1994 Camaro 3.4L "Red Alert" CarPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Camaro 3.4L "Red Alert" CarPC

Well, it's about 95% finished. I'm just waiting for the Opus 150w powersupply to come, should be here Monday. Right now I'm just using some cheap invertor to power a regular ATX power supply.

Some specs:
    Via Epia ME6000 Motherboard 600mhz
    256MB Memory
    20gb HDD
    Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
    USB Wireless Adapter
    Earthmate GPS Mouse
    iGuidance
    Road Runner
    Winamp

The installed pics:

For more of the in-progress pictures (just showing me molding the screen into the bezel) check out: http://carpc.meissenation.com/
    CarPC v3 - 6/4/2008 - Project Showoff Thread
    CarPC v2 - Project Showoff Thread
    Michigan FBody Association - Administrator and Owner

Not one comment yet? Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

I cant say its not nice because I like every camaro, So im biased. ITS NICE

Comment

Originally posted by meissenation
        Not one comment yet? Bueller? Bueller?
        People are following this saying: "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all".
        PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
        GammaControl v2.4
        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I just like textured flat black better than shiny and smooth.

Comment

i like the install gj, did u polish the dashboard? caz that adds a nic elook to it =]

Comment

Thanks, the interior is painted gloss black, but I plan to get rid of the texture throughout the interior as I personally can't stand the texture.

Constructive criticism is welcome too, as this was obviously my first install so I just tried what I could.

Comment

Personally, I think u had the right idea, but it needs to be cleaned up...
                It just doesn't look right, sorry... The monitor doesn't seem to be blending in too well with everything else... and you can see parts where it's cut and chopped... and parts where the paint job is not matching.. etc..
                Still needs work...
                VER. 3.0- Check out below:
                車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

Thanks for the notes, I'll definitely try tackling some of those. The chopped part, I'm guessing you're talking about the panel to the left of the bezel where it's a ragged edge? That was from a previous 10.5" touchscreen bezel, had to dremel the edge to get it fit, but I do plan to replace that panel and then it'll line up correctly. I think most of the paint mismatching and what not is more just from the flash than anything, as in person it matches pretty good.

Comment

Does the screen position bother you?

I like the 3gen background

Comment

Is that carbon fiber? In a domestic?

Nice setup, but it definitely needs to be cleaned up. I see wires, are you missing a piece of your dash or center console now?

Comment

I should've explained exactly what was going on, my bad. All I did was install it for a test fit, and then powered it up using a 12v inverter that I had lying around the house and used a regular ATX powersupply. The Opus that I bought seems to be defective, so I'm going to have to return it. That's why in some of the pics, wires are hanging down and such, it's not the 100% final install and all tidy and hidden yet. My car is a 94, but I have a 98+ center console, which has a smaller cubby hole and doesn't go as high, so there was a large gap between the radio bezel and the center console, so I was trying my best to fill the gap while still leaving it open for airflow due to the motherboard being on the bottom of the bezel.
                        Here's how it used to look, with a snow hat thrown in the gap to hide as much of the wires as possible.

The screen's position actually works excellent in the car, only bad part is that the camera won't take any decent pictures from the driver's seat without showing glare that isn't there except when I take pics lol. So far, even with direct sun beating on the screen, I can still make out everything fine. Also, it's perfect height because I can rest my wrist on the shifter, and then control the touchscreen.

And lastly, yes, that's carbon fiber.. in a domestic. I love the look of carbon fiber, and wrapped the pieces in it and did the resin and all that myself. I'm no professional, but I'm not afraid to try things out, even if it takes a few tries to get it looking great. Likewise, this screen is just the first version, I literally did it all in one week because I was so anxious to just get it in the car. I was already planning on the 2nd version of the bezel to integrate everything better, started planning before I was even finished with the first, but I had a car show and just wanted to get it in and running for that. Went over well there, though, even had a handful of people ask me to make them a carPC now.

Comment

So true. Taking pictures with a flash shows every fingerprint and lots of reflection because the light is bouncing directly off the surface. But it would look normal if we all had a bright light taped to our heads. Sunlight and no flash works much better.

Comment

Yeah, when I get the new panel replacement and I get the opus installed and running, then I'll be taking daylight pics and stuff, these were all in-garage.

Comment

Nice work!
                              I am hoping to do something similar to my 93 Camaro. It's good to hear that the screen is still readable in direct sun, I was not sure it it would be readable there and so I considered installing the screen elsewhere, not sure where yet though. Keep us posted as everything progresses.
                              "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. That is why engineers sometimes smell really badly."

Project Progress: |-----------| 1%
                              Planning and saving

Comment

Working...
                              X