comment

Here is how its mounted under the seat. Hope its of any help.

Also - how long is that gooseneck? I am trying to get an idea of how high I should have the gooseneck (for astetics, theft issues and viewing angle).
                            The gooseneck is 22"

Comment

Where did you purchase the gooseneck?
                              01 Metro LSI
                              79hp 41MPG Highway
                              Check my progress
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51295

Comment

Working...
                              X