Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 Volvo S60R - "Popup" carputer - completed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Volvo S60R - "Popup" carputer - completed!

Alright all, my volvo car computer is finally completed.

The system consists of a VIA/EPIA M1000 based computer running a very slim version of Windows XP. I am piping the audio through the stock HU803 headunit using an AUX adapter (made by USASpec). For video, I'm using a 7" Tview touchscreen mounted in the stock navi display's location. The screen operates the same way the stock one does, "popping up" from under the dash however I currently have to "pull up" the monitor manually but this is good enough for me (for now! In the future I might go back to the idea of using a servo winch or something). Some other info on the system: 60 GB HD, 512 MB RAM, XM satellite radio via the computer (XM direct w/homemade cable), 4-port USB 2.0 hub linking up a Targus USB DVD rom, bluetooth dongle and touchscreen, ATI RF remote (2nd control means), BU-353 GPS.
    Software includes Roadrunner for the front end, Iguidance and a simple homebrewed mp3 updater/synchronizer.

Here are some shots of my progress and completed install:

This is the location of the screen "popping up" that I'm talking about:

Here's the stock navi version center channel grill which I modified a bit to get the screen to fit:

Here's a shot of the computer and XM direct unit:

Here's a pic of the stock cd changer bracket which holds the cpu in place in the trunk:

Here's some shots of the screen being fit into the grill:

Some completed/installed pics:

The computer mounted in the trunk behind some access panels so its hidden from plain view when you open the trunk:

Closeup of the Tview:

Very slick install.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

good lord dude, that is beautiful!!! props to you!!!
      - sh00k
      Duct tape and a Bandana for the win, b!shes!!!

My Setup:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73500

Cost so far: Less than a grand ;]

Comment

Hrm, you might have just changed my plan of attack.

Comment

dont wanna rag on u, 'cause that looks damn good..

..but isnt reaching it to change songs and whatever kind of annoying, since its so far up the dash?

Comment

Originally posted by FC3S
            dont wanna rag on u, 'cause that looks damn good..

..but isnt reaching it to change songs and whatever kind of annoying, since its so far up the dash?
            Well, to reach the screen I just have to "sit up" alittle farther in my seat but if I had to touch the screen everytime I wanted to change a song or browse for music, yeah it would be a pain. But, I'm usually doing these "most used" functions with my RF remote. Things like browsing music, next/prev track, ffwd/rwd, switch between mp3/xm/gps/video etc. are all done with my remote. I'm mainly using the touch for typing in addresses for GPS, updating my music/video library and for some other things. I've really gotten used to the remote thing since in my previous install, that was all I had. (At the time, was I using the stock navi screen in my Acura CL).

Thanks for all the props people!

Comment

mmm... I like the Volvo "R" edition.

All wheel drive turbo. Call me single minded.

Comment

two propertly mounted power antennas hooked up to your factory radio= your solution for the monitor popping up.
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
                  two propertly mounted power antennas hooked up to your factory radio= your solution for the monitor popping up.
                  Yes, this is a great idea but....one problem. I have about 6 3/4 inches (maybe alittle more) of depth from the top of the grill to some huge metal bar under the dash there. Is this enough room for the antenna idea?

Comment

ahhhh, remote

see, the things you dont think of, when you havent sat in a car in over a month.., let alone i've never owned a car stereo with a remote either, lol

Comment

depends on how much room you have width-wise to fit the actuator. you can chop the actual antenna to whatever height ya want. Your only issue would be fitting the actuator in the hole and out of the way of the monitor when it comes down. Should be doable tho i've seen it work in amazingly small openings
                      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02
                        depends on how much room you have width-wise to fit the actuator. you can chop the actual antenna to whatever height ya want. Your only issue would be fitting the actuator in the hole and out of the way of the monitor when it comes down. Should be doable tho i've seen it work in amazingly small openings
                        yeah I'm not really worried about the actual length of the antenna, its more the size of the actuator I guess. I haven't seen any small sized power antennas...anyone know of any?

Comment

Hi, I must say very nice install. I wonder if you could post some pictures of screen closed. And one question, is the screen bright enough or do you have any problems with sun?

Comment

Originally posted by stric
                            Hi, I must say very nice install. I wonder if you could post some pictures of screen closed. And one question, is the screen bright enough or do you have any problems with sun?
                            I'll see what I can do about the picture of the screen closed. About the sun...its really interesting because I really though I would have major issues with glare and the sun but I really don't. The screen is obviously not as bright in daylight but because its tilted forward abit, I think it helps out alot.

Comment

Looking good!!! Congrats on your install, it's a great feeling when an idea materializes.

That antenna motor thing is a good idea.
                              2001 Acura CL traded for a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT
                              7" Lilliput Touchscreen
                              NANO-ITX+m1-atx
                              512 DDRsodimm
                              60g SATA Laptop HD
                              4x Apple DVDslot
                              digimoto OBDii
                              mS GPS
                              mini BT keyboard
                              relocated HU faceplate

Comment

Working...