Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Ford Escape XLS with CarPC -

NEW PICS ON PAGE 3!!
    Okay - let me clear this up - First XLS model with a CarPC, not the first Ford Escape - - Don't shoot me!!

Anyway, after months of gathering parts here and there - and contemplating whether or not I should do a Carputer in my new truck, I finally decided to put something together to satisfy my basic needs when I'm cruisin' to work or taking long trips with the family -

Specs are simple -
    Molded Xenarc 700TSVB Touch
    VIA SP13000
    Crucial 512GB RAM
    Maxtor 60GB HDD
    Slim Optical Drive with IDE adapter
    Opus 150 PSU
    RoadRunner Front End
    BU-353 GPS Receiver
    IGuidance 3 Navigation
    4-Port USB Unit

That's all for now - I could have more pics up when I do some updates - Thanks for checking it out - Any comments or feedback is appreciated -

Next will be details about the Audio setup -
    VER. 3.0- Check out below:
    車コンピュータ 3.0

very nice install
    Plan for project = 100%
    Part the project. = 100%
    Built...................= 99%
    Finish.................= 99%
    Install ...............= 99% -50%
    Ditail at 4u2n.dk
    Here

Comment

Thanks!!!
      I've it for a lil' while now... I just finally decided to stop being lazy and take pics of it to share with everyone..
      車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

looks great. i have a 2001 that i am hoping to do at some point.

what did you do for the screen? it looks like you didn't have to modify the dash in any way, and that is my goal. appreciate any info you have on that

thanks
        craig

Comment

Actually, the dash was modified quite a bit, but from behind the center console - unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of that part of the project - but it's mounted tightly and securely so I wouldn't have to go back there again after I buttoned everything back up -
          車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

at speeds over 120 mph you might have some problems with the antenna

Comment

looking good, since you asked for comments and feedback: I really think you dropped the ball on the cd rom drive and usb hub. you have a perfect spot for it right under the screen. if you put it there (and make it look as good as your screen does) then you'll have an A+ install in my book.
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I know you said you don't have any pics of the screen install, but in general, how did you do it? Specifically, how did you work around the metal ring that the factory head unit uses to stablize itself? I would think that if you mount the screen with the housing flush against it, that it would pertrude in such a way as to make the radio bezel not mount flush anymore. Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Comment

GPS doesnt move in that position?

I am considering putting mine in the same spot.

also you havnt had any trouble with water in the GPS unit? I am scpetical of the "waterproof" rating on the GPS after the number of BU-303's that failed from water damage

Comment

hey fray, nice job
                    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Answers -

1 - At speeds of 120 MPH? You'll never catch me going past 80 MPH in my truck -

2 - I didn't drop the ball - the slim drive is only a temporary solution until I have everything setup - It's not permanently mounted - I don't wanna have the a CD-ROM at all in the car -
                      As for the USB Hub - I plan on reloacting it too - somewhere more "hidden" -

3 - Metal ring? Dunno about that - I basically dremeled enough behind the dash to make room for the Xenarc and I molded the front side of the housing to the back of the Center Console Trim/Bezel- I could still install the stock radio if I ever get another Center Console Trim/Bezel - I took extreme precautionary measures for anti-theft when I was working on this one - for obvious reasons - which I will not elaborate on -

4 - GPS is steady and solid - no motion - and this is my opinion on the unit - it's MUCH better that a BU-303 - No water issues and I've it it for a while -

5 - Thanks Turbocad!!!!
                      車コンピュータ 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by Fraychild View Post
                        Answers -

1 - At speeds of 120 MPH? You'll never catch me going past 80 MPH in my truck -
                        I suspect that's mostly b/c the Escape has a governer to top it at 100 MPH. I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
                          looking good, since you asked for comments and feedback: I really think you dropped the ball on the cd rom drive and usb hub. you have a perfect spot for it right under the screen. if you put it there (and make it look as good as your screen does) then you'll have an A+ install in my book.
                          I did that in my 03 Escape and I regret it. Behind the center dash piece is a structural piece (~3" tubular construction). There is barely enough room to get the CD-Rom drive there, but it causes real problems with how the wires come out of the back.

USB hub on the other hand, could go there with no problem, but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't put the CD-Rom there.

If you ever plan to mold the screen in place, I reccomend cutting the center dash piece in half as in the picture below. It was a long time before I did this and due to the short HVAC control wires and constantly fidgitting with the pc behind it, I scratched up the part of the dash just below the centerpiece.
                          Attached Files
                          '03 Escape 4WD:
                          -iTox mini-itx mobo, Core 2 Duo Mobile 1.66Ghz; 2GB, 80GB 2.5" HD, DS-ATX
                          -Transflective 8.4"
                          -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
                          -Rearview camera with auto-switching (modified cheesbox)
                          -Slim Slot DVD+RW
                          -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Originally posted by wannaz28 View Post
                            at speeds over 120 mph you might have some problems with the antenna
                            At speeds over 80 you may have problems with the velcro giving way and PC components bouncing around, lol.

Nice install man, I like how you used an OEM plastic part as the chassis. Very creative. Nice mounting of the CD drive and USB ports. Eveything looks clean, nice job.
                            Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

I like how clean and practically OEM it looks.
                              1998 Honda Accord EX/Leather/MT

Comment

Working...
                              X