1991 Subaru Legacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Subaru Legacy

So I have been slowly working on this for about four months now, and finally got the screen mounted properly this weekend. I figured it was time to post some pictures and stuff.

I built just about the entire thing out of spare pieces I had lying around.

The computer:

1GHz Pentium III processor
    384MB RAM
    20GB hard drive (temporary)
    4MB AGP video card
    Aureal Vortex 4 channel sound card
    TM-868 off-brand 8" touch screen

Sound:
    MB Quart 6.5" components in front
    Kenwood 320W 4-channel amp
    Obcon 10" subwoofer in trunk
    Jensen 300W 2-channel amp, bridged

Pictures

The car (slightly outdated):

The computer is a full-size ATX mounted in a custom wood case (again, I used parts I had lying around, this is not a perfect design by any means):

It sits in the corner of the trunk:

Power to the computer and inverter is controlled by switches in the dash until I can finish a startup/shutdown controller:

To mount the screen, I molded the casing from the screen into the stock radio bezel using epoxy putty and bondo:

And here it is mounted in the car:

Right now I'm using Roadrunner as a front end because I like to be able to customize it and it seems pretty stable, although I've been having annoying problems with the computer a lot so far (in the last two days, I guess it's not that bad ).

There's a ton more to come, but it's a slow process because I'm poor.
    ~ Joel

nice! i drive an 05wrx and im so enthused by subarus in general, this one is lucky you love it enough for a carpc ^_^ keep it up man.

Comment

Thanks!
      ~ Joel

Comment

how much was the computer? how much is the bluebook on your car?
        Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

I had most of the computer pieces already, so total invested from the start of this project is a little over $300. Book on the car is somewhere around $1700ish. Doesn't really matter to me though, the car's got a good 100k-200k miles of life left in it if I want to push it that far.
          ~ Joel

Comment

lol yeah just messin with you. dosnt matter what the cars worth the computer is much more important.
            Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

looks good mate, im just about to start my car pc install in my 92 legacy (or as we call them in Australia, liberty )

just wondering how hard it was to fit that screen in the dash?

Comment

It wasn't all that hard but it took a decent amount of custom work. Behind the stock bezel I had to cut away all the stock stereo mounting points to leave a smooth open hole for it to go in, and I still need to cut a little of the bottom of the cupholder area. The rest was just bondo and sanding after that. It would be a lot easier if you used a smaller screen.

I can get a picture of the area behind if you want.
                ~ Joel

Comment

yer, that would be great,

thanks

Comment

great job

I am working on my 95' Subaru Legacy too..

Comment

Working...
                    X