2001 Audi A4 1.8TMS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Audi A4 1.8TMS

Inspired by people like SharksWeb and Nicklemedia in AudiWorld, I, too, decided to undertake the task of installing a carPC to play MP3s, Videos, DVDs, and have NAV and VAG-COM capability on the fly. Here are my specs:

- Travla C137 case
    - Mini-ITX VIA EPIA M10000 Motherboard
    - Embedded VIA C3 1Ghz CPU with Fan
    - 512MB PC3200 DDR Ram
    - Hitachi 30GB 2.5 Hard Drive
    - DVD/CDRW Slim Slot Load Drive
    - Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Card
    - OPUS 150W Power Supply inside Travla Case
    - 4 port USB PCI Hub
    - BU-353
    - 7" 700TSV
    - 9/06 RR build
    - Modified BMv2 skin
    - Winamp 2.95
    - MPC (default installed)
    - VAG-COM Beta v0.78
    - IGuidance v3.0

While it took a couple of months to get a handle on what I needed for what I wanted, the learning curve was steep, but it all came together nicely in the end. I've got the PC up and running w/ all the software and controls working as it should. I am now at the even more fun, yet frustrating, part...fabrication.

I decided on a miniPC case to ease the installation/removal of the PC for updates, maintainence, etc. I wanted something that could come out relatively easily and plugged into my hot bench. Doing an indash install would make that rather cumbersome to do. Eventually, I'd like to incorporate internet capability, but I'm not Mr. Deeppockets.

I decided to use RR for my front end because of limitless possiblilities it offers. It's probably more than I need, personally, but I like to have the option should I decide to want more. The skin is a modified BMv2 skin. Just changed the color scheme a bit to match my OEM interior and added/removed some functionality I needed/didn't need.

Now, some pics:
    ...of the car...

My hot bench:

Pic of the Road Runner Front End control panel:

Audio Browser:

Audio Player:

IGuidance Navigation:

Last but not least, VAG-COM functionality:

My plans for fabrication are as follows:
    The touchscreen will take the place of the OEM Symphony Radio.

I purchased the Metra Kit 99-9105 to help make a new bezel for the touchscreen. Also embedded into the faceplate will be two usb ports and a power and reset buttion.

The case will be mounted in the trunk.

I don't have any plans for installing a remote slot load DVD into the dash anywhere, but I can always utilize the hazard/fog/cupholder area if I ever change my mind.

Not too shabby for $1200.

So, stay tuned for the fabrication...
    Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

Sounds like a plan! Cant wait to see some more progress....btw nice car

Comment

how to get the Road Runner software?

Hi friend ! i have a carputer into my car, but i dont know WHY to get the Road Runner Soft, is free? can you get me a copy? or please let me know the link to download, thanks!

PD: your car is beauty!

Comment

Originally posted by alejandroborja View Post
        Hi friend ! i have a carputer into my car, but i dont know WHY to get the Road Runner Soft, is free? can you get me a copy? or please let me know the link to download, thanks!

PD: your car is beauty!
        Check the RoadRunner forum. There's a link in there to download/install RR.

I've started to fab the bezel. Will post pics on my next log.
        Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

Comment

Um, I'll see if I still have it. I was cleaning out my computers (desktop and carPC) and have been deleting a bunch of skins already made. I've been working on a new skin to suit my own personal tastes and functions, and have since been using that on-the-fly skin. I'll email it to you once I find it.

Comment

I also have a Audi and like the red skin. if you do find it i would also like a copy.thank you.

Comment

Looking to see how this turns out.

I really like those rims and it also looks like you done some performance mods?

btw, this should be in the worklogs section
              Installed
              Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
              512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
              Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
              [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

+1 on requesting hookups with that skin. That looks real nice

Is it time-intensive to change the glow and font on the skins? I need an orange one for both dark/light brushed aluminum skins
                ---------------------------------------
                2004 350Z Install - Click here to see my install
                Software: Windows XP MCE / Roadrunner / iGuidance 3.0
                Hardware: Asus A7N8X Deluxe / Athlon XP Barton (Underclocked) / 512MB RAM / WD 320GB / Lilliput 629

Comment

You really should post that skin in the RR forum, in the skins subforum. It is really nice, and would be helpfull to many people.

Michael
                  ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Looking to see how this turns out.

I really like those rims and it also looks like you done some performance mods?

btw, this should be in the worklogs section

Yeah, I have some mild performance mods:
                    Coilovers, K04, Neuspeed rear sway and SS, FMIC, exhaust, and a couple other doo-hickeys.

I meant to post in the worklogs section, but couldn't find the delete post option. I figured I'd just wait and the let the mods move it.

+1 on requesting hookups with that skin. That looks real nice

Is it time-intensive to change the glow and font on the skins? I need an orange one for both dark/light brushed aluminum skins
                    Not really. If you have PS, that is. I just grabbed the PSD's and changed the effects for all the skins. Didn't take too long. Seeing that I'm still working on my new skin, I don't have much time to do what you're asking. Maybe when I'm finished w/ mine and have fully installed my carPC, I make one up for you.

You really should post that skin in the RR forum, in the skins subforum. It is really nice, and would be helpfull to many people.

Michael
                    If I still have it, I think I will.

Comment

I posted the skin in the RR Skins subforum.

Here you go.

Comment

So I'm just about done w/ the bezel.

I started w/ the install kit mentioned above and the OEM xenarc housing. Because the housing is longer heightwise than that install bezel, fabrication involved more than just gluing the two together and calling it a day.

I neglected to take pics of the entire process, but the process was simple, but does require a lot of patience to fill, shape, fit, fill, shape,fit, fill, shape, fit some more. I'm not going into detail on how i did this, as it is covered quite extensively in the Fabrication forum.

Anycase, here is the almost finished bezel:

Still need to do some filling and smoothing, but I should have it primed and painted during the holidays.

Anyways, enjoy!

Comment

So the bezel is complete and I've started to tear into my interior. As it stands now, my entire center console and driver's side door trim is out and I have started to run the TS VGA and USB, HU aux audio input, OBDII Interface cable, and power cables.

Here's a pic of the completed bezel. Don't mind the little specs. They flaked off w/ a light brush stroke and left no impressions/indentations. The match is really good. There is an irregularity in the sheen when comparing the bezel to the surrounding climate control and ACC/cupholder trim. I can live with it. Besides, you really have to look at it closely to really realize it. I see it just because I'm stupid like that.

Still left on the plate to fab are:
                          - A USB panel mount for this handy piece of harware. Cut a pair of holes, mount using the supplied screws, and done.
                          - Rear decklid rack to mount my PC and, in the near future, amps for my audio upgrade. Here's an example pic borrowed from another audi enthusiast:

The idea is keep it stock looking, retain full trunk functionality, and easy access to remove PC for updates, upgrades, maintainence, etc.

As far as software development goes, still need to finish a couple more skin files (i.e OSK, Video Menu, Browser, etc.) and all that will be left after that is optimization for quicker boot times. As it stands, fastest clock time is 43 seconds from cold boot to music, 24 from hibernate. I suppose it could be quicker.

Nearing the end of the project. Hope to have this all done by the end of the week.

Comment

nice job, like stock bezel

Comment

Working...
                            X