Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap examples

Hey guys,

I've been looking through the projects list and I've come to realize that almost everything listed here is way out of my price range. I'm interested in seeing examples of setups that do not costs thousands of dollars. I seem to recall that in the early days of mp3car.com there was a feature to easily browse all types of mp3car's out there.

thx

C
    01 Metro LSI
    79hp 41MPG Highway
    Check my progress
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51295

if you want cheap you don't want a carpc ... get an mp3 player and an fm transmitter.
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

The key to cheap is knowing exactly how much you are willing to pay for each component, what quality you are willing to sacrifice, knowing how long you are willing to wait to get a good deal on those components, and knowing how much you can spend over alotted segments of time. Watch ebay, fatwallet, anandtech, and the classified forum here.

There is no one cheap way to do it...one suggestion would be to build an older computer, and wait for a deal on an inverter.

And what shakes said is true. This is a hobby and will eat your money..if you don't want to spend money, you should get an mp3 cd player installed in your car.
      1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
      PC built into console
      worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

yea i would have to say most people on here do it as a hobby

Comment

Mine will be inexpensive, but not cheap. After months of E-bay scouring I ipcked up a complete Mini ITX box with MII 1k, laptop 120gig, 512k ram and DVD-CDRW combo in a nice generic 4x10x12 case (with room for PCI) for $300. a simalrly equipped system is over $700 in MP3car.com store. Also a Xenarc 7000TS for $320...

My best advice is to decide what products you want, and the max you will pay, but It may take months to find that deal. Its not easy if youre impatent. I wanted a new, complete MII 1k system but I refused to pay a penny over $400.. and I got more than I bargained for.
          Is this where the witty comment goes?
          97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

I just finished my first big step for my install tonight (it's 2AM here in Montreal).

Up to now, that's the list of what I've bought:

Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR on eBay => 220$ CA (shipping included)
            M1-ATX power supply on eBay => 108$ CA (shipping incl)
            StreetWires distribution block on eBay => 30$ CA
            Innovatek VGA TouchScreen 7" from a friend => 180$ CA
            Somme wood => free
            Wiring and misc. hardware => approx. 50$ CA

For a grand total of 588$CA (approx 450$US)

Next things I'll add are GPS (I might buy Garmin GPS 15L for ~200$CA with antenna) and WiFi card (cheap pci one). I'll maybe add a small microphone to have speech recognition.
            Via Epia M10000 / 512 DDR / 10gigs 3.5 HD / M1-ATX / Innovatek 7" TS Screen
            Trunk fiberglassing in progress...
            Need GPS / Aux Input / WiFi

My Corolla Computer

Comment

Right. If you want to go uber cheap, be prepared for it to take months and be inconvenient. It can be done. Search on terms "System cost" or similar terms. There are several relatively recent threads where members discussed the cost of their systems.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth97
                Mine will be inexpensive, but not cheap. After months of E-bay scouring I ipcked up a complete Mini ITX box with MII 1k, laptop 120gig, 512k ram and DVD-CDRW combo in a nice generic 4x10x12 case (with room for PCI) for $300. a simalrly equipped system is over $700 in MP3car.com store. Also a Xenarc 7000TS for $320...

My best advice is to decide what products you want, and the max you will pay, but It may take months to find that deal. Its not easy if youre impatent. I wanted a new, complete MII 1k system but I refused to pay a penny over $400.. and I got more than I bargained for.
                they make 120 gig laptop drives????
                i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

Did you look at mine

1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL - not done yet, but close

yes, may be $800+ but thats with big amp and subs ect

but I only spent about $400 for just the computer stuff

the most cost is the LCD - desktop computers
                  and power inverters are cheap as are keyboards
                  and mice - If you looked real hard, you could get a
                  LCD monitor - maybe a small desktop LCD or old datalux
                  LCD that is around $50-75, then your all set - if you got
                  room, use a CRT in like in a van or RV

You can get desktops - p2 350mhz to p3 500mhz for $50
                  or so, if you shop around

Inverters at walmart are $35
                  Mice $10
                  keyboard $10 - $20+ for small ones

USB GPS units can be had for about $40-60 without software
                  and GPS software - does cost some $$$ but you could start out
                  with the $9 map software sold in truck stops - Rand McNally stuff,
                  last years software is often sold low - and it has some GPS support,
                  later on - when you tire of getting lost - like me - you will upgrade
                  to iGuidance for the USA or Destinator for Europe

And what shakes said is true. This is a hobby and will eat your money..if you don't want to spend money, you should get an mp3 cd player installed in your car
                  - what they said

Comment

Originally posted by EsKALad
                    they make 120 gig laptop drives????
                    Aparently so, as that is the Spec of the machine.I guess I will find out for certain when the box arrives.
                    Is this where the witty comment goes?
                    97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

My first carputer was cheap as free. It featured an old compaq mobo i had lying around with a celeron 460 processor. It was powered by power invertor and fm transmitter I both allready had. I built the "shutdown controller" myself and the controls were a hacked up joystick mapped to control winamp. Not very exciting but it was an "mp3car". You'll find pretty quickly though you want more. I soon added a touchscreen ($300) then gps ($100). The power wasnt stable enough so i switched to a new invertor ($70). Next i needed wifi and antenna ($50 and $10) followed by XM ($50 and change). Needed a slim drive up front i could put dvds into (rather than the old full drive in the trunk) ($80) and of course with all this new functionality i needed a processor that could actually play a vis without choking. That's when I bought an epia and moved everything into the dash (Mobo $130, Adapters plus $50, Power regulator $70, Bondo and more $40). Total cost... Free + $950. Can you make an mp3car for cheep, sure, can you pursue this hobby for the same price, not a chance.

- Cobelli

Comment

If I just wanted to play MP3's I would have got a MP3 player, I'm going play too but I'm not interested nor can I drop as much money into it as a lot of people on here. I like will1384's setup, I also picked up the same Datalux display, I'm not sure what the state of the inverter is but I'm interested to know how difficult it was to replace and how much of an improvement it made.
                        01 Metro LSI
                        79hp 41MPG Highway
                        Check my progress
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51295

Comment

Well, what sort of money are you looking to spend on a system. There's some that can be built for a couple hundred dollars if you already have a machine. Typically the touchscreen adds a big chunk of money on the cost. My first system used a cheap IR receiver and remote control, rather than touchscreen.
                          www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Why is this in the Show Off Your Project forum?
                            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

LOL... good question...
                              Unfortunately.. as much as I wanted to keep the cost of things around $850, I ended spending roughly $1200 without realizing it... I was buying parts here and there... week after months... then when I gathered everything and tabulated the total cost, I nearly passed out... I have to admit though, the real big expenses came from the Xenarc monitor and the Opus PSU (even when I got the latter on a quick MP3CarStore discount). The board was about 60, the damn CPU was about 90, then memory for about 50, the HDD for about 50, the case was about 40, the CD-ROM was about 30, and all other lil' odds and ends... keyboard, powermate, cables etc...
                              VER. 3.0- Check out below:
                              車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

Working...
                              X