2003 Impreza WRX - my first CarPC install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Impreza WRX - my first CarPC install

OK guys, its my first experience so its not perfect. I'm going to change somethings but in general my project is working

First of all new 10 mm2 power wire for the PC and amplifier:
    Attached Files
    On my way to the new carputer install... again :)...

I made plexiglas box for the PC. It has a slot for DVD drive just in case. But DVD at the moment installed at the bottom of the dash... The PC also has a 4 pin "control" connector (amplifier remote control, ignition input and 12v output tp the monitor), 4 extra USB (bought in a local computer shop), power/shutdown button and leds...
    Attached Files

Comment

more PC pics...
      Attached Files

Comment

creation of an oem-look dash:
        Attached Files

Comment

more:
          Attached Files

Comment

I did vibration and noise insulation in the doors and vibration insulation only in the trunk. New speakers were installed into the doors instead of the stock ones. As for the subwoofer I did a free-air install. The sub, crossovers, amp and so on were mounted at the self-made construction which takes only a little space from a tiny impreza's trunk...
            Attached Files

Comment

At the moment I don't like the install of DVD because it doesn't look clean at all I'm going to change it because... frankly speaking it sucks at the moment. Box with PC is sitting under the passanger's seat. and here's Road Runner in car:
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice work TherealV!

I have a WRX too (2006) and am putting together a carputer for it. I was wondering if you've thought about something like this....

You know the DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) the STi comes with? It's a little adjustable mouse-wheel like knob near the handbrake that allows you to adjust the front/rear wheel torque bias. Here's a pic:

Well... I was wondering if it's possible to use it to adjust the carputer's volume?? (or some other analog function) I bet you could probably just buy the switch from the Subaru parts department and stick it in one of the many empty spots in the standard WRX's dash. Wouldn't that be slick? I would just have no idea how to wire it up, or if it's even possible.

You could even use the on/off buttons like the fog light button for descrete actions, like turning you carputer on and off, or reseting it, or instantly muting it.

Whata ya think?

Comment

that is one cool compute case. Nice install/

Comment

Originally posted by Podaman
                    Nice work TherealV!

I have a WRX too (2006) and am putting together a carputer for it. I was wondering if you've thought about something like this....

You know the DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) the STi comes with? It's a little adjustable mouse-wheel like knob near the handbrake that allows you to adjust the front/rear wheel torque bias. Here's a pic:

Well... I was wondering if it's possible to use it to adjust the carputer's volume?? (or some other analog function) I bet you could probably just buy the switch from the Subaru parts department and stick it in one of the many empty spots in the standard WRX's dash. Wouldn't that be slick? I would just have no idea how to wire it up, or if it's even possible.

You could even use the on/off buttons like the fog light button for descrete actions, like turning you carputer on and off, or reseting it, or instantly muting it.

Whata ya think?
                    Actually yes, its not comfortable to adjust volume level using the touchscreen's knobs. I'd even say its not safe to do that while you are driving because it takes your attention. Those original subaru knobs will be oem-looking but I think absolutely the best solution will be remote control on the steering wheel. I'm going to upgrade my project with such a device.

Comment

That screen looks nice in there, but that dvd drive needs to be moved. The cup holder above the screen is just begging to be modified to fit it in. I have know idea if it would be wide enough or if you would have clearence in the back, but that would be slick.
                      My 95' Saturn Project

Comment

Originally posted by techyguru
                        That screen looks nice in there, but that dvd drive needs to be moved. The cup holder above the screen is just begging to be modified to fit it in. I have know idea if it would be wide enough or if you would have clearence in the back, but that would be slick.
                        yes, that was the first place for the DVD I was thinking about. Its like 1 inch wider than my DVD and it's height is also perfect to fit it. But at the other hand I didn't want to lose cup holder. I travel by the car with my wife quite often so if I remove that cup holder we will have only 1 place for the bottles left. I don't wanna fight with her for this place Since we both don't smoke I decived to remove an ashtray to get a place for DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by TherealV
                          yes, that was the first place for the DVD I was thinking about. Its like 1 inch wider than my DVD and it's height is also perfect to fit it. But at the other hand I didn't want to lose cup holder. I travel by the car with my wife quite often so if I remove that cup holder we will have only 1 place for the bottles left. I don't wanna fight with her for this place Since we both don't smoke I decived to remove an ashtray to get a place for DVD.
                          Is there any reason that you couldn't mount the DVD slot vertically along the screen on the right or left side, or will it not work that way??

Buddy

Comment

Looks great.
                            FKA psptibby

Comment

Originally posted by buddy
                              Is there any reason that you couldn't mount the DVD slot vertically along the screen on the right or left side, or will it not work that way??

Buddy
                              not sure if it will work or not... actually I didn't see examples of such an install so I never thought about that... I've tried to use it in vertical position because I was thinking to place dvd in the box between the seats so disks were supposed to come out through the top... it worked just fine...

Comment

Working...
                              X