Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Here is my project.

1. 2003 Mitsubishi Galant Climate Control Unit (HVAC).
    2. 7” VGA touch-screen LCD monitor.
    3. VIA EPIA SP13000 Mini-ITX Motherboard
    4. 1GB DDR RAM PC2700 Memory.
    5. Ampie Car Computer Case.
    6. 160W Intelligent Automotive DC-DC Power supply.
    7. IONE 2.4GHz Wireless Mini Joystick Keyboard.
    8. Radio relocation kit.
    9. Bluetooth USB Dongle.
    10. USB Noise cancelling microphone.
    12. External USB SLOT-LOAD SLIM DVD-RW/CD-RW Drive
    13. 80 GB 2.5" Hard drive.
    14. Wireless 802.11g USB network dongle.
    15. HQCT Radio tuner.
    16. 7 ports USB 2.0 hub.
    17. Microsoft USB GPS Receiver.

I knew that I had to relocate the climate control (HVAC) first and then fabricate my original DIN panel to fit my 7” touch-screen monitor and CD/DVD reader/burner. And I wanted it to have original factory look.

I did not find any custom kits for my project beside the radio relocation kit.

HVAC relocation:
    I removed climate control module from my original HVAC control (the circuit board you see in the front of the unit), and stuck it in the plastic box. Mapped and soldered all wires from the Galant HVAC buttons and lights to that original climate control module. Then I used “Radio relocation kit” and some spacers to attach “new” HVAC unit to the original screw holes.

Monitor and CD/DVD burner in the DIN panel:
    Cut-out the unneeded area in the original DIN panel. Disassembled brand-new monitor, cut-out plastic face-plate from the monitor, and using epoxy glue attached to the DIN panel. Removed the CD/DVD drive from the plastic enclosure, and using epoxy glue attached that enclosure to the bottom of the DIN panel. I filled all the gaps in the “new” DIN panel with the same epoxy glue. Then using a lot of elbow grease and sandpaper shaped the DIN panel to the state as you see on the pictures. Primed and painted.

The PC:
    The PC case itself looks exactly as amplifier and it’s a little bigger than the Mitsubishi factory amplifier. So I installed it under the passenger seat, similar to the way the factory amplifier is installed under the driver’s seat. I had to make custom wiring harness to connect my PC to the battery, ignition, and amplifier. You will not find any loose wires in my installation, everything has the factory (OEM) look.

The PC is running MS Windows XP Pro. For the car front-end I choose to install RoadRunner. To control my cell phone over the Bluetooth I installed PhoneControl.NET from phoco.net. When PhoneControl is installed it completely integrated with RoadRunner.

Third brake light:
    Like I mentioned previously I want to maintain a clean factory look. I did not want my GPS sensor and Wireless network adapter to be visible. I noticed that Evos have a pretty big third brake light. I disassembled the brake light, removed the original large bulb and assembled a simple home-made circuit using 5 ultra-bright LED light. This gave me a lot of room to install everything I need (GPS sensor and Wireless network adapter) inside.

To-do list:
    1. Install ScanTool from ScanTool.net and integrate with my car Interface.
    2. Install two web-cams. One camera facing forward (to record while I’m driving) and one camera facing backwards (camera will be automatically switched-on when I shift my Evo in reverse).

lookin good!

Comment

Originally posted by blacklancer View Post
      lookin good!
      Thanks. Sorry I don't have any "in progress" pictures.

Comment

any reason you went with the galant controls instead of reusing the stock ones?

Comment

Originally posted by blacklancer View Post
          any reason you went with the galant controls instead of reusing the stock ones?
          Stock ones is really hard to relocate.

Comment

nice install. hows that keyboard working for you. i was thinking on getting the same one.
            [::::::::::] 100% - Planning
            [::::::::::] 80% - Computer
            [::::::::::] 0% - Fabbing
            CarPC:
            SP13000 / 120GB SATA 2.5" / 512MB DDR
            8" Innovatek TS / Globalsat BU-353 / Engenius EUB-362 EXT
            Slot load DVDRW / PS3 Wireless Keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by AllThingsEnd View Post
              nice install. hows that keyboard working for you. i was thinking on getting the same one.
              I like it.

Comment

looks very good and clean in detail
                MY ALFAPUTER

Comment

great install. how did you get such a nice cut for the cd/dvd rom drive?
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                  Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                  Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                  Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
                    great install. how did you get such a nice cut for the cd/dvd rom drive?
                    Fabricated from original using fiberglass. Cut it using rotary tool.

Comment

Damn, how do u manage to use the pc whilst driving a car so fast ?!? lol ...... superb install !!
                      View the 260 Galloping Horses: [images]

Comment

Originally posted by ScarFace View Post
                        Damn, how do u manage to use the pc whilst driving a car so fast ?!? lol ...... superb install !!
                        Just trying not to chat to much while driving.

Comment

PLEASE tell me where you bought that cd drive. That's exactly what I'm looking for, but I cant find any external slim drives anywhere.

Comment

thrasher, look at the mp3car.com store. they ahve slim/slot loading dvd drives
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by Thrasher View Post
                              PLEASE tell me where you bought that cd drive. That's exactly what I'm looking for, but I cant find any external slim drives anywhere.
                              They sell them on http://www.pm3car.com/ and ebay

Comment

Working...
                              X