1991 EX500 Motorcycle with molded 7" Touch screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 EX500 Motorcycle with molded 7" Touch screen

I have just finished an install into a 1991 EX500.

Still waiting on the GPS receiver so I can use destinator.

Here is the full write up

Spent all my money on carputers now I have to work a real job.
    http://www.858graphics.com

Awesome, nicely done!

Comment

nice job. Hofefully it doesn't get rained on.

Comment

wow, nice idea!

Would need to be very waterproof here in belgium!

In fact I was thinking of doing the same thing on my crashed 2001 thundercat, but with a 4-5" non-touchscreen, just for rearview, rpm, speed, tripmeter etc, with 1 or 2 buttons on the handlebars... now I might be adding some buttons on the side of the screen for gps

Still waiting for a nano-itx, as it will be a streetfighter with not so much spare room...

Well done, nice project!
        List of front-ends/usefull apps
        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

P.S. Is the screen readable?

I would think it would need a backlight-upgrade?
          List of front-ends/usefull apps
          XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

Hey, I remember that bike

Nice job!
            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
            GammaControl v2.4
            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

all that money spent on a ninja 500!?

I guess that bike never sees the rain or gets washed hu?

man - there's one area where I can't stand to see stuff done, and that's motorcycles...

just ride the darn thing! you definately don't need a screen distracting you on a motorcycle, much less the music while you're in traffic!
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

lol

0l33l

that one pic of Mj in your avatar freaks me out! no! make it stop! no!!!!
                Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

man - there's one area where I can't stand to see stuff done, and that's motorcycles...

just ride the darn thing! you definately don't need a screen distracting you on a motorcycle, much less the music while you're in traffic!

lol no matter what you do there are always haters.

Music is not the main function for this computer but it is nice. GPS is what I really want to use and with Voice gudiance you can set the address before you leave and just listen to the prompts.

This was a beta test, we used a cheap motorcycle because we wanted to see how it would work. Our idea is to outfit motorcycles like this and then have them permantly connected to the net, they could then be tracked online and dispatch could upload the route information and the rider would have the voice guidance and the screen showing him where to go.

Here is LA traffic is a nightmare it can take 3 hours to go 20 miles. Bikes are able to lane split and can navigate traffic much faster the only problem is it's really difficult to get directions there is no way to unfold a map.

If a medical courier used this they would be able to courier urgent medical supplies around LA faster then any car or helicopter could.

Also the system acts as a security alarm tracking the bike if it was to be stolen.

We still have a lot to do. I ordered a military throat mic and I want to incorperate bluetooth so I can make and receive calls. I also want to add a couple camera's to the bike to reduce the blind spots and the need to turn and look behind the bike before changing lanes.

The screen is easy to see I haven't done the backlight upgrade but I would like to. I was careful when I was mounting it to have steply angled to reduce sunlight glare. I'm worried about the rain but I have sliconed around the screen. The computer is inside a plastic case and all the connector are siliconed in so I am confident water won't damage the PC.

0L33 - Might add navivoice to this later, if we have another so cal meet you got to have a working system to show off

Comment

Cameras on a motorcycle? Will it have a super wide plank on the rear to carry boxes piled 10' high? If a person has blind spots while riding a motorcycle, then maybe they shouldn't be riding.

Comment

Every motorcycle I have ever ridden had a blind spot. That's why you will see most experinced riders turn then head and glance back before doing lane changes or merging they don't want to reley on their mirror's 100%.

I was thinking of having at least two camera's setup on the bike. They should cover the blind spot. Don't know how I feel trusting a computer, wouldn't want to be on the road and find out there's a 1 second delay on the image.

Comment

Originally posted by DRWeside
                        Cameras on a motorcycle? Will it have a super wide plank on the rear to carry boxes piled 10' high? If a person has blind spots while riding a motorcycle, then maybe they shouldn't be riding.

everyone has a blind spot, even just standing still

it's the limits of your peripheral vision that is your blind spot on a motorcycle (and no - blaming a helmet is not an excuse, a properly fitted helmet will not block your peripheral vision)

experienced or not, a rider should ALWAYS turn to check before they change lanes, there could even be another motorcycle in the next lane that you couldn't see in your mirrors because of their placement

not to mention most sport bikes have mirrors that are about as useless as a donkey fart
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

ok, bad choice of words. I was just thinking that if you can't turn your head to see your blind spots, then you shouldn't be riding.

Comment

How do you tell how fast your going?

Comment

I really wanted to be able to have a digital speedo. We are working on a GPS tracking modules for our software and our programer made a little app that grabs the NEMA strings from the GPS and calculates your speed. GPS gets here tommorow so I will be testing to see how accurate it is. If it works well I will make a little speed graphic.

I think even if I install these camera's I'll still want to turn my head and make sure there's not another bike next to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X