Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 Honda Civic Carputer - 90% Done (still needs a little bit of finesse)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Honda Civic Carputer - 90% Done (still needs a little bit of finesse)

-the car

-The screen is a Xenarc 7" 700tsv.

-Running Windows XP Pro, Firefox as the browser, Road Runner as the front end.

-Still need to bondo the edges around the faceplate (soldered an extension for it so that the headunit sits behind the screen and the faceplate sits where you see it.)

-Earthmate LT-20 - windows are tinted now, still works great! I am using it with iGuidance.

-power button and dlink wireless-g adapter.

-This is the only picture i have of the laptop, its a:

Dell D610
    2.0 ghz Pentium M
    512mb ram
    40gb HD (might upgrade this later, i doubt i'll be able to fill the 40gb though)
    removed the screen (wouldn't be using it anyways)

-The laptop stays behind the drivers side seat. I unzipped the seat, and put the laptop in there, haven't experienced any problems with it overheating or getting too cold in the winter. Once the seat is in it's place, all the wiring is tucked in, you don't see any of it.

-I also (not pictured) have a Playstation 2 Logitech USB Keyboard that I use when ever I need it (rarely).

-To charge the laptop I am using a regular Power Inverter, it turns on with the car and turns off with the car, when the car is off the laptop runs off of the battery which lasts around 4-5hrs (so it's pretty good for me to keep it on while shopping or if I'm going to be away from the car for a couple of minutes.)

Any comments, advice, etc. I'm still not done. I plan to paint the GPS Receiver to black (ugly yellow). Also want to put a DVD/CDRW drive somewhere, just not sure where. YES, I know my car is dirty, lol

I actually think your screen install looks more OEM, aside from the buttons on the bottom. If you look at all the screens on Hondas/Acuras, most of the newer models with NAV systems, the screen sits flush just like it does with yours. Mine however, sits embedded into the dash more. Its also cool that you were able to still keep your HU. Thats a damn good idea about getting one with a detachable faceplate and then just remounting the faceplate. Looks like you planned it out well.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Civiputer: Dont have one anymore, but here is what is used to be!

Comment

this set up realy intrests me, i have a laptop with a busted screen iv been wanting to do somthing with. looks sweet

Comment

nice job. how did you wire up the inverter?

Comment

hey nice civic, what steering wheel is that ? jdm type r? and does the airbag work? thx

Comment

yea im wondering about that wheel also..

Comment

wired up the screen and inverter to the cig. lighter plug, people say its not recommended, but i haven't had any problems with it since last august...

steering wheel is from a 2004 civic Si. just has a red sticker for the H. it's plug and play and airbag works.

here's more updated shots, i relocated my GPS to the front, also put my wifi g above where my rear view mirror is, i dont have pics of that.

Comment

Way to take pictures of the GPS while driving!! You post this while driving also? =p

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow-Snow
                  Way to take pictures of the GPS while driving!! You post this while driving also? =p
                  Do you use your car computer when you drive??? stop asking dumb questions.

Comment

hhaha i think someone does post on the forum while driving

Comment

doesn't take much skill to snap a picture while driving...

Comment

hehe i was just messing.. um no m3 mirrors? Other then that.. slick car! What type of rims are those?

Comment

nice car, clean install
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v52/du3ce/siggy.jpg
                          My car Pics

Comment

hehe i was just messing.. um no m3 mirrors? Other then that.. slick car! What type of rims are those?
                            no, no rice here...

wheels are 18" arospeed rs-gt wrapped in 225/40-18

Comment

looks good. You should post this on the www.7thgencivic.com forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X