VW MK5 GTI - My Carputa install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW MK5 GTI - My Carputa install

Just wondering what you all think of my first car pc install.

Original idea was to replace the factory head unit however I got into some problems with my VW AMP.. anyway that’s another story.

I got an old 500Mhz notebook with a busted screen. Not the fastest thing on the planet however it does everything but play DVD/DIVX and starts under a minuet.

- Notebook - (Already had)
    - Bluetooth GPS unit - (Already had)
    - Liliput 7’ touch screen – $300 on ebay
    - Bluetooth USB dongle - (Already had)
    - Notebook power inverter - $15

I decided to keep the original head unit for radio and to play legacy CD’s and put the carputa a bit lower.

After a lot of molding and tones of sanding/painting here is the final product.

The boot isn’t much to look at however it is functional and this is stage 1 after all.

Here is my baby

Get the full story and more pics http://us.ssw.com.au/daniel/Home/Car/Carputa.aspx

Stage 2
    • Make sub a bit better looking. Time for some carpet stuff
    • Make a little box/stand for the notebook as apposed to just strapping it to the sub.
    • USB GPS… Bluetooth was a bad idea

What you think??
    Do I get the mp3car.com tick of approval?
    www.ssw.com.au

pretty nice install!! your right, the hatch area could be cleaned up a little. I also think that some flat paint instead of gloss for your touch screen bezel would fit and look better in your interior. Just a thought. as far as starting from scratch and a first attempt, its heading in the right direction!
    Car Pc progress meter:
    [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
    My worklog

Comment

I think you need a spend a bit of time cleaning up your wiring. Also to me the screen bezel looks like it needs some work, maybe it's just because that gloss finish stands out like crazy against everything else.

Otherwise, looks nice.

Comment

What RR skin are you using? Can you also let me know where to get it?

Thanx

Comment

I'd definately paint the screen bezel flat black. I'm also not feeling the bungee cord thing, but I'm sure you'll clean it up in time. Here's my MKV GLI, if ya want some ideas.........http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...227#post858227

Comment

that front bezel needs a lot of work, and yes, I'd have to say flat black paint as well to help hide how not smooth it is

2006 Mazda 3
            Behringer DCX-2496
            JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
            JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

I would have just replaced the radio all together... the screen fits, and there is a bezel that you can bondo together to make like one piece... check out what we did...
              My purpose in life... to do everything the wifey says too... or atleast thats what she tells me :P

Comment

ahhh evil, i had planned to do it like that about 2 years ago, now i have 10.4 i am finishing up the bezel

R. T. F. M

Comment

wow... thats intense. Isnt it difficult to access the temp controls?
                  My purpose in life... to do everything the wifey says too... or atleast thats what she tells me :P

Comment

Originally posted by greekgod25 View Post
                    wow... thats intense. Isnt it difficult to access the temp controls?
                    About the same as it'd be for Deadeye to reach his touchscreen.

Looking like a nice start Deadeye it's an never ending upgrade
                    1998 Camaro Worklog Starting over, New setup for 2010

Comment

Well I have don’t a lot since those photos..

Firstly I have ditched the Lilliput screen and upgraded to an Infill G4....
                      http://us.ssw.com.au/daniel/Home/Car/Carputa2.aspx

Then I decided it was time for a better Sub and Amp combo.
                      http://us.ssw.com.au/daniel/Home/Car/SubInstall2.aspx

Never ending.. Yes. But it is getting very close.
                      www.ssw.com.au

Comment

I like the amp and sub combo (just put one of those new kenwoods in a car today lol), why did you decide to go with the g4?

Comment

Just too many darn problems with the notebook. Whenever I needed the dam thing, it wouldn’t work.

Couldn’t see the screen in daylight, Issues with the power supply. Wanted a system to hibernate on shutdown, has decent radio inbuilt, Looks like OEM, just works, etc.

Just got to the stage where I had to bite the bullet. Also I managed to get hundreds of the price at the time (which was still more than they are selling them for now)

Still it was cheaper than the factory sat nav option and a hell of a lot nicer.
                          www.ssw.com.au

Comment

That makes sense, i'm glad this is working out for you. PM me if your interested in selling that screen.

Comment

verry nice looks stock with the screens keep it up
                              Design: {0000------}40%
                              Parts: {00000-----}50%
                              Fab/Install: {000-------}30%
                              Front End (RR): {0---------}10%
                              TOTAL: 33%

Comment

Working...
                              X