Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TURBOCAD6>>>>The Origin...win 3.11/DOS....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TURBOCAD6>>>>The Origin...win 3.11/DOS....

O.K., so I just dug out a car off mine that I've had in storage for the last 9-10 years or so......

This car happens to be the very first car I have ever installed a computer in... back around 1994 or so....

I did alot of research back then & there wasn't very muchon the subject.... the internet has changed in the last 10 years, there was no mp3car.com,.....

the screen in the center console is a 10" tube monitor.... high tech at the time.... it used a sony trinitron tube & was 1024X768..... she was awsome.... cost me around $500 back then...it was designed as a "point of sale" monitor... & was attached to registers at some stores I guess... aren't our liliputs amasing... at least they seem that way to me after having to deal with the alternative...

I will be posting more pictures & description now.......
    Attached Files
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

this project was initiated by the fact that the car had a turbocharged 6 cyl grand national engine and it ran off an accel DFI... & I had to tune it with a laptop running dos at the track... building a computer into the car just seemed like the logical thing to do.... at the time mp3's weren't the real reason for me to install a pc....datta loggers & DFI tunning..... that's what started me....
    Attached Files

Comment

This is the hole that the computer sat in... right in the qurter panel. this car has a rollbar that was as tucked in as possible to not be so obvious...
      Attached Files

Comment

There was no usb back then..... my first design was a 486dx-4 w/win3.11 & I then swapped it out for a p100 & win95!!!!wow, win95 made this thing much more usefull than just a tunning aid...... from that time I was hooked..... I have never driven a car without a pc either installed...or being installed....don't think I ever will....
        Attached Files

Comment

I had a steel tilt nose job that I did on this car & the car was sitting on a new at the time frame from a 91 cadillac with abs brakes.... I went off on this car & the pc wasn't the real centerpiece, although it added a nice touch....
          Attached Files

Comment

the rims are long gone.. & through the years she's been raped of a few of her parts... but for the most part she's all there & I'm going to bring her back with todays technology...
            Attached Files

Comment

Awesome!! Great project for its time!!
              Spent so far: $1,755
              Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
              CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
              Don't mess with Texas.
              It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

the only way I could get a cd drive in the center console was to extend an ide cable from the motherboard to the center console...it took three trys to get something that worked half way good...
                Attached Files

Comment

this car was a real bad *** mother on the streets... I've beat'n everything from mustangs to vettes on the street..... this car was a lot off fun....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very nice car and project!

In the days, I bought a little IBM black and white CRT to put in my car, for the first project... never got to install it though.

How fast was/is the car and how much power does it have?
                    List of front-ends/usefull apps
                    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

I had to use a chopped down metal cpu case to fit it in the qtr... it was as compact as could be...even the isa risser cards were just fit around with the case.... I have it in my basement & I'll dig it out to show it.... I had to use a multiple serial board & it had a connector that branched out into a bunch of serial cables....looked like an octupus... configuring them was not anything close to "PLUG & PLAY"... man I love USB
                      Attached Files

Comment

the best recorded time was only a 12.80 or so... but after this car had a fully done 4.3 with around 700 horse.... the engine blew before she ever made it to the track for official times... but was calculated conservatively at a high 10 seconds, if not a LOW 11

that motor was fresh though... most of my use with this car was at around 450 hp.... she ran high 12's-low 13's all day long...... I used to drive her to the track... system bumpin'.... pull the slicks & jack outa the trunk..... go to race mode...... beat some of the trailered cars..... then drive out with the a/c pumping.... she was a lot of fun...

there were 4 12"s back there dual isobaric....... & a bunch of old school rockford's.... I still have most of the equiptment... at least the rockford amps... the sub's are long gone....
                        Attached Files

Comment

I had a character LCD in the overhead console... it lit up green vacum floresent & matched the 91 dash instramentation perfectly....

the car is an 83 coupe with a 91 body conversion all the way, meaning everything from the frame up was 91.... the complete dashboard with the 91 climate control... there is A LOT more here than is imediately obvious....

this car was a real shocker in person back then.... it's not the first custom I done, but was one of the more radical ones.... she remains my favorite.... the only car I know I will never sell.... My username is even this car.... now I just did a barter deal with a mechanic friend of mine who needs his car painted... he provides a new grand national drivetrain & I restore one of his 87 grand national's....

well....the engine is in....IT LIVES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now to finish her off right this time........ I've learned a lot since I built her & she'll really benifit from that this time around...... I want to make it a show car at this point.... I'll drive her around on the streets like I did back then too....

This car was my DAILY DRIVER back then..... I went everywhere with her..... I shot up & down the jersey shore.... make it to racenight at englishtown wendsdays & fridays....... this car was fast... I mean REALLY fast on the street....... I used to be a sicker driver back then....,this car has MANY storys attached to it.... it's not the only fast car I ever had, but I drove her for the better part of 5 years....
                          Attached Files

Comment

turbo. One word WOW. I'd really like to drive this beast once it comes along., and feel that i'd like to contribute to it's "rebirth" If there is anything i can do, please let me know...

WOW again...

Comment

goddamn that would be the pimpest project car if i were u id throw some cash into that and hook it up big time

Comment

Working...
                              X