05 STi My First Carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 STi My First Carputer

I have been piecing this project together for about a year now, started a year into my grad degree at Umass Amherst, I've had very little time to work on this, and finally about 2 weeks ago I got the majority of the pieces together in order to do the install.

Components:
    • Morex Case
    • VIA EPIA M-10000
    • 2x M1-ATX
    • 512MB RAM
    • Zonet Wireless USB Dongle
    • Lilliput LCD 619GL-70NP
    • Mechatroniks LCD Bezel Kit 1
    • Delorme Earthmate GPS
    • Hitachi 2.5" 120 Gig HDD
    • Panasonic Slot Load DVD/CD-RW slim drive
    • Some Kind of IR mini keyboard with on board joystick/mouse (looking for RF replacement)

Here is the Whip:

Here is the dash, computer under drivers seat:

My first attempt was to try and put everything in the dash:

I am running Road Runner with iDrive as my skin. Enforcer was nice enough to create my STi logo

**my GPS receiver is sitting under my clock, now V1, enclosure on my dash, it is then connected to the powered usb hub under the PS on my LCD bezel:

another:

I also Hardwired my Valentine1 above the rear view mirror:

and put the remote display where the clock used to be:

I would like to thank my buddy Eric for help with the install and also all the knowledge I've gained here at MP3Car.com
    My First Carputer

Nice car, and nice screen bezel. Did you do it yourself? If so, great job!
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

looks nice. have any more info on the words that surround the screen? are those physical buttons or is that just for show?
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
        Nice car, and nice screen bezel. Did you do it yourself? If so, great job!
        Thanks, wish I could say i did fab it, but Mechatroniks makes them. Down the line I hope to make a Bezel that fits flush mount where the CD player did.
        My First Carputer

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
          looks nice. have any more info on the words that surround the screen? are those physical buttons or is that just for show?
          Those buttons are part of the screen, that is how I get to various GUIs of RoadRunner. Enforcer made the iDrive skin, simplistic yet functional. Exactly what I wanted at this stage in the project.
          My First Carputer

Comment

Originally posted by mobileT83 View Post
            Thanks, wish I could say i did fab it, but Mechatroniks makes them. Down the line I hope to make a Bezel that fits flush mount where the CD player did.
            well it looks good!
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

i like what you've done with your install, i remember your posts over in the iDrive skin thread. under most circumstances i would say that pink is inappropriate for any guy's vehicle but i guess the STI will have to get a pass

what is the significance of the two m1 psus included in your hardware list? i can only assume that you are using them in tadem to power your setup and if so, how does it compare to using a POL for additional power regulation. please forgive my ignorance, i have not spent nearly enough time in the power supply forum.

thank you and enjoy the ride

Comment

That rocks. I hope I can get mine to look that good.
                Mike M
                2006 Accord VP Sedan

My worklog
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-dads-car.html

Comment

Originally posted by sedtc View Post
                  what is the significance of the two m1 psus included in your hardware list? i can only assume that you are using them in tadem to power your setup and if so, how does it compare to using a POL for additional power regulation. please forgive my ignorance, i have not spent nearly enough time in the power supply forum.
                  There are a few reasons.
                  • I didn't want to run 12V and 5V for the Lilliput and USB hub from under my seat to dash
                  • A smaller PS could be used but then I would have to introduce a relay and 12V regulator....both are built into the M1
                  • This means the power for my LCD and the Power for my carputer (various parts) are isolated from one another creating a better trouble shooting environment

at first the Pink STi emblem all over the car and embroidered into my seats didn't agree with me, but now I can't think of a color that would look as good

thanks for checking out my car

T
                  My First Carputer

Comment

Originally posted by mwmcginn View Post
                    That rocks. I hope I can get mine to look that good.
                    thanks mw, still a work in progress, I'm look at the Infinity basslink system for a little bump and the compact 4 channel amp....still running OEM speakers

T
                    My First Carputer

Comment

Nice job mate, always good to see another Impreza out there !!

The bezal does make easy work of mounting the LCD doesn't it.

Regards,

Steve (UK)
                      System - Epia SP13000 for Main PC, Holux GR-213 USB GPS Receiver SiRF Star III, 2.4Ghz Uplink with VNC and Custom designed USB Intelligent SDC (In DEV). All fed to a Sony CDX-F7500 Headunit via USB. www.wrx-carpc.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tissy View Post
                        The bezal does make easy work of mounting the LCD doesn't it.
                        Oh for sure....I'm always impressed when I see someone fabricate something new on these forums and feel lucky I didn't need to do all that much. Now I need to find a good OBDII scanner and program
                        My First Carputer

Comment

if i was you i would stay away from the basslink. its a decent product but you get very little bass for your buck- dont get me wrong i love infinity but the basslink is far less bass then you would get out of a decent 10 in a sealed box. just my 2 cents
                          btw clean install

Comment

Originally posted by 95rodeo View Post
                            if i was you i would stay away from the basslink. its a decent product but you get very little bass for your buck- dont get me wrong i love infinity but the basslink is far less bass then you would get out of a decent 10 in a sealed box. just my 2 cents
                            In my last car, 96 GTi, I had 2x 12" JL subs with a 2 channel Eclipse amp, and it sounded crazy loud....but I also had 4 Focal separates in the car powered with a 4 channel Eclipse amp....so I needed the bass for balance when I turned it up.

But with this car I would rather keep my trunk space and stay with the current OEM speakers so I wouldn't need much bass. That was the only reason I went this route.

T
                            My First Carputer

Comment

MobileT83 - Funny you should mention OBD, i working on becoming the UK distibutor for OBDPros. But since you are in the US, have alook at www.obdpros.com I don't think you will find many other OBD readers which work across all the protocols for that price.

Further more we have secured a 15% discount on the Digimoto software for all customers who purchase an OBDPros device. Digimoto is about to release version 5 which also is very good.

I can assure you this combination will work on your Subaru, as this is the setup i am running.

Send me and email / PM if you require any further info.
                              System - Epia SP13000 for Main PC, Holux GR-213 USB GPS Receiver SiRF Star III, 2.4Ghz Uplink with VNC and Custom designed USB Intelligent SDC (In DEV). All fed to a Sony CDX-F7500 Headunit via USB. www.wrx-carpc.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X