My old Cavalier install - Ghetto!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My old Cavalier install - Ghetto!

I just found some pics on my digital camera card, thought I'd share them with you guys. This is my old 96 Cavalier install, I took these pics right before I got rid of the car. Never realized how dirty/ghetto this install was until I saw these pictures.

I'm sure going to put more work into the Focus than I did this!!!

My old car, parked outside.

The screen - Lilliput. It just sat there, resting on the rubber cup holder. Never moved around though, worked pretty good actually. you can see the tape thing I used as an input to the stereo. That is, until the stereo broke and stopped playing tapes!

Keyboard/mouse. Junk anyone?

The carputer in the trunk. Yes, it's tied to the top of the trunk to keep it from moving around. It's also tied to another place in the back, where you can't see.

The switch for power, which I could flip if I didn't want the carputer on for any reason.

Man, that's really just sad. I forgot how terrible it was until I pulled those pictures up. If I still had the car, I think I'd be too ashamed to post them here. I get a kick out of them now, though.

Here's where I'm at with the Focus screen, only I've sanded a whole bunch since then. It's turning out pretty nice actually.
    Zen Fat Loss

Nice pics. I don't know anyone that keep there first carputer after their done "tweaking" I remember mounting my first lilliput monitor with a dremel and super glue.
    Spent all my money on carputers now I have to work a real job.
    http://www.858graphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by 12Vsystems.com
      Nice pics. I don't know anyone that keep there first carputer after their done "tweaking" I remember mounting my first lilliput monitor with a dremel and super glue.
      Yeah, I know the feeling. I'm determined to spend a good deal of time on the Focus though. Even if it takes me three years to finish the thing, I want it to be perfect. I'm getting sick of this CD changer though...
      Zen Fat Loss

Comment

Hahaha, kinda like my current setup
        00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
        Newest install - my quickest ever
        My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
        My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

Ghetto!

as long as it runs nice!!
          VER. 3.0- Check out below:
          車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

here was my first carputer... stayed in the car almost a month before i finally decided to try and build it into the car.

once i finally built it in, it was fairly clean, and i still had 100% use of my trunk. pics here: http://gibson99.com/camry/95se/carputer/photos.htm

now that car's gone, and i think i turned the old hardware into a basic win9x box for mom to surf and check email with, since that's about all she does. no pics of the current project, since a picture of a bunch of parts sitting on a desk is boring.
            Previous: CamryAmp 1.0 - 95 Camry SE V6 Coupe (sold)
            Current: CamryAmp 2.0 - 98 Camry CE V6 5spd (still bench-testing)

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson99
              here was my first carputer... stayed in the car almost a month before i finally decided to try and build it into the car.

http://gibson99.com/camry/95se/carpu...puter-v001.jpg

once i finally built it in, it was fairly clean, and i still had 100% use of my trunk. pics here: http://gibson99.com/camry/95se/carputer/photos.htm

now that car's gone, and i think i turned the old hardware into a basic win9x box for mom to surf and check email with, since that's about all she does. no pics of the current project, since a picture of a bunch of parts sitting on a desk is boring.
              Ghetttoooooooooooo! (the old install, not the new one)
              Zen Fat Loss

Comment

Your new focus install looks like it's coming on nicely. I've recently completed my focus dash install and it came out ok. PM me if you want to compare notes...
                FociMan

Ford Focus Collection
                EPIA M10K / 512Kb / Creative Audigy NX USB
                8" touchscreen
                D-Link USB Radio
                USB GPS Mouse
                Bluetooth GPRS Web Connection
                Centrafuse Beta2 / MapMonkey

Comment

haha this is crazy. But i've tought about string myself...

i don't think there are many people who get it right the first time. I know i didn't. I went from a laptop, to a semi dumped in the rear thing to now.. which is still odd since i am against in car integration and can have the whole setup out in an hour (don't pay attention to the mounting holes left behind).
                  Welcome, cdm.
                  You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
                  Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

Working...
                  X