Cadillac Cts 2004 - Carputer Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Through Factory Speakers

As everybody knows, this is the main issue for this project. Mbai2 was too heavy to me and using a FM modulator is not a good option so we decided to make a custom harness to make it possible. Thanks to my friend vwcooper, who made it happen.

The first thing is to get a high enough level of sound from the PC so we used a minijack to RCA cable and plugged it to an ALPINE 2 channels amp, small enough to be located behind the climate control. Two channels is enough because the factory non-Bose system only provides right/left output.

The whole system is powered from one of the empty fuses at the box under the backseat. The cable (+) goes to 3 different fuses we located under the foam at the gearknob room.

The Yellow one (20A) is to feed the new amp.
    The Red one (10A) is switched to turn on/off the computer.
    The Orange one (5A) is switched to commute from one audio source (factory radio) to the other (computer).

To commute the audio sources we used two parallel 8 pins relays, so when the switch is off the speakers receive the audio from the factory radio and when it is on the audio comes from the computer.

Summarizing, the circuit is closed as follows:
    All the outputs from the factory radio (ISO) are positive and they get to the 8pins relays (that receive the signal from the computer as well and are switched by the button at the central console) and then to the factory amplifier (ISO).

If you are using a bluetooth hands free device to answer your phone calls (I have the Parrot 3100), you must put its ISO between the relays and the factory amp, so it will mute the audio no matter what source is in use at that time.
    Attached Files
    Foro en Castellano

Comment

Theftlock

When I purchased a factory radio to assembly the computer without even touching the original one, I didn't know that we should have to go to the dealer to unlock it from the THEFTLOCK message it shows when is connected.
      The took 80 away from my wallet for a 5 minutes operation but I was not able to find anybody with a Tech2 tool to be connected to my OBD II port.
      Bad luck having an american car in Spain ...
      Attached Files
      Foro en Castellano

Comment

Centrafuse

Some screens with the CF.
        Attached Files
        Foro en Castellano

Comment

nasty - u r nasty with the install!!!!

sweeet lookin' ride - now with a full blown pc!!!
          CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
          Atom - 1.8ghz
          2GB Ram
          32GB SSD
          8" TouchScreen
          5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability

Finished Project
          Car Hacking
          WorkBlog
          Video

Comment

Rear Camera

For those that are not sure where I located the camera, have a look to these pictures.
            As you can see, european plates are different. The thing is that it's originally located too high, so we must put it lower to get room enough for the 3.5 cm diameter of the camera.
            To avoid anyone touching the camera, I placed a black PC sheet and then the plate.
            Attached Files
            Foro en Castellano

Comment

ps - with regards to the sound integration issue i had going on - i purchased a usb fm MODULator and for some reason it's working great now?!?!? i would still consider HArdwiring into the radio later..
              CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
              Atom - 1.8ghz
              2GB Ram
              32GB SSD
              8" TouchScreen
              5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability

Finished Project
              Car Hacking
              WorkBlog
              Video

Comment

Skins For Centrafuse

There are a couple of custom skins for the CENTRAFUSE that will match great with the CTS interior lights.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/cf-s...exfousion.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/cf-s...entrafuse.html

I'm currently using the second one, available in blue color as well.
                Attached Files
                Foro en Castellano

Comment

Nexus Skin

These are some pictures of my CF with the NEXUS skin, that matches really well with my CTS lights.
                  Attached Files
                  Foro en Castellano

Comment

Where did you find that CF cadillac skin?

Comment

updated to CF 1.47

Some photoshop to customize the Aura skin.
                      Attached Files
                      Foro en Castellano

Comment

Can you send me that customized skin?

Comment

AURA skin for Cadillac

Sure, you just unzip this package and replace the files in your CF.
                          The files skin, logo and splashlogo are in Centrafuse\Skins\Aura.
                          The files for the customized screens are in Centrafuse\Skins\Aura\screens.
                          Attached Files
                          Foro en Castellano

Comment

Extra Info For The Wirings

I'm attching drawings and explanations of the MIY harness.
                            I hope it helps.
                            Attached Files
                            Foro en Castellano

Comment

Originally posted by r0xxx View Post
                              I am curious. Why couldnt you use the unused factory cd inputs for audio from the PC? This would be easy to do and you could keep the factory radio in tact for am/fm. All you would have to do is switch the factory radio to CD for the carputer audio to work.

In my case I would rather do that because I have an '05 cts which has XM built in.

Also, There should be enough room to install your cd/dvd rom (barely) in the dash above or below the 7". Were there any other issues you ran into that prevented this? Well one thing I notice is that you wouldnt be able to use the lcd bezel because it is too wide. Good luck on your project. I will probably have a lot more questions once I get started on mine. -r0xxx

So how would you do that.. Does anyone have the harness diagram for the CD that shows which wires carry the CD audio????

Comment

Nice Work!

Comment

Working...
                                X