Zyll's RX8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zyll's RX8

I've just about wrapped up the install for my RX8, and thought others might be interested in another way to mount the screen.

I didn't want to spend the $$$ to get a factory nav enclosure and modify it, and didn't like the "shelf mount" alternative in that location. I ended up building a mount that extends through a plug to the right of the head unit.

The computer is a laptop machine mounted under the passenger seat. A USB connection goes to a USB hub in the dash, which connects the touchscreen, USB audio, and GPS receiver (centrally mounted under the plastic where the factory nav would have gone. I built a custom power controller that gives me a delayed shutdown so that the machine can sync when I pull into the garage but won't take a chance that the machine stays on and kills the battery. The audio is feeds the factory BOSE system using the AUXMOD.

The system is running RoadRunner, and I still have some work to do on the skin. I'm hoping that Guino comes up with a super RX8 skin that I can eventually use

Zyll
    Attached Files

hey there!

looks really nice! do you think you can provide some really good close ups of the mount you used for the screen? I'm going to have to mount my screen in some mechanism like that.
    -

Comment

looks good, well now you are officially addicted, and i can't wait for a REAL install

Yev
      R. T. F. M

Comment

i like the mount. i am planning on doing something similar since I dont want to replace all my factory stereo stuff just to put an lcd in the dash.
        My Site: http://www.reinerweb.us
        My Car : http://members.cardomain.com/reiner15

Car Computer Alias - TekPC
        Current Progress - - Brainstorming

Comment

Mount

I'll try to take some closeups of the mount. I looked at a lot of different options before settling on this, but the gooseneck and other mounts didn't give me the stability I wanted.

This mount is the top of a cheap $5 walmart tabletop tripod. I disassembled the tripod, and replaced the thumbscrew that fixes the top with a hex head screw. The tripod mount just screws into the bottom of the screen, and is attached to a bolt that is the same diameter as the top of the tripod. The bolt is mounted to a piece of steel I picked up at Home Depot. The whole thing cost me $15 including the black paint.

This may not be a "real" install as far as the purists are concerned, but I'm happy with it. The display can rotate/tilt easily, and can move back against the dash so my wife can play Sudoku on it while we drive

Comment

You are right; it is a hard diction total intergraded the system in the dash, the most of the time it is need the change some of the dash, ;o)
            Plan for project = 100%
            Part the project. = 100%
            Built...................= 99%
            Finish.................= 99%
            Install ...............= 99% -50%
            Ditail at 4u2n.dk
            Here

Comment

Nah man, don't worry about it being "real". You have a beautiful dash, and there is no way you could put that in your dash without screwing up your beautiful car. I have the same situation, and I'm not willing to cut up my dash for the carputer... (although I may try a roof mounted flipdown thing).
              -

Comment

^^^ I am in a similar situation! I'm just too cheap and not technically inclined to fabricate my own stuff so I just bought a tablet laptop and made a small 99 cent mount for it. I didn't drill or modifying ANYTHING in the car and it works perfectly.

The mount I made, which is removable in seconds, was awesome because it holds my laptop (~4 lbs) without a problem. Since the xenarc/lilliput screens are so much lighter, honestly, mounting it shouldn't be a problem at all - you just gotta be real creative...

I have seen many cars where there is an ash tray in an EASY to reach place for the driver - like it's ANGLED upwards for easy access. I am sure you can EASILY make a foam mount like I did for a small xenarc or lilliput screen. Looking at the 2nd pic above, you can see a small compartment open beneath the temprature controls... this wouid be ideal to mount a xenarc there!!!

The way I am mounting it, if I ever need to sell my car or even take my tablet laptop to class or to work, all it takes is like 20 seconds and POOF - my car looks STOCK. No need to buy a replacement dash/center console pieces, rip the entire car apart to wire it, etc...

Check out the link in my sig and use your imagination!
                - sh00k
                Duct tape and a Bandana for the win, b!shes!!!

My Setup:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73500

Cost so far: Less than a grand ;]

Comment

Mount pictures

Here are some shots of the tripod mount and how it is attached.
                  Attached Files

Comment

nice job representing us renesis owners!

Comment

Ive been seeing this thread for quite sometime before I tried to start my own project. I didnt much appreciate this one before, but not these past few days.

Now that Im planning one, and searched the first 10 pages of Show off your Project, I started to appreciate your idea. I used to like the idea of the OEM look mount. But I started to realize that I can only fit in a 7in monitor. Cut my story short, I like the idea of your wife moving the lcd back to the dash and play Sudoku with it.

Now to my question.
                      Is it sturdy? Does it sway back and forth, flip up and down, or rotate while youre driving? How about when running over bumps or even when you are using it?

Can I take a look on the hole that you made on your dash?

Comment

btw, what is your screen?

Comment

Originally posted by isawultra View Post
                          Ive been seeing this thread for quite sometime before I tried to start my own project. I didnt much appreciate this one before, but not these past few days.

Now that Im planning one, and searched the first 10 pages of Show off your Project, I started to appreciate your idea. I used to like the idea of the OEM look mount. But I started to realize that I can only fit in a 7in monitor. Cut my story short, I like the idea of your wife moving the lcd back to the dash and play Sudoku with it.

Now to my question.
                          Is it sturdy? Does it sway back and forth, flip up and down, or rotate while youre driving? How about when running over bumps or even when you are using it?

Can I take a look on the hole that you made on your dash?
                          It is very sturdy, and doesn't move much at all. The tripod top that I used had a thumb screw to tighten it and lock it down - I replaced that with a hex head screw that I keep tight enough to hold it in place but still let it rotate by hand.

The hole in the dash is just the opening left when the "plug" is removed from it. The steel bar was just the right size to fit through the hole, and extends back to the dash frame. If I ever want to remove the screen, I can just put the plug back in and no-one will be able to tell it was ever installed.

The screen is a "dynamix" - I've been very happy with it.

Good luck with your project!

Comment

nice install if you ask me, it all depends really coz by the look of it your dash is pretty much all of the options to make it hard to relocate all those buttons! im having a similar problem with mine and was deciding on a slider mechanism to sport an 8in lcd since the bottom part can only hold a puny 5in one (as in the pic of mine i placed here). but the thing is i wanted it higher and this looks like a good way to go so i hope you dont mind if i copy this in the future if i see it fit.

fyi: what stops me from cutting the dash and installing it under there is that the airconditioning controls are irelocatable since its not toggle like switches...i know..sucks to be me..lol

Comment

Thanks Zyll!

Comment

Working...
                              X