1992 Nissan NX on tight budget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Nissan NX on tight budget

So I've been getting ideas and such for the last month but haven't posted much at all. I was going to wait until the car was painted and all before posting pics, but I figure I can update later on the car and the pc. Here's what I've got for right now:

1992 Nissan NX1600 w/automatic trans ebay intake and exhaust Enkei 16" rims. Rust belt survivor!!

-POS AMD athlon 950 in atx tower welded (yes welded) to an L-bracket
    -512MB ram
    -80GB hard drive
    -Ebay wireless card with external antenna on order
    -Vector reman 700W power inverter ($45, gotta love ebay)
    -Provision 8" touchscreen 800x600 native no dead pixels or anything!!
    -600W bazooka liquid cooled subwoofer and amp (high end junk)
    -Running Centrafuse

I wired two switches into the shifter console for powering up the inverter and turning on the computer. The screen is removable in seconds via velcro and the stock mounting arm so I can throw it under the seat. I would have loved to mould it right into the dash, but in my neighborhood I'm positive it would have been stolen. Even with the crappy processor it only takes about 28 seconds to come out of hibernate. Basically it's running before i'm to the end of my street. The install is definately not professional looking and the case mounting should generate a few laughs, but all said and done I figure there's about $250 invested, considering the pc was a free hand-me-down. BTW, i highly recommend the "Provision" screen, it has been flawless and is really sharp.

'92 Nissan NX rusty but trusty w/handmedown ATX tower in trunk...Unimpressive but highly functional
    - Duron 950
    - 512MB RAM
    - 80GB
    - Centrafuse
    - 802.11g w/external antenna
    - 8" Provision touchscreen

damn, digital gauges, lol

nice

Comment

Nice setup there. Car could do with a new lick of paint and a bit of a clean on the inside. Maybe a bit of new carpet on the floor. Keep up the good work.
      CAR INFO HERE
      "He who dies with the most toys, wins".

Comment

that car would make a great fixer-upper
        id be happy to help with any photoshop related things.

Comment

any car makes a great fixer upper imo

but nissans, man, you can run them into the ground and they keep going

Comment

please, please, please, for the sake of all that is safe, tell me this isn't the power wire for your amp?

PLEASE run that through the fire wall, through a grommet and under the carpet to the back.

you've gone through this much trouble to get your PC installed and working the way you want, why not do it justice!
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
              please, please, please, for the sake of all that is safe, tell me this isn't the power wire for your amp?

PLEASE run that through the fire wall, through a grommet and under the carpet to the back.

you've gone through this much trouble to get your PC installed and working the way you want, why not do it justice!

I thought the same thing, but I am convinced that is something temporary.
              f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow
              ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 80% progress (sold)

Comment

I hope so!
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Didn't bother to vaccuum it a little before posting it on the web?!?!

Good so far, and I too hope that red wire is a temporary...
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

oh, it'll be temporary while the wire is like that

since it'll get cut through sooner or later :P

Comment

At least we will know when it does get cut through... sparks, flames, and my favourite, screams of "omfg".
                      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Yeah definately is not permenant. In western NY it gets pretty cold during the winter so I want to be able to remove the whole thing. The sloppy *** power lead coming thru the rocker cover is for the subwoofer, which has been there for a while. I ran the inverter wire thru the console and firewall. They are both 8ga. and both fused at 30 amps. Trust me I don't want a fire. I could have vacuumed but the shots were taken hastily at my parents house with my dads Canon. I still need to tie everything up neatly, still far from done.
                        '92 Nissan NX rusty but trusty w/handmedown ATX tower in trunk...Unimpressive but highly functional
                        - Duron 950
                        - 512MB RAM
                        - 80GB
                        - Centrafuse

Comment

Originally posted by FC3S
                          but nissans, man, you can run them into the ground and they keep going
                          That's definately the plan. There's a lot of bondo in those rockers trust me. 135k mi.
                          - Duron 950
                          - 512MB RAM
                          - 80GB
                          - Centrafuse

Comment

hah, my old '91 240sx had 230k km on it, ran perfect

and i drove that car HARD

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster
                              At least we will know when it does get cut through... sparks, flames, and my favourite, screams of "omfg".
                              I watched a wire (which was poorly routed, I must admit) get pinched in a door hinge, short to the chassis, and weld itself to the door once.

I also watched a (poorly routed and poorly secured) fog light power wire short out and melt, then burn, 24" or so of insulation off and fill a locked car with smoke before I realized what was going on.

So, after careful inspection, retrospection, and introspection, I've learned to take the time to properly secure my wiring. It really IS worth the extra time it takes...one of the forum members has a sig that reads something like "if you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to have time to fix it?" I find that to be more and more relevant as I get older. :-)

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Working...
                              X