2000 Firebird Trans Am - Whord!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Firebird Trans Am - Whord!

Ok, so this actually didn't take me as long as I thought it would, but I def. spent more time on it than I thought I would (every minute of my life....for 3 months)

Specs:
    Via Epia 800
    760 mb of pc100 Ram
    PCI to 5 port USB 2.0
    Generic 4 port USB 2.0 Hub
    LiteOn Slim Slot DVD SOLC-2481K
    4gig Western Digital Harddrive (already out of room..gotta expand, hey it was free)
    M2-ATX power Supply (which is the bomb diggity....yo)

Screen:
    8" TFT LCD w/ touchscreen (no name brand. I think it had a logo that said SUPER....I was just glad it worked)

Programs:
    I am running Win98 SE (slow mobo)
    RoadRunner w/ winamp 2.95
    my fronted is ZD Grey with a modified skin:

Here was my org. boot screen (wife made me change it).....dang the women

Here is the new one (this is the good version..to run as a logo in WIN98 it has to be in crap 24bit .bmp form)

I kept my original head unit, but I faced it up and tucked it behind my screen. I used a Peripherals AUX2CAR (PXDX) Universal Audio Input Adapter to run my computer through my CD Changer controls. I can control my radio and volume via steering wheel controls:

Here is my DVD Unit:

To be able to put my screen in my dash I had to relocate my HVAC controls. It uses a combination of wires, vacuum tubes, and a tension cable. Making the wires longer was easy. Just crimp more wire. The tubes took some time to figure out, but I just used 1/4" windshield wiper tubing and super glue (the new tube slides over the old tube) from Pep Boys. The cable is being lengthened by a company in California www.Push-Pull.com(I tried, I failed, I outsourced):

I got a mind like a steel Trap!

Cont.

Ok and Now the Balls!
    My buddy and I came up with a shelf system to go in the rear cavity. The Amp is on the bottom w/ 2 hdd drive fans that blow inside the cavity. The 2nd level is for my HDD and PSU. On this level there is a horizontal fan (from an old PowerSupply) that blows the air up. The third level is for the mobo with a blower to push all that no good hot air out of the cavity. All the materials to make the shelving and front cover was 3/4" smoked plexi-glass.

This is a little off topic, but I would like to show it off. I made my first fiberglass sub box. It holds an 8" SoloBaric with an MTX rt251d (about 300 watts):

This part doesn't really make the box look good, but I wanted to show how it's integrated with the vehicle. I put washers where the seat belt bolts go. It's not going Anywhere!

Well thanks to everyone for all the help....you probably don't know it, but you most likely helped me in some way. Okay Dokey

Comment

looks good but that box can use some extra attention...

Comment

and the hvac looks pretty ghetto... you should clean that up with some vinyl wrapped ply or something...

Comment

Well I have a piece of plexi-glass on top of it right now, but I litterally just put in the computer today. So of course I have some extra work to do. Yeah the box isn't great, but it sounds good...so whatever.

Comment

looking good. i really like the computer case.

one question though...are those door pods oem? and where did you get the tinted lexan? crap... that was two questions. :-)
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Yeah those are OEM, but once I get the hang of the fiberglass/bondo...It's on. My friends dad has about 30 sheets in different colors and thicknesses. So, he let me grab what I needed.

Comment

Fine Fine so The AC controls were a little ghetto....is this better

Here is also a picture of the DVD Player installed

Comment

the hvac will be better once you get the center knob , and that sub box is nice, but it can be smoothed out, just takes time, I say invest it, it will be worth it.

2006 Mazda 3
                  Behringer DCX-2496
                  JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
                  JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

You can also swap those knobs with taller ones that are easier to grab. They light up red and everything. Much easier to adjust.

Old knobs:

New knobs:

1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
                    CarPC's in F-bodies
                    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
                    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
                    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

that is only if he has clearance

2006 Mazda 3
                      Behringer DCX-2496
                      JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
                      JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

very nice install. I really like the bigger screen, but i wanted to make it look more factory, so i am going with 7 inch mounted above the controls. if i get bored with it, i will modify it, but for now, its good. What would you think of sharing your skin with a fellow trans am driver? also, is your dvd drive using 2 usb plugs? one for data one for power maybe? im deciding on internal dvd drive or remotely located like yours.
                        Car Pc progress meter:
                        [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
                        My worklog

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by JasonWW View Post
                          You can also swap those knobs with taller ones that are easier to grab. They light up red and everything. Much easier to adjust.
                          Where did you find those knobs at? How much taller are they? I have some clearance because the lid has a recess in it. So if it's not too much bigger I can use them.

Originally posted by redls1bird View Post
                          very nice install. I really like the bigger screen, but i wanted to make it look more factory, so i am going with 7 inch mounted above the controls. if i get bored with it, i will modify it, but for now, its good. What would you think of sharing your skin with a fellow trans am driver? also, is your dvd drive using 2 usb plugs? one for data one for power maybe? im deciding on internal dvd drive or remotely located like yours.
                          I have no problems sharing the skin I will post it on Monday or Wed. when I get a chance. I think I have one without the bird on it...unless you like the bird. It's finals week so it's pretty busy around here. I have the dual usb system. I really like it because of the remote location all I had to do was run 2 usbs to the front the car. I hooked a hub up to one usb and connected the data line to that. I used the other for direct power to the dvd. I was thinking about trying for a 10" screen, but I really do like the screen that I have. If you plan on using the dvd player for movies than go for the remote location otherwise just use the internal. It was a pain putting it in the glove box because the wire adapter ad like an inch to the length of the dvd system. So i had to drill in the glove box and cut out a slot in the plastic behind so the box could easily slide in and out.

Thanks again guys for postive feedbacks.

Comment

looks good, now its time for a hurst comp plus shifter... those stock shifters are terrible(especially the non-factory hursts) i dunno how u still have it!

Comment

I have had the car for about 8 months and it's my first manual. Before this I had a 97 Saturn. So I really don't know how it's Supposed to feel. Can you give me more details on the shifter? I don't know much about the automotive side of my car...just the basics.

Comment

Working...
                              X