1999 Buick Century Custom 4-Door

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Buick Century Custom 4-Door

I finally finished my secret project! I mounted this in my car using a 7Ē Xenarc computer monitor w/touch screen in a special GM mount into the dash. Itís powered by a Travla C134 case using an M1-ATX power supply and a VIA SP13000 motherboard with 512MB of DDR400 very low profile memory. The optical drive is a slot loading DVD (dual layer) burner and the 80GB SATA 5400 rpm notebook hard drive. Iíve got USB BT 2.0 dongle in the back running Widcommís 4.1 stack (read high-quality audio profile) and D-link USB 802.11G w/turbo mode (I have a D-link router) and get 108Mbps in my garage.

I removed the stock ashtray and it's a perfect fit (7" wide). I haven't tried to move it further back yet until I get all the wires tucked in and away.

Now, I just need to clean and vacuum my car! Good thing the McDonaldís wrappers arenít showing! J

Diane~

Wow, that looks great - love that bezel thing you got going there
    In da club....

ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Bunny's first poo
    __ U

Comment

I was curious to see how it looked before , So I went on google and looked for a stock dash photo. That car is perfect for a toucscreen!
      Attached Files

Comment

Did you notice the ashtray below? I removed it and inserted the Travla C134 case in the same slot. It fits really nice and is really held in by the pressure on the sides.

Comment

Looks real nice - It came out perfectly -
          If I may suggest, I'm not sure of what's holding the case into place, but you might wanna make sure it's secure - maybe add some strong brackets?
          Also, your idea of pushing it further back into the dash shouldn't be taken lightly, so try to do what you can to make that happen so it sits a lil' more flush... The reason behind my suggestions? Security and Safety...
          Been a victim... Besides that - A++ setup!!
          VER. 3.0- Check out below:
          車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

Very nice setup! came out looking stock exept for the pc itself but still its very nice

Comment

Wow!!! How does MCE run on the Via?

@BIzFlawless: do you have the full version of your avatar?

Peace,

Rafster
              Post # 3000

Comment

@Rafster: No

Comment

Media Center 2005 runs quite well on the VIA SP13000. I also have 512mb of DDR400 memory, which I'm sure helps it out a lot!

Originally posted by Rafster
                  Wow!!! How does MCE run on the Via?

@BIzFlawless: do you have the full version of your avatar?

Peace,

Rafster

Comment

Nice install, that 'double din' screen enclosure looks rather good.
                    EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                    Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                    XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

Lotta press about this install?
                      http://www.foursprung.com/2005/11/fo...ter-pc-in.html
                      http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/wi...ion-139862.php

Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but sheesh...
                      My install log
                      My "selling entire system" thread

Comment

Word. I just saw this on gizmodo and one of the comments linked here. Why is this such a big deal?

-arebelspy
                        See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
                        Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
                        i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

Nice work, DDumas! I'm thinking using the same components as you to make my own carputer. Your write-up has answered almost all my questions. I read in the Travla C134 FAQ (http://www.travla.com/FAQ/faq-134.html) that the low profile heat sink is required if you want to use the an optical drive. I'd like to know where you got your heat sink. Did it come with the motherboard, the case, or did you buy a barebones system (board and case)? Where did you buy them? Thanks in advance!
                          I got a fever...and...the only perscription...is more cowbell!
                          -"The" Bruce Dickenson

Comment

Thank you! I ordered the parts seperately and built it from scratch. Something I wish not to do again. Trying to get an SATA drive in that box required special connectors. The extra heat sink came with the motherboard. Oh, and there's a trick to removing the old one. You can forget about good instructions. My advice, order it built by caseoutlet.com. They seem to have good connections with Travla.

Comment

Buick mount?

I LOVE the job you have done! I just wanted to know if you still have the setup, and how its worked for you over the last year?

I have a 98 Century Custom which I had thought looked like it was perfect for a computer screen of some kind, and then I found your message and pics here on this site. I am very eager to consider setting aside parts and getting a similar setup for myself. I was just having trouble locating the mount, the link in your post must not work after a year Also, when you say "reasonably priced" did this setup cost a few hundred bucks, less than a thousand, etc? (if you don't mind me asking).

Thanks again and great job!

Comment

Working...
                              X