Nokia 770 powered MP3CAR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nokia 770 powered MP3CAR

I took a Nokia 770, Canola Media Player software, and ProClip USA mounting hardware and put it all together:

Here's the article:

Pictures and video included.

No feedback? None at all? (sob)

I also reviewed ALK Software's CoPilot Live for the Motorola Q. They have it for other platforms too. That article is here with pictures and video of course.

Does anyone know a good digital video camera that can focus in within a few inches?

Comment

dude it realy isnt a carputer its just a mp3 player

Comment

The Nokia 770 Internet Tablet has much more going for it than just MP3 playback. While Canola works best with music and video, the same mount and line input can be use for GPS software and more. I have a ton of links I could offer to support that, but simply browsing the rest of that blog will show you enough.

Comment

Originally posted by vince23m View Post
          dude it realy isnt a carputer its just a mp3 player
          just a friendly reminder, this is afterall mp3car.com
          2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
          Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
          Install Status: DONE

My XM FAQ

Comment

Thanks Pyros. Here's an appropriate link defending the 770

http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com/2006/...n-car-use.html

Comment

That's an interesting blog. So the Nokia 770 is basically like a upc? Is it also a cell phone?

Sucks that the screen is so small. Is it true you can only upgrade the memory to 1 gig? Is there another way to add mass media storage?

Pretty good for the price I suppose. I'm going to definately look into these more. Looks like there's tons of hacks/aftermarket mods for these.
              www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Originally posted by SnyperBob View Post
                That's an interesting blog. So the Nokia 770 is basically like a upc? Is it also a cell phone?

Sucks that the screen is so small. Is it true you can only upgrade the memory to 1 gig? Is there another way to add mass media storage?

Pretty good for the price I suppose. I'm going to definately look into these more. Looks like there's tons of hacks/aftermarket mods for these.
                It's an internet tablet with more hacks thon you can believe. More than a pda and not quite a UMPC , but with Linux under the hood it's quite nice. That little display is 800x480

Comment

To answer the question on external storage:
                  First you need to build a hack that'll allow USB host mode to work properly:
                  http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com/2006/...njector-2.html

Then mounting is just like Linux:
                  http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com/2006/...ano-mount.html

Comment

Update:
                    The Canola developers contacted me and told me that the next release of Canola will leave the backlight on when the device is plugged in. Good news for car use!

Comment

Can you tell me how well it works in the cold? I saw the operating temperature to be only 14 degrees F. I'm guessing that the screen response time gets slow when cold, is there anything else that is affected by the cold on these?

I'm loving the linux, and the price! Just really wondering about the coldness affecting it
                      www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Can you tell me how well it works in the cold? I saw the operating temperature to be only 14 degrees F. I'm guessing that the screen response time gets slow when cold, is there anything else that is affected by the cold on these?

I'm loving the linux, and the price! Just really wondering about the coldness affecting it
                        To be honest, I cannot! Here in Phoenix, Arizona it doesn't get that cold. I suppose I could stuff it in the freezer for a couple hours and see what happens.

Comment

hmmm my phone plays MP3's and can surf the internet.. so does that mean if i strap if to my A/C vents it's a carPC?
                          CarPC

Comment

Yes i believe a member stated that before.. You asked for feedback in your second post so I gave it to you.. not all feedback will be good

I would also argue that this is a "show off your project" sub forum.. and I'm not impressed by your setup.. mostly because it took very little imagination to do what you just did..

I bet if you posted it in a different subforum your reception would be different.. like the newbie or wireless communication forum..

--mike
                            CarPC

Comment

Originally posted by leemik View Post
                              Yes i believe a member stated that before.. You asked for feedback in your second post so I gave it to you.. not all feedback will be good

I would also argue that this is a "show off your project" sub forum.. and I'm not impressed by your setup.. mostly because it took very little imagination to do what you just did..

I bet if you posted it in a different subforum your reception would be different.. like the newbie or wireless communication forum..

--mike
                              I actually have several different rigs. This one was the most simple, but not intended to be the most impressive. I just wanted to show that the Nokia 770 internet tablet with Canola software for media (and maemo mapper for GPS, if you like that thing) will work easily.

Sorry I was a little catty earlier. I've had a rough day.

Comment

Working...
                              X